Storage Solutions Storage Suggestion | NAS or hard drives in PC ?

Jules Goes

Disciple
Hi, I`m into wedding photo and cinematography and also into short films & VFX . So i need alot of storage in near future , and help in selecting the best option , NAS or use hard drives in PC. ( sometime year end planning a AMD system build too. ) below is my current setup

5960x
16 ram
Asus x99 E-WS
samsung evo 256
4 tb

thinking of adding two 4 TB in raid 1

Thanks

Will you be accessing data from different devices or will always use PC for your editing etc. Then Nas doesnt add any benefit. Just keep replication between drives if data is important and if a drive fails.

it depends a lot on how valuable the data is on your storage. Ideally, if you want to protect everything to a reasonable level, two nas systems placed at different locations running rsync. Also a lot depends on scalability. ability to buy storage when needed instead of huge initial setup and few other factors.

Depends on what type of film you are editing.

If you put a NAS or another computer system as NAS - it will provide 1Gbps over LAN max. This will equate to 100MBps usually. Plus, there are overheads on LAN.

EDIT - The best option would always be to keep local storage for editing and throw the stuff on a entry level Synology NAS which would then upload the same to Google Drive or Dropbox etc. That will allow you to keep a online copy safe.

Last edited:
Back