(SPOILERS) Please explain me Interstellar loop

avi

Skilled
I believe there is a loop or paradox in the movie Interstellar. And nobody is able to give me a clear clarification. There is a massive circlejerk for this movie/Nolan and blind fanboys just believe they have understood it.

1. Who put the wormhole? 'They'?
2. Who gave coordinates to Coop, for first time.

With movies like this we almost always end up with questions similar to the chicken or the egg conundrum ;)
But the answers to your questions are -
1. They = Future humans
2. I think it was Coop himself.

2. How Coop gave co ordinates first time?

Copy paste:
If he doesn't get the coordinates to NASA, he doesn't go to NASA. He doesn't go to NASA, he doesn't go to space. He doesn't go to space, he doesn't send NASA's coordinates to the past. He doesn't send NASA's coordinates to the past, he doesn't go to NASA.

----

This is a copy paste, please explain:

The wormhole was created by humans evolved into the 5th dimension. The only way humanity was survive long enough to evolve was by the wormhole.

The wormhole led to the creation of the thing that created the wormhole.

Paradox.

Last edited:
^The fact that we never really "meet" 5D humans leaves some possibilities open, like the many-world theory, so in one alt timeline, humans figured out the 5th dimension, and want to test out their findings by "saving" the earth in another timeline.

^The fact that we never really "meet" 5D humans leaves some possibilities open, like the many-world theory, so in one alt timeline, humans figured out the 5th dimension, and want to test out their findings by "saving" the earth in another timeline.
Humans were dying. How did they figure that out?

Prof Brand Sr. senior says Murph's generation will be last to sruvive but to suffocate. So, they figured out 5D in span of some 100 years? Not possible.

Well there no time travel in the movie, cos it considers 5D, afaik

There was some sort of time travel when they travel to Miller's planet and say that 1 Hour on Miller's planet is around 7 years in Earth time (How...I am puzzled so don't ask). Hence they return back to their Endurance after 28 Earth Years (or 23 ??) but were on Miller's planet for say 4 Hours or so I guess.

^When time is a dimension you can go back and forth like any other dimension. So can be considered as time travel I suppose.

Edit - Meant as a reply to @avi and not the post above

There was some sort of time travel when they travel to Miller's planet and say that 1 Hour on Miller's planet is around 7 years in Earth time (How...I am puzzled so don't ask). Hence they return back to their Endurance after 28 Earth Years (or 23 ??) but were on Miller's planet for say 4 Hours or so I guess.
That's not time time travel.

When you are near to highly gravitational field your time moves slowly (relative to earth or any other place). The easy example would be a person in 20th floor will age fast than the person in say ground floor. However the difference is very very small, but yet it can be seen and calculated precisely.

The millers planet was very close to Garangtua and had 130% of earth Gravit. Thus time would move slow relative to Earth. Thus one hour on millers is 7 years on earth.

Do note that this a very well established concept and calculations used in movie are precise not fiction.

Yes there's a paradox in Interstellar -- and don't forget this is a science fiction, not a documentary on black holes. Nolan likes to keep a few things open ended to spur up debates -- most likely creativity blended with marketing strategy

Humans were dying. How did they figure that out?

Prof Brand Sr. senior says Murph's generation will be last to sruvive but to suffocate. So, they figured out 5D in span of some 100 years? Not possible.

Some possibilities (i know it is very metaphysics-iy but i guess that is the point of sci-fi) - >

1) if there is only one universe, then humans went to a 5D state, decided to mess with time via gravity, and created a cascade of events that caused the blight, to fix their mistake, they put the wormhole there, and got Cooper to relay the data to his daughter so that the progression to 5D still occurs, but on a different planet/space stations. However that leads to the question why the 5D humans didn't cease to exist if they made a mistake that stopped the research they became 5D in the first place, but maybe the then the timeline showes Cooper solving it and hence showed them what they needed to do to survive.

2) If there are multiple universes, then humans developed into 5D beings in some of them, of which at least one set was able to look into other dimensions, then they might have come across a doomed earth (or started the blight themselves) to experiment on whether they can play god or not. So they put the wormhole there, and showed cooper the time progression.

3) This is Rust Chole's "spiritual experience" when he almost died :D

4) This is Cobb's dream which he never woke up from, hence the slightly bendy physics :D

When cooper enters 5th dimention, he can move between times (time travel). Considering the fact that the movie did not consider the entropy in to the equation. hence the paradox.
I think it will explain everything

When cooper enters 5th dimention, he can move between times (time travel). Considering the fact that the movie did not consider the entropy in to the equation. hence the paradox.
I think it will explain everything
He cannot enter into 5th D without help of 'Future Us' and 'they' cannot exists without help from Cooper

^^ Quite right. Don't think there is an answer to that question. It is a continuous loop. Movie has a lot of loopholes but i enjoyed it immensely.

Any other loopholes?
Well, to name a few:
1. Amelia Brand doesn't age w.r.t Cooper at the end even though he has been inside a black hole.
2. Earth can send video clips from families through wormhole but not the other way around.
3. Advanced astrophysics through morse code?
4. How can cooper communicate with TARS inside the black hole?

Back