Swans M10 Review

Introduction

m10triovu9.jpg

This will be my first speaker review on TE. (First review on TE for that matter.) So apologies for any misused terms.

I was on the lookout for a speaker system. My first system was the Altec Lansing AVS 500(4.1) and the next was the Altec Lansing VS4121(2.1). I was looking for something a bit better this time. I was also considering a 2.0 system as it would be less hassle than a 2.1 speaker system with a huge sub on the floor. My initial options were

Logitech Z-4
Logitech Z-2300
Edifier S330D
Swan M10

Creative Gigaworks T20
Creative Gigaworks T40
M-Audio AV30
Klipsch Groove PM20
Bose Companion IIs

I asked for suggestions in a couple of forums and listened to the Bose,Klipsch, Z-4 and Z2300 speakers in a couple of showrooms. I discarded them from the list as the mids and highs did not seem that awesomely better than the VS4121 that I would like to spend two times the money on them. (I apologise for the structure of that sentence...). After reading a few more reviews, I decided on the Swan M10s.
[BREAK=Specs]
Specifications and Features

dsc00037ds7.jpg

[Taken from the sellers website.]

Specifications
Frequency Response: 42Hz-20kHz
Voltage Sensitivity: 600mv
Line Voltage & Frequency: 120v / 60Hz
Dimensions, woofer unit: 245 x 258 x 172mm
Dimensions, woofer unit: 9.7 x 10.2 x 6.8in.
Dimensions, satellites: 110 x 100 x 172mm
Dimensions, satellites: 4.3 x 4 x 6.8in.
System net weight: 5kg; 11lbs

Features
Magnetically shielded 2.1 multimedia system
Advanced 3" midwoofers
20mm soft dome tweeters
5" subwoofer
Internally amplified
Front panel control
120v / 60Hz only
Sculpted pearl white front baffle with black PVC enclosures

[BREAK=Packaging and Build Quality]
Packaging

dsc00031yl2.jpg

The speakers arrived in a double packaged setup. Two boxes and thermocoal placeholders inside. The Sub and Satellites were in individual cloth bags and there were even some white gloves to wear while putting them together. Everything was here in one piece, no chips/dents/holes in anything. :eek:hyeah:

Build Quality

dsc00039dq0.jpg

To be frank, I was worried a bit about the build quality. I am usually a very rough handler of all things electronic and these were made by an unknown (to me) chinese company. I need not have feared, these are sturdy little things. The finish looks very good and overall, they are a very slick looking set of speakers. The finish and build quality is definitely better than the VS4121 (of which I had to go through three boxes at the shop to find an undamaged piece.)

The only thing I may need to be careful about is that the satellites and sub do not have an mesh/grill. They may be easy to damage.

[BREAK=Setup]
Setup

Left Speaker
dsc00043qa1.jpg

Sub and Right Speaker
dsc00042oy7.jpg

Now, everywhere I read, it was suggested that the Sub in this system is not a sub in the traditional sense. It was suggested that it be kept on the table, between the satellites. This was a bit difficult to manage, so I ended up with the configuration shown below. I am looking for a way to hoist my monitor up a bit so that I can move the Sub to the center.

dsc00041fa9.jpg

[BREAK=Sound]
Sound

Now for the most important part, the sound. I tested the speakers with Music, a TV Show and Mirror's Edge.

Music

I don't listen to any Hip-Hop music or Metal, so if you are looking for how those sound on here, I am sorry, I cannot help you.

Ghost of Corporate Future - Regina Spketor
Ghosts - Laura Marling

The first songs I tried out were for the voices. Now, the best system I have heard these songs on are my old VS4121s so I may not have a good comparison metric, but I can say that they sounded better than the Bose and the Z-2300 I heard while shopping for speakers. The vocals were very clear and crisp.

Peacebone - Animal Collective
The Battle of Evermore
Jump on Foot - Holiday for Strings

These were the next songs I tried out. The system had no problems reproducing the huge number of different sounds in Peacebone. There was no blurring/merging of sounds in the song. This was a song that my VS4121 struggled with. And lets just say, I haven't heard any other system deal this well with Plant's voice.

Cochise - Audioslave
52' Ford - Murder by Death

Now, this was the area I was a tad worried about. Everyone seemed to say that the system was lacking in bass. They were right to the extent that it was missing the 'Thump' that Hip-Hop songs may require, but the bass reproduced for Cochise was perfect. The same song sounded very muddy on my old speaker system and I am perfectly happy with the lower frequencies put out by the M10.

TV Show

For this, I re-watched parts of last season's Dr. Who Christmas Special - The Next Doctor. There were no issues with the bass here. None of the action scenes felt as if something was lacking and the dialogues were very crisp and clear.

Games

I expected the system to fall a bit short for gaming. It was a pleasant surprise to see that it didn't. All the little sounds in Mirrors Edge (the sound made when you kick through a door, the birds flying away, the chopper in the distance) sounded very very nice. For the last week, I had been gaming with the EP-630s on. I did not find any loss in the lower frequencies moving to the speakers.

[BREAK=Final Thoughts]
Final Thoughts

I am glad the chance I took in buying these speakers without hearing them paid off. I was rather skeptical about the gaming performance of the system before I received it, but I find that I am very satisfied by the performances in all aspects. Now, there are a few minor annoyances that may put people off. They were not big issues to me, but I think I should list them out.

1) The sub has to be on the desk. Contrary to advice, I did try to place the sub on the floor. It was bad. It felt like I had the sub turned down to zero.
2) Related to the first point, the volume knob is on the sub and has a very bright light that may annoy people who leave their comps on the whole night. (Then again, you could use it as a night lamp.:p )
3) The on/off switch is on the back of the sub.
4) There is no headphone jack on the satellites. You'll have to use the front panel connectors of your cabinet.
5) Support may be non existent. RMA may take a long time, if you need to get it done.

Overall, the Swan M10s are a beautiful sounding (and beautiful looking) set of speakers that are well worth the price I paid for them. (120$). If your needs are similar to mine (Not a Basshead), this would be a very very good buy.

Thanks for reading the review. Please do post about any mistakes you may spot, I'll go ahead and fix them.

Nice review. The M10s use the M series of HiVi drivers (HiVi and Swan are the same company, one makes drivers the other, speakers), which are superb value and excellent midline performers.

Enjoy your speakers. The sub is not a sub, it's a low-frequency fill. But you need not keep it right in the center either, AFAIK. It can also be placed behind the monitor, or slightly to the side.

Enjoy your speakers.

Congrats on the purchase. My brother owns a pair of the older Swans M200. Those are some real beauties. One mistake i noticed on the first page though, the z-4 and the z-2300's are by logitech, not creative.

Good review :)

Any idea how these are compared to the AL mx5021 ?

I'll try to find out the availablity of these in India using the contact details in that suggestion thread.

Well done for the first review. Way to go! :thumb:

That blue ring of light around the knob sure is annoying, esp. when it has to be kept on the table. :(

@stalky: 120$ (last page).

Thanks everyone.

@sangram: Thanks for that info. That is a bit of a load off my mind. It would have started gnawing at me later, that I may not have them setup in the best possible configuration.

@Saiyan: I haven't had a chance to listen to the mx5021s. I thought the vocals sounded better on the M10 than on the Bose Companion IIs and the Klipsch Promedia 2.0s and 2.1s. So if you know how the Klipsch compare to the mx5021, maybe you could take that as an indication. (Well, I did listen to the Klipsch and Bose in a big showroom with a fair bit of ambient noise. But they didn't tempt me to pick them up, even with the added convenience of having the speakers a week earlier.)

@Grease Monk: Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed the typos. I kept making the same mistake even while googling for them and kept getting surprised why nothing showed up in the results. :ashamed:

@Gunman: Yeah, it is a bit annoying. Was asleep, just woke up to get some water, and the hypnotic blue light pulled me straight to the computer. :no:

Nice review and a awesome set of speakers :) Any idea from where and for how much we can get it in India ? Would love to get my hands on them to replace my old set of Altec AVS 300 :p

Repped and put it to portal :)

good review....

but m more than glad with my mx5021....(finally restored to its glory...thanx to rashi after 1 month of tiring rma procedure).....bass is punchy as it should be and treble is awesome..m satisfied:D.

Dark Star said:
Nice review and a awesome set of speakers :) Any idea from where and for how much we can get it in India ? Would love to get my hands on them to replace my old set of Altec AVS 300 :p

Repped and put it to portal :)

Thanks.

User prasadr suggested this place in Chennai for Swan speakers.

Pro-Med Instruments (P) Ltd.,Home Theater
Add: 9/1, 18th Avenue,Ashok Nagar,Chennai-600 083
Tel: 0091-44-42132295/42142295 Fax: 0091-44-42010488

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/speakers-suggestion-100-a-127123.html#post1029047

Thinking of making a bag for my mx's to make it somewhat easy to lug around. Anyone done something like that already.

Nice review, but this speaker set doesn't seem much exciting. Keeping the "sub" on the table as well as the location of volume controls make it a much less enticing alternative to the mx's which probably cost about the same with warranty. Does it have enough sound quality and portability to outweigh these factors?

Btw, does it have an audio out to plug in headphones etc?

chiron said:
Thinking of making a bag for my mx's to make it somewhat easy to lug around. Anyone done something like that already.

Nice review, but this speaker set doesn't seem much exciting. Keeping the "sub" on the table as well as the location of volume controls make it a much less enticing alternative to the mx's which probably cost about the same with warranty. Does it have enough sound quality and portability to outweigh these factors?

Btw, does it have an audio out to plug in headphones etc?

No, these definitely aren't exciting in the 'I want the window panes to vibrate' sense. But I think the sound quality is worth the other annoyances I listed in the last page. (Including not having a headphone port.)

^^ I think on the last page of the review its mentioned that there are no headphone jacks on the system

Edit: Somone got there before me !

Congrats on the purchase btw ! :hap2:

Nice review. After reading this review, I have decided to replace my altec lansing 5.1 with Swans M-10.

Congrats on your purchase....

I received Swans M-10 speakers yesterday. Sounds very sweet and original. Vocals are very clear. A good replacement for my altec lansing 251.

Thanks @whatsinaname and TE for putting up such a good review of SWANS M-10. Your reveiw helped me in my buying decision.:)

Back