Star Citizen - Discussion Thread

Rickyk

Skilled
The Pitch video is an absolute MUST SEE for PC Space sim fans. Link -

Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Theres an article on Shack as well.

Star Citizen is Wing Commander creator's next - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Info from Gamespy -

"Chris Roberts, the man known as the design visionary behind Wing Commander and Freelancer, has a problem with saying no. Believe me, I spent the better part of an hour last week trying to get him to say that word as we discussed the planned features of Star Citizen, his in-the-works CryEngine 3-based space game and its single-player component, Squadron 42. If it ends up being even half of what he promises, we could be looking at the second coming of not just Wing Commander and Privateer, but virtually everything anyone could ever ask for in an open-universe space game.

Roberts says the video in the trailer was captured using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670, which, by the time Star Citizen arrives, will be a two-year-old videocard. I saw a very early version of Star Citizen running live on a Dell gaming laptop, and it looks absolutely astonishing -- particularly in the high-polygon ship models and lighting departments. This is what a high-end game built strictly for PC hardware in mind looks like. As Roberts flew around the carrier in his fighter and surrounding asteroids, the detail of the machinery on both ships was striking -- numerous moving parts flexed as the fighter wings adjusted, a half-dozen individual thrusters swiveled and fired as he changed direction, and weapon pods popped out to bare its teeth.

When it does launch for real, Roberts promises Star Citizen won't nickel-and-dime us. "It's not subscription, because I don't like subscription-based stuff, but it's also not free-to-play, in that it's free-to-play and we're artificially making it really awful and boring at the beginning so that we can get money from you. Did I mention that I like the Guild Wars model?" You'll be able to buy stuff with real money, he said, but in keeping with both his pro-challenge and anti-grinding philosophy, there will likely be limits. "I'm thinking of limiting the amount of money anyone can spend in a month, so they can't just buy a whole bunch of credits," he said, in what might be the first time in recent years I've heard a gamemaker suggest turning away money.

• Is it PC exclusive? Yes.
  • Is there a single-player, Wing Commander-style campaign? Yes (that part's called Squadron 42).
  • Can my friends drop in and fly as my wingmen? Yes.
  • Does the story branch based on my actions? Yes.
  • Does it have a Privateer-style open universe with a trade economy? Yes.
  • Is the economy dynamic? Yes.
  • Can I skip the single-player campaign and jump right into that part? Yes.
  • Is there a free, massively multiplayer persistent online universe? Yes.
  • Will that universe constantly expand with new content? Yes.
  • Can I play offline? Yes.
  • Can I host my own server for me and my friends? Yes.
  • Are there real zero-G physics? Yes.
  • Can my friends and I crew a ship together, with one piloting and others manning guns? Yes.
  • Can I have 64 or more players in one area? Yes (and that's the bare minimum he's shooting for).
  • Can I mod it? Yes.
  • Can I pilot a carrier starship? Yes (but probably not in the persistent online universe).
  • Can I have a medium-sized ship with a single launchable fighter aboard? Yes.
  • Can I get out of my ship and shoot people in first- or third-person combat? Yes.
  • Can I hijack an enemy ship? Yes.
  • Can other players hijack my ship? Yes.
  • Will there be location-specific damage on spaceships? Yes.
  • Will there be customizable weapons on hardpoints? Yes.
  • Can I play with a mouse? Yes.
  • A gamepad? Yes.
  • A joystick? Yes.
  • Will it support Oculus Rift? Yes.
  • Will it take user-created content (ships, etc) and sell it, splitting revenue with creators? Yes.

Of course, he does need money to get this dream of a high-end PC space game off the ground for real, and outside the grip of a big publisher that's beholden to the whims of shareholders and "I have to raise some amount of crowd funding to validate that there are enough people that want to play high-end PC games, that want to play in space." To reach that $2 to $4 million needed to get his private investors to open their gigantic wallets, Space Citizen will open up to preorders soon through its Roberts Space Industries site (not Kickstarter), where you'll be able to preorder specific types of starting ships. "I could be completely delusional and no one cares, but I think it's a viable market," he said.

Never played Wing Commander myself, but I have lot respect for that game and wish it will remake in modern graphics. I played Freespace for sometime and i love it. I think going forward it will be a very good time to be a PC gamer

wing commander and freelancer are the magic words. will probably back this when their site stabilizes. ricky will you be backing it or waiting for release?

Hi Spin.

Backing it for sure! :)

My -ONLY- initial concern was decent servers but since users can create their own servers and invite friends, this is a non-issue.

Going to go with "First Responder" as it seems to offer the best VFM.

Yep, just keep in mind you have to pay an additional $5 for shipping internationally.

Reason I went for that option is I doubt we (in India) will be able to play the MMO part with a decent ping as Asia is unlikely to get servers for these sort of games. So

in essence, I'm paying $35 for the SP (Squadron 42) content and the option to host my own server and invite other gamers who are interested. Worth it IMO if you like the genre....

well they've added the game to kickstarter and i'm a lot more comfortable using that site.

Star Citizen by Cloud Imperium Games Corporation — Kickstarter

don't understand why they have to put in this physical item though. i'm not interested in it, i don't want to pay extra for it and it will probably get lost in the great indian postal system. sent them a message asking for a digital only tier or something, let's see how it goes.

Whatever you did worked. They now offer another $30 option where instead of the physical reward, you get access to the alpha.

Whatever you did worked. They now offer another $30 option where instead of the physical reward, you get access to the alpha.

yea, turns out chris roberts himself replied to my message on kickstarter stating that he was planning to add a digital tier after talking to his team. few hours later, there it was.

Well it happened. 5 times apparently. :p

FIVE guys have actually paid $10,000 each to buy the "Give Me The Galaxy" option that allows them to spend a day with Chris Roberts and the dev team along with all the other goodies.

Come on Spin, get your slot before its gone! ;)

yea i took one of the 30$ slots. i'm still a bit hesitant though because apparently, even if the project meets it's funding targets on kickstarter and their own site, it's still not enough to actually make the game. they are using these crowdfunding attempts to convince other 3rd party investors to actually spend money to finance the game. in short, your pledge doesn't guarantee the game gets made, it only means that chris roberts might get investors to help him finish it. this doesn't sit very well with me.

speaking of kickstarters, have you seen the one for the sequel to nexus the jupiter incident? iirc, you liked that game. Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken (PC & MAC) by HD Interactive | Most Wanted Ent. — Kickstarter

sadly, i doubt that this one will reach it's funding target in the next week.

^ Nexus One was a brilliant game. To anyone who hasn't played it, get it now! It's brilliant and still looks gorgeous. Its sad that Nexus 2 might never see the light of day. There's no way they are going to reach their funding goal.

yea i took one of the 30$ slots.

And here was I depending on you to be the first Indian $10,000 sponsor. :(

in short, your pledge doesn't guarantee the game gets made, it only means that chris roberts might get investors to help him finish it. this doesn't sit very well with me.

Trust me, this one will get made. :)

speaking of kickstarters, have you seen the one for the sequel to nexus the jupiter incident? iirc, you liked that game. Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken (PC & MAC) by HD Interactive | Most Wanted Ent. — Kickstarter

Played it years ago. If I recall correctly, I didn't enjoy it. On too many occasions in the game I was forced to "replay" missions because I was given absolutely no clue on which ships/tech to take into battle - it was like a crap shoot. This factor really put me off the game though I did finish it.

Would have zero interest in funding something that had (IMO) such a flawed design to begin with so its not surprising to me that its struggling to reach its KS goal.

last day bump :p. they've raised over 5.5 million dollars making this by far the highest crowdfunded game ever. anyone who is even remotely interested in space sims should at least head on over to their kickstarter page to see the amazing videos they've put up, including the latest one which shows an almost fully realized starport. 8 hours to go to get in a pledge.

Final tally as of close was $6,238,563 - a new crowdfunding record! :bigok:

To me it this proves two things -

1) Flight/Space sims are NOT dead as a genre. Its just that Pubs/Devs are short sighted and/or lack the the conviction to make serious sims anymore, choosing instead to hide behind either "the genre is dead" argument or by releasing sub-par "arcade" sims that just don't cut it for hard core PC sim fans.

2) That the PC as a gaming platform is alive and well, probably much to the annoyance of all the "PC is dead - konsoals rul3z" advocates. ;)

The BEST thing about SC is the fact that they will release Pro mod tools so the game will be modded and kept alive for many, many years after its release.

I cant wait to see a "Star Wars Total Conversion mod" for this game. X-Wings, Tie Fighters, Tie Bombers, Imperial Star Destroyers, Calmari Cruisers, Interdictors......the DEATH STAR TRENCH RUN sequence and the 2nd Death Star Tunnel run. How about flying the Millenium Falcon with your friends in the gunner seats? Or the Asteroid field chase from TESB?

Oh yeah it -WILL- all be happen at some point by someone or the other and that too in the formidable Crysis engine with official mod tool support, rather than having to work with "hacked" code and be unable to achieve everything one might want to.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'm actually more hyped about a potential "Star Wars Total Conversion" mod for SC rather than even SC itself purely for the reason that I would love to re-play the SW scenarios I stated above (plus more) in a modern game engine.

Only two disappointing things for me personally.

One that Spin didnt go for the "Big fish - $10,000 crowdfunding option" - I had high hopes for this. :(

And two, that the only other Indian I know who got into the crowdfunding for SC was - Spin. :(

Even so, thank you for having some faith Spin - even more so considering (AFAIK), you're not a hardcore space sim fan.

I understand that hard core Sims are not everyone's cup of tea but this is one of the few games that I was hoping more Indians would try out. Its still not too late guys.

I said it before and I will say it again - this game -WILL- be made and will set the standard for future Space/flight sims.

Take a chance on it guys.

As long as you're willing to put 6-8 hours into learning it, trust me - you wont be disappointed. Once you're hooked, theres potentially 100's of hours of non-repetitive fun game play to be had.

Here's hoping more of you will give it a shot. :)

If you are an Indian and did buy a slot for the game please post your name in here so we all know who you are. That way when the full games out, we can host our own server and get into the game together as a group.

I will be definitely getting a copy. Looks very much fun.. Used to love the Flight Sim series back when it was awesome... sad they dont have good ones now.. :(

The videos look gorgeous, but the game is still far away from completion right? Didn't see an estimated date on their self styled KS page.

Back