All OS Smartphone screens harbour 3 times more germs than a toilet seat

swatkats

Skilled
"As Dr Lakhani suggests, consider using alcohol wipes to disinfect your phone every now and again. Taking good care of your phone will help your technological investment to last longer, and stay in better condition."
The average smartphone screen has been found to be more than three times dirtier than a toilet seat.

More than a third of people (35%) have never cleaned their phone with wipes, a cleaning fluid or a similar product, research carried out by Insurance2go found.

One in 20 smartphone users was found to clean their phone less than every six months.

The firm swabbed three popular handsets - an iPhone 6, a Samsung Galaxy 8 and a Google Pixel, to test for aerobic bacteria, yeast and mould.

The results revealed that all key areas of the the phones harbour at least some quantity of each type of substance.

ipa1zPB.jpg

The test found the back of the phones had an average of 30 units, the lock button had an average of 23.8 units, and the home button had an average of 10.6 units.

The Google Pixel had 14.5 colony-forming units on its screen, another 14.5 on its lock, while 24 were found on the home button and 24 were on the back.

The iPhone 6 had 40.4 units on its screen, 42.5 on the lock, another 42.5 on the back and 2.9 on the home button.

Researchers found that the Samsung Galaxy 8 that was tested had the dirtiest screen with 200 colony-forming units, while 14.5 were on the lock, five were on the home button and 24 were on the back.

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/smartpho...ree-times-dirtier-than-a-toilet-seat-11474867

As far as i know, no food poisoning or hospitalization occurred by using Galaxy s8, so if this is a fact that there are so many germs, then we should thank Gs8 that it is making our body immune to those batceria which take free screentime. I think i read somewhere - what does not kill you makes you stronger ;-)

Relax, GS8 is water resistant - give it a good running shower

Seriously, unnecessary discovery and not the first product to be compared with toilet seat - it was mouse, car steering wheel among others

They never mention the ordinary tv remote. It harnesses lot of germs as every member of family uses it plus we use it ideally right from having breakfast to dinner while munching on burgers, roti, pizzas, snacks etc. I think its the most infected gadget than all these.
We clean our keyboards, mouse, phone screens and other related accessories but who makes it a point to clean or disinfect remote? Nobody.
More to eik, it is touched by maid as remote is freely forgotten on carpets, corners, sofas, chairs or every place where it isnt supposed to be.

Do not use alcohol wipes on the screen as it will wear out the oleophobic coating faster. Suppose you could use alcohol wipes on the back and sides. I've never felt the need to though. I don't work in a hospital or where its likely to get infected with lots of germs.

Instead use a microfiber cloth everyday to wipe it. That will remove most grease and leave your screen clean.

https://www.amazon.in/Gear-Premium-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloth/dp/B073WJD6ZC/
https://www.amazon.in/3M-Car-Care-Microfibre-Cloth/dp/B00OBJ4WA0

You can even wet the cloth slightly to remove any persistent stains. Then use the dry part to wipe away

If you use a case you just drop that in water and all clean

Last edited:
Someone in the R&D departments of Samsung and Apple would be now thinking about new ideas for the next flagships - antibacterial screens or self cleansing mobile. Or is it already a thing?

The part that matters is its true you get all these germs & moulds on a phone but how harmful are they. A lot of bacteria & mould lives on you already and that is what gets transferred over to the phone. Where it gets dangerous is if others germs are being transferred on. How often does that happen. Our phones are personal not public property.

You can do the same experiments with clothes in a washing machine and you will be surprised to learn that even after washing that you could still create a germ culture. Because you aren't sanitising anything. In fact there are only two ways to do that. Boil or use chlorine bleach. Both result in damaged clothes.

Last edited:
Someone in the R&D departments of Samsung and Apple would be now thinking about new ideas for the next flagships - antibacterial screens or self cleansing mobile. Or is it already a thing?
They might come up with something like oil free, grease free, shit free, urine free, puke free etc. Making the phone usable in almost every possible condition one cant imagine.

Still awaiting a phone from baba ramdev. It will be shudh organic wherein you can even eat that phone when you are hungry.

The future will be without phones or screens - ear embedded noise isolation speakers with skin conducting microphone. Contact lenss fitted Projection lenses to overlay the halo images. This will take away the spread of Germs ;-)

I know i am reading too much sci-fi!

daag achhe hai..... germs sacche hai.

There are germs everywhere around us. Every moment we breath, we would be inhaling hell lot of germs/ bacteria. We dont fall sick because of our immune system. Its just typical amrican propoganda as usual. They shall even bring vaccine to prevent infection from touching cells phones etc. One never knows.

Hi there! I suppose that you are right here, some pretty dirty hands touch the device whole day and it can also land in nasty places every now and then, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that all sorts of bacteria thrive on smartphone screens! I always have my cleaner handy and wipe the screen off when possible. With touch screens things are better compared to button key pads!

Back