Suggest a Home UPS which can run 3 fans and 3 lights for 2-3 hours...

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I have APC power backup for my PC. I am looking for a home UPS which can run 3 fans and 3 lights for 2-3 hours on full charge.

I really do not have much idea about UPS and how they function. I understand that UPS is a separate unit and Batteries are separate. Also I do not know where the word "Inverter" is used in this context.

I have heard that APC UPS is not recommended for home use. Is that so? Why?

Thanks,

Deepak.

Eagerly expecting a reply!

Home ups also called as inverter

iam using sukam 450va sinewave homeups with exide invaqueen 100ah battery for 2years without problem

it gives me 4hours backup for 2fans and two18watt cfls.

ups used for computers contain low ampere hour batteries gives less backup time.

they are also small in size and dry maintainance free batteries useally resides inside ups itself

home ups and pc ups also differ in their functionality also

apc also sells home ups for this purpose seperately

Today I went to a store and learned something. I saw an 800 VA Inverter from Whirlpool. They say that it can also function as a PC UPS. There seems to be a mode switch in the back which can switch between UPS & Normal operation. He had a 150Ah battery to go along with it and it costed 22k.

Su-kam also seems to be a good company on par with Whirlpool.

In the mean time my dad has looked into a v-guard home UPS with 100 Ah battery.

Now which is the best among these? V-guard, Whirlpool and Su-Kam.

my sukam ups also have that ups function

but it wears out battery fast

iam using sukam without any problems for past 2years i don't know about other two brands

sukam 800va puresinwave+exide 150Ah costs around 18k

Today I went to a store and learned something. I saw an 800 VA Inverter from Whirlpool. They say that it can also function as a PC UPS. There seems to be a mode switch in the back which can switch between UPS & Normal operation. He had a 150Ah battery to go along with it and it costed 22k.

Su-kam also seems to be a good company on par with Whirlpool.

In the mean time my dad has looked into a v-guard home UPS with 100 Ah battery.

Now which is the best among these? V-guard, Whirlpool and Su-Kam.

SU-KAM, Luminous are the best. All these have a switch to change mode to UPS or Inverter. I would recommend you to buy 850VA sinewave from any of these brands. There is a marginal difference in the cost of the inverter alone. I dont think it should cost more than 5.5K for the 850VA inverter/UPS be it any brand.

The battery capacity is of your choice. For your requirement even a 100Ah battery is more than sufficient and EXIDE 100AH might cost about 8-9K.

I think the whole set up must not cost you more than 14K.

I am using APC 800 VA sine wave inverter with Exide 100 AH batter. I have been using it from past 1 year without any issue. It is also having inverter/UPS switch. UPS function will drain your battery very fast as compaired to inverter.

UPS mode will have no effect on the battery at all, EXCEPT that the inverter will switch over to battery if the voltage goes outisde the 200-260 v range instead of 170/180-280v range which is applicable in inverter mode

UPS mode will have no effect on the battery at all, EXCEPT that the inverter will switch over to battery if the voltage goes outisde the 200-260 v range instead of 170/180-280v range which is applicable in inverter mode

If there is no change in battery drain, then why is there a switch for it. And since many people say that it drains battery, I guess it will. Are you sure about it?

I am using APC 800 VA sine wave inverter with Exide 100 AH batter. I have been using it from past 1 year without any issue. It is also having inverter/UPS switch. UPS function will drain your battery very fast as compaired to inverter.

Can you give me the link to the Sine Wave APC UPS 800VA? I did have a look at APC products but I saw only a Square ware 800VA UPS in Home use series.

If there is no change in battery drain, then why is there a switch for it. And since many people say that it drains battery, I guess it will. Are you sure about it?

100% sure

the switch is there because most places dont have a decent input voltage, so the inverter will keep switching to battery mode

As long as your input voltage is in the UPS mode operation range, use the UPS mode

100% sure

the switch is there because most places dont have a decent input voltage, so the inverter will keep switching to battery mode

As long as your input voltage is in the UPS mode operation range, use the UPS mode

The following information is given in the APC user mannual. Does it mean that it will give

less backup up as compiared to on inverter mode?

UPS: Use with personal computer and small electronic devices that require a regulated

input range of 190-260 Vac. The Home UPS will ensure that connected equipment is

only exposed to safe voltages by switching to battery power more often. This will

decrease battery run time.

INVERTER: Use with household lights, fans, and other home electronic appliances that

can tolerate less regulated input voltage ranges of 100-290 Vac. In this mode, the unit

will switch to battery power less often.

I have decided to go with v_Guard DU Series 800VA Sine wave inverter with 100Ah Exide Battery.

For my PC I have APC BackUPS Pro + Battery Kit. Gives me a 4-5 hour backup with 1 Mac Mini and 1 Windows PC.

nzyWE.jpg

The following information is given in the APC user mannual. Does it mean that it will give

less backup up as compiared to on inverter mode?

UPS: Use with personal computer and small electronic devices that require a regulated

input range of 190-260 Vac. The Home UPS will ensure that connected equipment is

only exposed to safe voltages by switching to battery power more often. This will

decrease battery run time.

INVERTER: Use with household lights, fans, and other home electronic appliances that

can tolerate less regulated input voltage ranges of 100-290 Vac. In this mode, the unit

will switch to battery power less often.

Depends entirely on your input voltages

As I had said, if your input voltage remains in the UPS mode range (190-260V), there wont be any difference in the battery life

If your input voltage goes outside this range, then the UPS will treat it as a power failure and hence run on battery

I have decided to go with v_Guard DU Series 800VA Sine wave inverter with 100Ah Exide Battery.

For my PC I have APC BackUPS Pro + Battery Kit. Gives me a 4-5 hour backup with 1 Mac Mini and 1 Windows PC.

How much did the APC+battery cost?

Depends entirely on your input voltages

As I had said, if your input voltage remains in the UPS mode range (190-260V), there wont be any difference in the battery life

If your input voltage goes outside this range, then the UPS will treat it as a power failure and hence run on battery

How much did the APC+battery cost?

13800 Total. 7500+6300

Back