Stolen iPhone 7 32 GB

I don't have an iphone (and don't want one), I don't know how it works, but on my phone there are many things for theft protection. For example you can track it using GPS, also if someone changes the sim card on it, I'll get a message about it. There were also many other options of security, but I don't use all that, because I think that the best protection is alertness and being cautious. But this is an iphone after all. It's supposed to be one step ahead! Why doesn't it make a signal when it's more than 3 metres away from the owner? By the way, there are special key chains that start beeping if it gets far away from you, you can attach one of those to your phone.

I don't have an iphone (and don't want one), I don't know how it works, but on my phone there are many things for theft protection. For example you can track it using GPS, also if someone changes the sim card on it, I'll get a message about it. There were also many other options of security, but I don't use all that, because I think that the best protection is alertness and being cautious. But this is an iphone after all. It's supposed to be one step ahead! Why doesn't it make a signal when it's more than 3 metres away from the owner? By the way, there are special key chains that start beeping if it gets far away from you, you can attach one of those to your phone.
Well I just lost my phone yesterday in my dad's hometown. It is redmi note 3. It has all the features you mentioned. Lets see If I find it. I lost it when I was touring my coconut farm so its highly unlikely someone will find it in 2~3 days

I wonder what happens to people who buy iPhones on EMI 6/12 months. And then gangs operating in metro/bus/railway steal it from their pockets. And they have to pay the EMI for the phone for 12 months with interest. I'm glad atleast I paid in full at once. As per my personal experience, nothing can be done after you lost an iPhone or any phone for that matter. GPS tracking will only work on spot if you have another iPhone or if you have reached your home and open the iCloud website and track it from there. In the second case the thief would've already found a way to hide the phone or reached his hiding spot. Cops don't do anything other than put the IMEI no. on blacklist which can be countered by the thieves by selling spare parts. And nowadays cops themselves don't take mobile theft seriously even if the phone is priced at 3L Rs. They won't even ask you to share the iCloud details so they can track the phone's last location. They will simply ask you to file an online FIR with the IMEI no. and once you have done that, you will never hear from them again. After all, think of it this way- An iPhone is just a physical object made of physical parts which can be disassembled easily at a black market or switched off to disable tracking(this one is simple eh?), so unless there is a live tracker chip embedded inside it which operates 24/7 on unlimited power source, it is impossible to recover it. And yes, there are apps available nowadays for both iOS and Android which make a loud beeping noise if the phone is moved from a user's pocket. Those work on proximity sensor? Keep it installed incase you are in a jam crowded public place :p

Last edited:
How about being careful in the first place even before you lose the phone? I am not saying its guaranteed protection, but its better to prevent a theft than to track one thereafter. Dont you think?
I wonder what happens to people who buy iPhones on EMI 6/12 months. And then gangs operating in metro/bus/railway steal it from their pockets. And they have to pay the EMI for the phone for 12 months with interest. I'm glad atleast I paid in full at once. As per my personal experience, nothing can be done after you lost an iPhone or any phone for that matter. GPS tracking will only work on spot if you have another iPhone or if you have reached your home and open the iCloud website and track it from there. In the second case the thief would've already found a way to hide the phone or reached his hiding spot. Cops don't do anything other than put the IMEI no. on blacklist which can be countered by the thieves by selling spare parts. And nowadays cops themselves don't take mobile theft seriously even if the phone is priced at 3L Rs. They won't even ask you to share the iCloud details so they can track the phone's last location. They will simply ask you to file an online FIR with the IMEI no. and once you have done that, you will never hear from them again. After all, think of it this way- An iPhone is just a physical object made of physical parts which can be disassembled easily at a black market or switched off to disable tracking(this one is simple eh?), so unless there is a live tracker chip embedded inside it which operates 24/7 on unlimited power source, it is impossible to recover it. And yes, there are apps available nowadays for both iOS and Android which make a loud beeping noise if the phone is moved from a user's pocket. Those work on proximity sensor? Keep it installed incase you are in a jam crowded public place :p

How about being careful in the first place even before you lose the phone? I am not saying its guaranteed protection, but its better to prevent a theft than to track one thereafter. Dont you think?

I don't know who the bigger fraud is. The thief or the insurance companies which say they provide theft insurance to unaware buyers(walking right in to their trap) and later on frustrate you with huge complex formalities which are unlikely possible to be fulfilled within time. Who can blame the buyer who is new to this world of smartphones and is unaware of how insurance companies loot people and is tempted to buy an iPhone on TVs, Internet, social media, friends etc I was not even provided proper support by my father because he didn't want the money back

Last edited:
If GPS is turned off on your phone, then it'll be hard to find it. Hopefully you had managed the preferences so that when you change your sim card you receive an sms, but anyone rarely sets this up in their phones. And the most important thing is that, hopefully, if anyone finds it they will return it. I personally returned phones many times. Last time it was really hard for me to do it, because the phone's battery died, and when I charged it and turned it on, it requested the unlock pattern. So I did a hard-reset of the phone and turned it on again... but then it asked me for a pin-code!!! Because of the owner who wanted to protect himself, I couldn't find him. I then inserted my sim card and an sms was sent from the phone. This is how I found the owner. People, don't set up a pin code as it makes it hard to return your phone! It was a samsung.

This thread should be a lesson to always carry your iPhone in your hands, and never in your pocket especially if you're travelling in bus, railway, metro etc Once stolen the thief will use the spare parts or wait until IMEI tracking is over. They know all the INs and OUTs. I still can't find the IMEI no. of my phone on Delhi Police website, even though I filed an online FIR. The IMEI no. is not showing in search results on lost/stolen phones. It's more than 1 year since I reported it

If GPS is turned off on your phone, then it'll be hard to find it. Hopefully you had managed the preferences so that when you change your sim card you receive an sms, but anyone rarely sets this up in their phones. And the most important thing is that, hopefully, if anyone finds it they will return it. I personally returned phones many times. Last time it was really hard for me to do it, because the phone's battery died, and when I charged it and turned it on, it requested the unlock pattern. So I did a hard-reset of the phone and turned it on again... but then it asked me for a pin-code!!! Because of the owner who wanted to protect himself, I couldn't find him. I then inserted my sim card and an sms was sent from the phone. This is how I found the owner. People, don't set up a pin code as it makes it hard to return your phone! It was a samsung.
It is better to setup the PIN or Pattern for protection. This will make it harder for the real thieves to get into a phone. Instead better to have a lock screen message with contact details in case it is lost. If someone intends to return the phone it should be enough for him/her to find the owner,

^ I did all that still didn't find my phone. But I dropped it in a farm so I think the phone just switched off itself.

protip, also have sim lock enbled in pone settings so that if someone removes your sim and places another sim, it wouldn't work

I totally agree with you, rakesh_ic, first of all you need to be very careful and keep an eye on your things, especially in crowded places, it's better to play safe and put things to a secure place.

I totally agree with you, rakesh_ic, first of all you need to be very careful and keep an eye on your things, especially in crowded places, it's better to play safe and put things to a secure place.

I have problem with my eyesight, and I haven't checked up with an ophthalmologist to get glasses(had an eye operation before). It's very hard, believe me. When you have to travel everyday in the metro with an iPhone in your hands/pocket with no history of stuff getting stolen in public places before. But now I'm fully aware of the damage that it can cause me. So I have decided to not travel in the metro ever(especially now that I have purchased a One Plus 5T) except when I'm going out of station or to the Airport. Then too I will book an OLA or UBER to avoid such incidents

Btw this isn't a case which happens rarely. Recently a 15L Rs Toyota was stolen from our neighbourhood, the driver drove the car right in front of the security guard at 4:30 AM and he suspected it and informed the owner of the car who later filed a FIR, the car was never found. Recently my aunt also lost 1L worth of jewellery stolen from her pursebag while travelling in a shared auto. Such incidents take place everyday, yet government doesn't care or invent gadgets to prevent such incidents

This is quite involved and is likely an exception.

When a friend of mine had her just delivered brand new iphone 6 pinched right out of her office by renovation people. she reported it. She then bought another iphone 6. Several months later it showed up on apple's website. She called the cops, they found it and delivered it to her a week later. She now has two iphones.

It had change hands three times and some unsuspecting student paid 18k for it and had to hand it over.

People were asking how much she bribed the cops to get it ? nothing, they did their job and scolded her and said she should be more careful in the future.

The pattern seems to be to pass it on at a margin. Less work easy money

This is quite involved and is likely an exception.

When a friend of mine had her just delivered brand new iphone 6 pinched right out of her office by renovation people. she reported it. She then bought another iphone 6. Several months later it showed up on apple's website. She called the cops, they found it and delivered it to her a week later. She now has two iphones.

It had change hands three times and some unsuspecting student paid 18k for it and had to hand it over.

People were asking how much she bribed the cops to get it ? nothing, they did their job and scolded her and said she should be more careful in the future.

The pattern seems to be to pass it on at a margin. Less work easy money

Wait what? So the guy was using her mobile phone, but yet police was unable to track it through IMEI no.? Now I'm confused. This means IMEI tracking can be fooled? or doesn't work or the cops just don't do anything unless you provide them with proof?

Wait what? So the guy was using her mobile phone, but yet police was unable to track it through IMEI no.? Now I'm confused. This means IMEI tracking can be fooled? or doesn't work or the cops just don't do anything unless you provide them with proof?
no, he was using the phone, it showed up on apple's website. This was the proof the cops needed to move in. They don't move otherwise. And a week later they recovered the phone

iphones have imei tracking. I don't fully understand the details here its a surmise. Not android

Changing imei isn't easy. Resetting the phone doesn't mean it won't track it anymore.

iphones are harder to steal

Last edited:
no, he was using the phone, it showed up on apple's website. This was the proof the cops needed to move in. They don't move otherwise. And a week later they recovered the phone

iphones have imei tracking. I don't fully understand the details here its a surmise. Not android

Changing imei isn't easy. Resetting the phone doesn't mean it won't track it anymore.

iphones are harder to steal

I don't understand theft protection and IMEI tracking neither. That's why I'm asking. Does IMEI tracking work at all? It's more than 1 year since I lost my phone and it hasn't yet been recovered. Has anyone checked this article? Hindustan Times claims IMEI no. of Android phones can be easily changed using a device called flasher- https://www.hindustantimes.com/delh...olen-phones/story-2vlTNSOMrMVVjtiKyopnPM.html
Why do police never manage to trace lost or stolen cell phones? The culprit is a small gadget code named ‘Flasher’. Not bigger than the regular cell phone battery back-up, it has now become a cause of concern for the police and intelligence agencies.

On November 9, the Delhi police recovered four ‘flashers’ from two men, who over the last four months changed the IMEI or unique identification numbers of over 1000 stolen phones and resold them in the open. During the raid of their store in Ballimaran, Old Delhi, 401 cell phones were recovered by the cops.

The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique 15-digit number on every phone. It is used by the police to trace cell phones. The IMEI number helps police track any cell phone to the exact tower the minute a call is made, even if a different SIM card is used. The IMEI number is believed to be tamper proof and different for every cell phone.

The two arrested men ran a racket of reselling stolen mobile phones. They received stolen phones from thieves and pick pockets across the city and sold them after changing the IMEI numbers.

Mohammed Shafi and Waseem, both from Old Delhi, revealed that it took them less than 10 minutes to change the IMEI numbers. Police say that in central Delhi’s Gaffar Market, from where the two claim to have bought the four ‘flashers,’ the device is sold discreetly for anywhere between ₹2,000- 5,000. It is not sold in the open or on e-shopping portals.

“All you need is a USB cord, a CD that comes with the flasher and a computer. The two men showed us that after opening the CD files on the computer, all they have to do is to connect the phone to the laptop using the flasher. There is an option to either use a new 15 digit number as the IMEI or put a number of one’s choice. Once the IMEI is erased, the phone can never be traced,” said Inspector Satender Mohan, who arrested the two men.

The two, police said, were the biggest receivers of stolen mobile phones. Police say that though it is illegal to change the IMEI number, those dealing in stolen phones use it across the city.

In Delhi, around 110 cell phones are reported stolen every day. Police believe the number could be higher as often people do not bother to inform the police about lost phones. Cell phone also tops the list of the most common items stolen every day.

‘FLASHERS DON’T WORK ON iPHONES’

During their interrogation, the two men confessed that ‘Flashers’ do not work on Apple phones. Out of the 401 smartphones police recovered, 32 were iPhone 6 and 6S. The two told police that in Delhi’s stolen phone market, while IMEIs are changed and phones resold, Apple phones are always dismantled and their parts sold separately. The two also told police that many shopkeepers in the grey market are trying different devices and softwares to change IMEI of iPhones. “The screens of Apple phones are in great demand. A stolen iPhone is usually not used because it is risky. It is always dismantled for its parts,” an officer said.

‘STOLEN CELL PHONES - A GREAT BUSINESS’

As cell phones are the easiest to steal, there is an organised chain of thieves and receivers across the city. From the 401 cell phones recovered, police found that the phones were stolen not just from Delhi but other states too such as Gujarat and Maharashtra. Shafi and Waseem bought the stolen phones from different pick pocket gangs and thieves across the city at 10-20 % of the phone’s price and sold it at 40-50% depending on its condition. Shafi who worked as a phone repairman told police that he bought new Apple phones at around ₹4,000- 5,000.

Last edited:
Back