Suggestions for Database Library...

Vagabond

Adept
Hello All,

Need some inputs for Database library creation for our organisation.

Basically I work in Virtual testing (Finite Element Analysis) for a leading lift truck automotive company in India. The company is spread across all the world catering mainly to US and Europe regions. The company is subdivided in various divisions based on product type and capacities. We have a functional excellence team (FET) who are doing simulation work for respective divisions. We at India (7 members) work as consultant in this simulation tasks. We get the regular jobs from major divisions but few divisions carry out the jobs on their own too !

During the FET meeting we proposed to create a database of all the projects that we as organisation have done till date. The purpose of it will be to know all the jobs done, trucks/its component tested, tools used, techniques used, etc. If someone intends to do an analysis task he can search and if similar job is done previously then he can quickly check it in database and get the details from it.

As a consultant in India, we have advantage of being dealing / interacting with all divisions. Making this database would definitely open opportunities for us as someone from new division who doesn`t have the resource to do the job or the tool to execute at their site might just refer the database and request us to carry the job. Our team is working since a decade and have the most jobs done across all divisions. Tool wise we have the most number of licences required, the tools are Ansys and Hypermesh. We have also started to look to expand our capabilities towards CFD jobs as well.

The intended database could be simply an excel sheet, sorted the jobs – date wise, division wise, product or component wise etc.

As of now I could only think of excel, need to explore other options as well from people here who might have done something similar. An excel will be quick but for in house projects. We need to ask all divisions to provide same in pre-defined format. The response depends on how easy and quick it will be for them to fill in those details and share with us.

Thinking about tools available with us to build this database are Microsoft office, share point site etc. Can I use a simple sites like surveymonkey but don`t know how easy it would be for the colleagues to fill it up ?

Let me suggest tools that I can use to create this database.

Not sure if I posted in correct section, Admins please move to appropriate section if required.

if you want excel then have you looked at cloud services such as office 365 or google docs so its easy to collaborate and share the spread sheet globally?

if you want excel then have you looked at cloud services such as office 365 or google docs so its easy to collaborate and share the spread sheet globally?

We don`t have office 365 nor access to Google services, even Gmail in India is blocked.

I have been suggested about Microsoft Share Point forms, but no experience with it.

Go with SQL for the backend, frontend you can use Office WebApps - these need a server to be deployed. Also Sharepoint can help

@tommy_vercetti can help. We were looking for an email+web based application for approval.

From what I read in your post, this functionality can be easily achieved in SharePoint via a custom list where in you can define the fields and columns you require just like Excel and the user can input details to the pre determined fields, can be achieved in .Net as well provided you know to code, if you plan SharePoint you need to have a decent server to install it

Back