Sony might exit smartphone business...

Why Sony is exiting smartphone business ? :(

Because no one buying them...
They are look incredible but their design is not that friendly to your hand while using it...

Sony still haven't figure out how to produce good mobile display..

Sony mobile camera still sucks compare to other...

Worst customer service...

My friend broken display z2 was denied repairing as service center people have no idea how to change it.. Instead they offer new device for 24k in buy back...

Sony devices are always price wise on par with other high hand devices and they need to change that strategy...

Sony just released new class 10 64GB Micro SD card for ****ing 150$ saying that they help better in producing good music...

Sony devices are always price wise on par with other high hand devices and they need to change that strategy...

That's the main reason I do not like Sony products. They are really overpriced, just on the brand name. In the same price range, you can get other quality products, with better features. Why will people then go for Sony.. except they want its brand, or they have money to spare.

Sony stopped making laptops too.. I wonder what's next.. looks like its on a downhill.

They didn't really do something amazin in last couple of years, except water resistant phones, that too none of them are fully water proof. It would have helped them ig they produced a nexus, but as usual, they didn't :)

Most phones use Sony camera sensors are used in most phones of other brands , also lots of other sensors and modules too. Sony actually makes more money from mobile chipset parts than actually selling complete handsets. I personally do like Sony phones though have never owned one. But a few friends swear by the brand and have brought only Sony this past decade! It's actually sad, coz it's one brand capable of great design,technology and innovation ,it would be the loss of the consumer with demise of another big phone brand. The thing is perception, I think the z3 compact is a great phone for the price, still people think Sony is overpriced and sales no.s are not dramatic.they could cut down on the models, just two or three I guess, instead of total exit from the mobile market.

Sony actually makes more money from mobile chipset parts, I think the z3 compact is a great phone for the price

Sony only sell their camera module as a oem nothing else so they don't make much out of it...

And Z3C would be hit device if price lower than 25k when it was launch...

Sony has revealed a changed strategy that extensively focuses on camera sensors and PlayStation business, also that could see it exiting from TV and smartphone sectors.

TV included :sorry:

@manucritic - I don't know about bad customer service but I believe they've improved. I had horrible experiences with the k790i and took a leap of faith when I bought the xperia zr. Within 3 months of purchase in an accident my zr was shattered completely. I was a giving a brand new phone in a sealed box with all accessories in 20 days.

I am a massive fan of compact rugged phones. I absolutely detest anything with a screen size of 5 inches or more and believe anything in excess of 4.7 inches in screen size is plain stupid. Sony's ZR/Z1/Z3 compact versions are awesome in terms of performance and features and are true flagships for normal people looking to get a normal sized phone.

Sony's major drawback is the price factor esp. in Asian conditions.
Then their customer service has sucked in the past but now they have improved considerably.
Though few friends had a bad experience with their Z1 phones service but thereafter it was all smooth. As it was the first phone Sony wasnt prepared to tackle related issues.

And btw nobody can match customer service of Nokias.

No doubt Sony's Z series is par one hell of performers.
Look wise they are good and unique as compared to many out their with the same old Samsung copied design. And now Samsung copied stamina mode from Sony as well in their new upcoming phone.
Sony's hardware is also rock solid, sturdy and nicely tweaked with its os.

They are actually struggling in Asian markets esp. in India where the rulers are samsung and local karbon and micromax.
I'm a regular member of Sony forums and people mostly in the UK, US & Gulf are Sony loyal. They either own iphone, sony or a samsung. Nothing much beyond that.

Sony shouldn't totally exit from mobile segment but instead concentrate only on handful of them. May be for the time only on low end or just hi end phones.

Dont know why it is also exiting from TV segment though.

Anyways I'm not a Sony fan boy and this is the first time I bought a sony product and truly loving it in all aspects. Around me many people are also using sony and they too. are satisfied.

Chinese cos.'ll keep haunting India and may be some day even Samsung might exit from India... Then there'll be just xolo/karbon/m'max/xiomi/lava etc. type of phones to choose from.

Sony Leds are the best in terms of picture quality and clarity. Samsung,LG etc doesn't even come close.

Regarding the mobiles. I think there lower sales is more due to under marketing. The xperia z, z1 and z3 compact are great waterproof mobiles with amazing performace. Better than iPhone and priced lower.

Still, they remained behind samsung in sales(lack of innovation and same ugly design).

I like Sony and believed that if anyone can compete with iPhone then it was them and not Samsung.
It's sad to see there demise. After Nokia another great company like Sony lost it.
And now there would be overpriced iphone, ugly Samsung and cheap quality Chinese companies in the market. Mobiles are never going to be the same again.

RIP SONY.

they could cut down on the models, just two or three I guess, instead of total exit from the mobile market.
That would be a good start i was always sceptical of this policy of bringing out new flagships every six months. So within six months your device is already outdated. Not really but in terms of market perception.

Not many Z2 owners jumped for the Z3. Coming out once a year would have been better but they wanted the publicity.

Sony mobile camera still sucks compare to other....
Not according to these guys ;)

its real simple, your photos don't come out right, look in the mirror.

Sony still haven't figure out how to produce good mobile display..
Only if your frame of reference is amoled. I have yet to come across a Z owner ( i mean the original Z) that had problems with the display. That wanted another device because of it. The Z2 improved cosiderably over previous versions.

My friend broken display z2 was denied repairing as service center people have no idea how to change it.. Instead they offer new device for 24k in buy back...
Only if you want an immediate replacement, otherwise they ship it to Sweden for repairs. Takes a month.

Where will you get a flagship for that price. Xiaomi & OPO are not exactly in the same league.

Last edited:
Z2??? Even Z1 people havent upgraded to Z2 or Z3. and why should they? 80% stuff is the same apart from many minor and handful major upgrades. So no need again putting 35-40k for upgrades.
Dont forget these Z series were meant to be for a loooong time upgrade unlike upgrading every now and then. SO once you own this you can be good for next 2 years or so unless you are that techno savvy skeptical.

So what happens to existing Z owners when it comes to upgrades. i expect sony will honour them.

Date of launch + 18 months ?

Dont know why really Sony is bothered about taking a hush-rush decision of wrapping their cell biz. but as mentioned customers round the world will surely cry esp. in respect with brand loyalty.

We might not be having that much Sony user base in India or Asia but in western part, it is dense.
I think Sony will re-consider its decision in upcoming months owing to their popularity at least with Z series to be precise.

Yes, an upgrade for premium users will be usually 18+ months and thats pretty much expected rather than every 6-12months.
As mentioned, a Z owner doesnt need to or wont even be bothered to upgrade during this period.

@blr_p some valid points out there.

Sony mobile camera still sucks compare to other...
Well which phones camera is 100% ???
They didn't really do something amazin in last couple of years, except water resistant phones, that too none of them are fully water proof. It would have helped them ig they produced a nexus, but as usual, they didn't :)
So you want your phone to be used ONLY under water..?? If you have ever read, Sony claims only clean water and not any polluted ones or sea salty. Though couple of users have used it underwater in sea but they were the luck ones not getting their phones damaged.
So you expect a premium line-up phone for less than 25k?? Well tomorrow you will also expect Lamborghini to sell under 50 lacs and marutis to be gifted free. Nice thought there.

Dont know why really Sony is bothered about taking a hush-rush decision of wrapping their cell biz. I think Sony will re-consider its decision in upcoming months owing to their popularity at least with Z series to be precise.
This means they are looking to sell. Who is interested in picking it up i wonder.

We might not be having that much Sony user base in India or Asia but in western part, it is dense.
Going by import numbers i'd put Z owners (all variants) close to half a million. over 150k original Z's were imported. if you consider with S4 that was nearly three times the amount, the share is less but the problem is sony could not get sales going in the US. Europe and asia they did alright.

So you expect a premium line-up phone for less than 25k?? Well tomorrow you will also expect Lamborghini to sell under 50 lacs and marutis to be gifted free. Nice thought there.

Well that's dumbest comparison I have came across...

Lamborghini for 50lacs and SonyZ3C for 25k, make guess which look like dumb thing to ask for...

Only if you want an immediate replacement, otherwise they ship it to Sweden for repairs. Takes a month.

Well your post is enough to tell that Sony sucks in after sales support...

Sending ****ing mobile to Europe for screen change that's dumb...

am referring to situations where screen is cracked as this is the most common problem , i demanded to know why it was not possible to fix in india. they gave me some useless reply like we are not authorised to do it. Pretty phones that are harder to maintain/repiar unlike ugly plastic phones. Own an xperia then just live it with it.

or you can source the part, go to some smart 3rd party guy. problem is he needs a special press to ensure water tightness. Otherwise you will lose that. Its not really that special, it just applies the right amount of pressure which you would not know to do otherwise.

pretty + water tight = cannot be repaired in india or could not when i checked last which was over 6 months back. things could have changed since.

not watertight = can be repaired in india. so cannot say sony support sucks across the board only for a certain class of devices.

Last edited:
Back