Star Citizen - Discussion Thread

OMG Wheels - its you! Long time man. Hope you're well. :)

I imagine that problem being magnified a 100 times in a space-sim with the scope that SC has promised.
If it fails, back to Freespace because there's nothing else.

Well, there IS always a certain amount of risk with these sort of projects, particularly considering the scale CR has promised with SC. Add to this the fact that SC is not really a "pure" sims but includes FPS elements as well and one does get the feeling that things are being stretched a bit far. I don't know what YOUR personal expectations are from SC but I believe the game will have succeeded (in my eyes) based on the fact that the flying/trading/fighting (in ships) portion works. If the FPS elements work as well, then I will take that as a definite bonus.

Also after having sold ships to players for $1000 each, how will they justify normal players getting access to the same content in a reasonable time frame that feels fast enough for the basic player but not fast enough to piss off someone who paid $1000?

That's a balancing act that a lot of people are apprehensive about, so you're not alone there. How the game balances this out is what will decide whether people will play on the PU or are pushed out the DOOR to go and run their own private servers where they will be able to fly whichever ship they want from the get go without any sort of wait/grind.

If you are particularly interested in the Idris, there are quicker ways of obtaining one in-game without the usual grind, provided you have the gumption to do so. Become a pirate (or join a guild) that wants to hijack one. Of course this won't be easy but its always an option.

In any case, why on earth would you want an Idris? Its the last of the ships I would ever consider getting in SC. True, its big and powerful but you can't fly it alone unless you want to lose it quickly. See my analogy above regarding the X-Wing and the Death Star. Different ships serve different roles. There is no "kill everything" player controllable ship in SC and probably never will be.

This can quickly crash and burn into an enormous Pay2Win disaster. One for the history books with a nearly 20 million dollar Kickstarter.

The total stands at $34 Million actually - SC just added another mill! :)

Btw Ricky, how 'sim-ey' will this be? Full on Falcon 4.0 grade where you have to have the best HOTAS setup and a double PhD or will it be like Freespace where a mouse setup works just as well?
I can only support 1 expensive hobby :(.

All the below points are speculation by me and should be treated as such, but I would say yes and no.

It wont be "Falcon 4 grade", less than 0.5% chance of that level of complexity.

To be fair though, SC has always stated itself from day one as a game made for space sim fans. Therefore, some amount of complexity is to be expected. However there are sure to be some players for whom SC will be their first space sim ever (or are simply "casual simmers"), so they will be looked after as well. I think SC will (hopefully) be fairly deep, enough to satisfy "sim nuts" while sporting a fairly shallow learning curve so that other casual, non-sim type players aren't immediately overwhelmed.

Plus, don't forget that SC also has a "Squadron 42" that supports a full SP campaign! This campaign will go a long way in helping players new to the genre to come to terms with flying, dog fighting, controls etc. in a much more sterile, user controlled environment where they can take all the time they want to learn the intricacies of space combat.

Coming to your point on controllers. SC will support advanced stick setups (HOTAS and the like) as well as the Occulus rift!! Having said that, it will also work with a mouse/keyb and (most likely) a game pad (this is what CR actually used to demo the game initially).

Will one control system be superior to another? Hard to say, but I would imagine yes, there would be advantages to say a RIFT/HOTAS setup versus just about anything else. Not necessarily because of the controllers themselves, but rather because of how they would allow players to use that setup and not have to bother with a keyboard or mouse at all. How much of an advantage (if any) a setup will have over another is hard to say. We'll only get some idea when the SC Alpha/Beta are released and things are actually tested.

I played Freespace with a Stick so I can't comment on mouse controls in that game but if you were referring to "Freelancer" type of "mouse flight" controls, well then yes they will be there but don't expect them to be like they were in Freelancer. Freelancer's controls essentially converted a "space sim" into a "FPS" using a mouse and keyboard. It didn't even support any sticks. I hated those controls because it was the first sim (and thankfully the last) where I was "forced" to play using a keyboard/mouse with no stick support whatsoever. I do however understand that not everyone wants to "invest" in a joystick, let alone a HOTAS or Rift, so there should be options aplenty.

Personally I don't think simply using a key/mouse combo would be a problem in SC. Nowadays you can get a VERY DECENT STICK for just $30. Its all you will need. That's 1800 bucks and it will last you for YEARS and YEARS across many games - much more than your existing mouse will for that matter.

Please get LOCKED into the game. Get the entry level package (trust me, its ALL YOU NEED) and join the SC bandwagon! :)

Last edited:
Haha I remember Falcon 4.0. Friend gave it to me, installed it, tried to take off for 10 mins, couldn't. The figured out how to lock and fire a missile, somehow managed to start a mission mid air, blew up a friendly wingman and promptly crashed to ground while trying to engage an enemy. Then I saw the 400 page manual and said fck it, uninstalled.

:p Well that was possibly BEFORE the days of youtube! There's lots of help on hand now. Heres a tut specially for you in case you want to give it another crack. The tut is titled -

"Request permission to take off, taxi and take off - without exploding horribly" - which is why I think its exactly what you are looking for! ;)

If you think Falcon 4 is hard, see the DCS A-10 startup (or DCS BlackShark) for a real eyeopener. Of course this can be skipped entirely (if one wishes to do so) but it just goes to show you the incredible level of detail in "hardcore" sims and why they are a near extinct species. And oh yea, this is just "Part 1". :p

On topic, I doubt it will be very "sim-ey", maybe a middle ground between HAWX and Falcon.

I think that's a very good analogy indeed...

Last edited:
OMG Wheels - its you! Long time man. Hope you're well. :)
Hi :p.

Well, there IS always a certain amount of risk with these sort of projects, particularly considering the scale CR has promised with SC. Add to this the fact that SC is not really a "pure" sims but includes FPS elements as well and one does get the feeling that things are being stretched a bit far. I don't know what YOUR personal expectations are from SC but I believe the game will have succeeded (in my eyes) based on the fact that the flying/trading/fighting (in ships) portion works. If the FPS elements work as well, then I will take that as a definite bonus.
My personal expectation is more FreeSpace, less Freelancer. Controls wise (as you said Freelancer was pretty much an fps in space) as well as gameplay.
I didn't like the excessive focus on trading in Freelancer. I like dogfighting more which FreeSpace absolutely nailed with avionics that were just right, they were advanced enough to make one feel smart but not overly so that one couldn't ever get the hang of it.

Maybe I could get on board with the trading aspects too if they are well done. Freelancer trading iirc was basically simple back and forth taxi missions with random goons attacking you en route. That just felt forced and boring.

^Does this mean you are considering SC? If so, good to hear. :)
LOL at the Galaxy Quest link. Don't worry, we're all pretty much in the same boat.
Besides, I hear you've become a very pro BF4 pilot who actually charges REAL CASH cash to fly missions for several pro BF4 Clans![DOUBLEPOST=1388846668][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe i will make it a christmas gift to myself ;)

Christmas has come and gone. Have you joined the club yet? Or did you mean Christmas 2014? Not that it matters as the game is not out till 2015 anyway...

^Does this mean you are considering SC? If so, good to hear. :)
LOL at the Galaxy Quest link. Don't worry, we're all pretty much in the same boat.
i'm planning to upgrade the PC after sometime. most probably will buy after that. who doesnt want to be Captain Mal ;)

Besides, I hear you've become a very pro BF4 pilot who actually charges REAL CASH cash to fly missions for several pro BF4 Clans!
ha!! what? nothing of that sort... i'm just an average player bro. not a pro in anything, just fool around with everything :p

_

@Rickyk Will soon jump the wagon. Checking out a vids in spare time to finalize.

This is a game i will wait for seeing as this will never be taken over by EA. (They ruined my PvZ :banghead: )

They reached 36 million in crowdfunding last night and passed 350,000 backers a few days ago.

Also, my Freelancer cockpit is getting an upgrade that improves visibility by removing the window struts. Very pleased about that :)

FreelancerMIS-DUR_CockpitView_OptA_Hobbins.png

For those that want a fix of a space flight arcade shooter on the cheap (while waiting for Star Citizen to come out), Strike Suit Zero has just been added to the Humble Indie Bundle X. At the time of this post, pay more than $ 5.34 and get this game along with 8 other games.

I will consider this when it is a finished product and I know what I am spending my money on. Or maybe after they release a feature complete playable beta.

Something tells me this game is going to be the biggest phantomware ever. It's gonna blow up like anything :p.
There's still no videos of actual gameplay, all they keep doing is releasing new renders of high quality models.

This particular thing happens far too often in the sim modding community. Some guy will release amazing renders of a car, detailed cockpit views, and then drop off the face of the earth owing to lack of direction or motivation.

Just saw this post - of course there are videos of actual game play. There was a live streaming event couple of months back with CR and his team showing the MP dog fighting module. Its there on youtube as well.

Also, SC hit $40 Million and added another 10,000 new players to boot.

Now will you get on board wheels..? :p

I was following that on Reddit. Some dude paid the rent for their starbase which somehow didn't go through. The base became free territory, people swooped in and all hell broke loose.

The DFM is limited right now. Only 3 ships are implemented so if you don't own any of them, you're given a similar ship to play with. Multiplayer access is only available to very few people right now. Single player is basically horde mode but you run out of ammo pretty quick and I'm not sure what you're supposed to do after that. The game itself looks drop dead gorgeous though.

Back