Suggestions for buying a new Router please

Hi friends,
I have a 200 Mbps plan from ACT. My current router is getting me only 100 Mbps speeds. So I have been looking around to buy a new router. From what I have found so far I need a router with AC 1200 or higher with gigabyte ports. I was looking at Asus RT-AC58U as an option. My flat is around 1300 sqft. Just wanted to ask you people what will be a good buy for this type of connection? Please let me know.
Thank you.

I too am looking for one. I have a Dlink DIR-615 which goes for around 800/-, its give me 10mbps at farthest corner in one phone and 1mbps in another both with lots of packet loss. Thinking of getting archer C1200 since its gigabit too but don't have knowledge of router strength. Also thinking of just getting a repeater or cat 5 splitter but it might cause issue with isp or rain etc

Get the Netgear X4S. It's the top rated router for throughput and range.

Otherwise a Ethernet only router and an access point. Can't be beat for coverage.

A Netgear Nighthawk R7000 too is pretty robust, speed and coverage wise and with support for third party firmware. Was using it with my 150 Mbps ACT in a 1650 sq ft house on one floor. Have since moved to an Orbi mesh setup though, since I needed coverage over two floors

Get a tenda AC10 @ 2699 from flipkart or TP-Link C1200 @ 2750 from Amazon in budget range.
Asus RT-AC58U from amazon @ 4800 or TP-Link Archer C7 @ 5000 or Netger R6350 @4800 from amazon in mid range.

I too am looking for one. I have a Dlink DIR-615 which goes for around 800/-, its give me 10mbps at farthest corner in one phone and 1mbps in another both with lots of packet loss. Thinking of getting archer C1200 since its gigabit too but don't have knowledge of router strength. Also thinking of just getting a repeater or cat 5 splitter but it might cause issue with isp or rain etc
My appartment has a carpet area of 1250 sqft. my router tp-link C1200 is placed in the first room and i get good coverage in all my roomes.

What i can tell is :- 5GHz coverage is better for this router compared to 2.4 Ghz ........IN TERMS OF THROUGHPUT. ..........SOUNDS STRANGE BUT TRUE.

C1200 has an upgraded model named A7. (check out US amazon.com)
Also Wait for Archer c6 to launch.It will be a better option than C1200 as C1200 does not support Mu-MIMO.

Last edited:
I was debating between tenda AC15 and Asus RT-58U.
Since I did not find many reviews about tenda I went ahead and got the Asus RT-58U.
Had it for only a couple of days now. Coverage for 5GHz looks ok so far.

I'm not in a hurry to buy and won't spend a lot so C1200 or C6 seems ok. Maybe when it is discounted.

But I'm not sure if it will be an upgrade in signal strength. Reading around it doesn't seem so, router quality seems to effect top speed and congestion handling most. The statistics on router pages are confusing and different. Maybe Some chart like those big cpu review chart would also help. I also don't think amazon accepts complete returns (i.e money back without any defect)

How/why are these high-end routers cheaper in india than the US?
Not always... I've always found Asus to be on the higher side (at least the models I've wanted). Netgear OTOH has been on par (or even lower)... and the reason I've bought them the most.

Then again prices of Ubiquiti are highway robbery... over 200% markup even on entry models.

Back