Car & Bike Tesla Model 3 battery pack

N

NotMyRealName

So this is the model 3's battery pack with the 2170 cells inside instead of the old 18650s.

For a look inside an actual 2170:

So the first video itself is a little too long and poorly edited (run it at 1.5x), but still a very interesting look inside the model 3's power source. I'm very impressed by the 2170 itself, around 5Ah capacity with almost 6amps of current output!

I watched that video months back don't recollect them ever testing the cell capacity. Second video is not of actual tesla cell.

It is speculated that the cell is around 5700 mah to 6000mah. The nearest commercially available 21700 from rivals are at 5000mah with 7.5a continous current. Tesla cells also have higher cycle life. The tesla cells are not exactly the highest current output cells on the market, Sony(now murata) and samsung have cells that can discharge at 20amps continuous even in 18650 format. While Murata 21700 cells are net yet publicly available, samsung 21700 cells are 3000mah cells with 30A dishcarge used mainly in power tools, or could be used in scooters or any application where space is constraint. They also have 4800mah cells with around 10A discharge which can be used for storage or large ev vehicles like cars or buses.

Tesla cells cannot give that many amps but have the industry highest capacity, they get away with that since their cars use a high battery pack voltage, currently highest among production EV. Future rivals have even higher battery pack voltage. It is always bettery to increase the voltage then increasing the current. volt x amps = watt

I watched that video months back don't recollect them ever testing the cell capacity. Second video is not of actual tesla cell.

He said he won't be completely stripping down the pack because he wants to use it for other purposes. And in all this time no one else seems to have done any real 2170 testing.

The dude who actually cracked the cell claims he got it from the tesla gigafactory, but this is the internet... :rolleyes:

Back