Snapdeal or Its Sellers have leaked Customers details to India today Group (Readers Digest)

swatkats

Skilled
Here's the thing.
I Receive an Contest/Subscription letter India today group (Readers Digest). I have never read Readers Digest or any such magazine in my lifetime nor i have subscribed to.

To my surprise, i get an subscription letter. Its fine but i was wondering who leaked it.
Firstly i thought, They could have got my address from LetsBuy leaked database which happened years ago.
Secondly on observing the address on the letter, I noticed the format of address is similar to what i have entered in Snapdeal Address book.
Also i changed my state name to Telangana only 2 months back in Snapdeal address book, But none of the sites i gave landmark except snapdeal.

Only last 3 orders from Snapdeal were delivered on this specific edited address, which Readers Digest used (Not to forget the landmark specified only on Snapdeal). Its clear that Snapdeal or one of its 3 sellers below have leaked the Names, Addresses to India today group.

3 Sellers are(one of them could have leaked) or probably Snapdeal itself:

• MEGA STORES India
  • RSS TRADERS-VOI India
  • Good Karma Company India

cylfGsT.jpg

Ugkxtqb.jpg

ceZEqUe.jpg

DgDGgHf.jpg

It is okay, if they sell Email addresses/Phone numbers (a usual trend), But this is too much. Spam through Physical letters. :|

I fail to understand whether these as****s are in business of selling customers address/Details or for selling consumer products?

Anyone else who got such letters?

EDIT:
Snapdeal customer support called after a tweet, as usual your details are secure, but when i asked about leaks happening through sellers. Women on the phone couldn't agree anymore.

Last edited:
another 'dil ki deal' from snapdeal!
so this RD sweepstakes-scam is still alive. probably got a fresh breath after the scam-group India Today acquired it.

I wonder from these companies get such ideas, Spamming through physical letters from stolen data is seriously bizarre to me.. at least.

Here's the thing.
I Receive an Contest/Subscription letter India today group (Readers Digest). I have never read Readers Digest or any such magazine in my lifetime nor i have subscribed to.

To my surprise, i get an subscription letter. Its fine but i was wondering who leaked it.
Firstly i thought, They could have got my address from LetsBuy leaked database which happened years ago.
Secondly on observing the address on the letter, I noticed the format of address is similar to what i have entered in Snapdeal Address book.
Also i changed my state name to Telangana only 2 months back in Snapdeal address book, But none of the sites i gave landmark except snapdeal.

Only last 3 orders from Snapdeal were delivered on this specific edited address, which Readers Digest used (Not to forget the landmark specified only on Snapdeal). Its clear that Snapdeal or one of its 3 sellers below have leaked the Names, Addresses to India today group.

3 Sellers are(one of them could have leaked) or probably Snapdeal itself:

• MEGA STORES India
  • RSS TRADERS-VOI India
  • Good Karma Company India

cylfGsT.jpg

Ugkxtqb.jpg

ceZEqUe.jpg

DgDGgHf.jpg

It is okay, if they sell Email addresses/Phone numbers (a usual trend), But this is too much. Spam through Physical letters. :|

I fail to understand whether these as****s are in business of selling customers address/Details or for selling consumer products?

Anyone else who got such letters?

EDIT:
Snapdeal customer support called after a tweet, as usual your details are secure, but when i asked about leaks happening through sellers. Women on the phone couldn't agree anymore.

It's clear that you haven't been reading readers digest previously. It always sends prepaid inland letters for people to subscribe.

Did any of the existing readers referred your name and address? It's mostly after someone refers your name and address, as part of promotional offers. Check with your friends and relatives.

This promotion program and physical letter system by readers digest is much older than SD or Flipkart. I have received them previously, usually they don't repeat this to the same person & address if they don't subscribe.

If you have the updated address on any of your bank accounts (savings or credit card), then rest assured that the details were leaked by the bank.

Two points which prove it was through Snapdeal are
1. None of the sites have landmark option in their address forms except SD's in which I mentioned a hotels name.
2. Lastly, none of the ecommerce sites have my address with Telangana state in it. It's still AP in all of them except SD. The address format printed on the letter is exactly same to same like in SD's address book without any change.

There's absolutely no chance of any friend referring me. Nada.

All banks have my old address. Not the present one.

On the note of leaking, it seems (cant prove though) that the database of Tolexo was also leaked, with a guy who claimed to be from Tolexo calling me to ask whether I need anything. He knew what I had bought last time, but not what I was purchasing later. Emails were sent from a different domain as well, and it looked like an official ID.

Back