Small Traders Complain to CCI on Flipkart Etc. Fair Enough?

swatkats

Skilled
Dozens of small brick-and-mortar retailers have banded together to seek protection from e-commerce companies, which they say are undercutting them with predatory pricing. The retailers, mostly from Bangalore - home base for Flipkart, India's largest e-tailer - have written to the Competition Commission of India, complaining that their online counterparts are selling goods below cost and skirting Indian laws on foreign direct investment in retail.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...of-predatory-pricing/articleshow/25235284.cms

How are Small Traders loosing and How are the Ecommerce selling below the cost price? They order in high qualities and they get Good discounts?
You want to loot the customer by selling it for MRP?

F*CK YOU LOCAL VENDORS. THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO DO BUSINESS NEVER COMPLAIN.

How is this skirting Indian Laws ?
The ecommerce websites cannot afford to sell for lesser price due to bulk purchases and volume of orders from all over the country, no restricted to a specific city or area how local vendors are.

With all due respect to the local vendors..

DO YOU REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I WAS AT YOUR SHOP AND WAITED 15 MINUTES FOR YOU TO COME TO ME?
DO YOU REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I CAME FOR WARRANTY SUPPORT AND YOU SAID I NEED TO TAKE CARE OF IT MYSELF?
DO YOU REMEMBER YOU SAYING NO RETURNS?
DO YOU REMEMBER SAYING THERE IS NO SUCH MODEL. THIS ONE IS BETTER.EVEN WITHOUT INQUIRING IF THAT EXISTS?

With all due respect... **** off and piss off local vendors. I hope you all get closed.

I am looking at things when i want and how i want now. Yes, I take care of warranty myself. I return things i don't like. I get or find the models i want to have.

Please excuse the language mods.

TBH, the brick and mortar retailers are in a soup right now, and a bit right. None of the online sites are really making any profit. More often than not, their foreign investments are questionable (and probably illegal) and without a doubt the items are sold either at par or at a loss (taking into account inventory/backend/warehouses/shipping etc.). Just last year, the ED started investigating the B2B and B2C complexities with most of the online vendors (FK, Snapdeal, Jabong etc.)

LOL the law states that there has to be a maximum retail price. There is no concept of minimum retail price. As for these morons, no one will shed a tear if they fold up. It has always been survival of the fittest.

It is not only ecommerce, we shop for all groceries (not veggies and fruits though) through Dmart because that is very very cost effective for us.
Take a simple example of Brown rice which the local kirana store gives me for MRP of 145 Rs while the same in Dmart is 119 Rs.
Aashirwad aata at local vendor is 380 Rs, Dmart 329.
Frozen green peas till now Safal had sort of Monopoly and was selling them at outrageous price of more than 100 Rs for half kg which is what i get at local Kirana but Reliance near my home sells (their own brand) for 99 Rs for Half Kg + one more free and Dmart sells for 53 Rs half kg.
The big box stores and online ones are eating the local vendors.

I still prefer veggies from roadside vendors though.

Since Flipkart came to be I stopped buying phones and other electronic items from brick and mortar shops . They just cannot match the price of online retailers.

The Point is Clear Ecommerce Firms are buying Products in Bulk and Hence they offer the product for Cheap than local vendors. If they are running their business without zero profits that's not the concern of Small Retailers like Hari Rastogi or the members of wewillact.com
Infact Their investors should be concerned about this. Flipkart has already been sued by Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) For getting 100% FDI in Ecommerce and they are taking the advantage of existing laws to route the money via singapore firms which is not illegal.

Dear Small Time Retailers,
If you are jealous at Ecommerce Sites Product pricing and the Quantity they sell please follow the Ecommerce Model Route or Kiss my ass.

Recent experience:
Friend and i went to a shop to buy a Fasttrack watch which had an MRP 1595. As we liked that watch we asked for best price, He says this is new model and he cannot offer discount. Without any discomfort i told them Because of this attitude most of us prefer online shopping. The owner of the shopping keeps on arguing about margins and discounts they can offer. He infact says i cannot claim warranty on stuff i buy online. I told i am not a kid nor i am shopping online for the first time.
I told them these models can be sold at 10% off on MRP and then he agrees for 7%, I kept on insisting and finally he says okay and came down to 1450.
These Guys are Jealous at Ecommerce firms and they infact fool us not to shop online. That is why Kiss my ass

This does not work here but in USA i used an app on my phone wherein when i used to go to Walmart, i would have to scan the barcode of the product and it would tell me the price of the same in stores around my location as well as prices on popular online store so if i think it is substantially less priced online i would buy there.

Small retailers have to deal with a host of problems like multiple levels of dealers and sub-dealers (each selling with a margin) and other political and rental problems. They should get together and try to tackle these issues rather than trying to force customers to come to them.

Am I missing something here? May it be food articles or it products, I have always found them to be cheaper at a shop than online sites. I kind of margins these online sites work on is simply insane.
Someone mentioned abt mrp vs discounted prices at dmart. Now walk into Crawford and check prices there, a Tropicana for e.g. Which has an mrp of 99, I get it for 80.
You might have had bad experiences with shops, but to write em off the way u guys are, is simply not right. They got stomachs to fill too remember..

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Online retailing is not even 0.5% of the total retail market in India, and internet penetration is about 1% of urban population - let alone total population. Which means over 99% of all sales are happening in traditional retail.

The biggest problem that flipkart has created for retailing is the movement of the 'enthusiast' shopper to online portals. Which frankly, is good thing as those shoppers are considered pests by most brick and mortar store owners, and the shoppers know they are/were being taken for a ride. as is reflected in the collective opinion on the forum. I don't see this as a problem. Yes, FK may have lower costs from time to time, so retailers have to step up and improve their services in order to compete.

Frankly, i prefer many times buying from local stores -specially high-ticket IT products - as their prices are fairly competitive with FK and their service is far better, and the only thing I have against them is the travel time/cost which gets added to the price. However if retailers act like pricks, which they very often do towards new customers, they can't blame FK etc for existing.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Online retailing is not even 0.5% of the total retail market in India, and internet penetration is about 1% of urban population - let alone total population. Which means over 99% of all sales are happening in traditional retail.
This is the Truth and What Happens if that 0.5% Online retailing becomes twice. These local vendors would go on Strike? May be.:shifty:

Here is the list of retailers if anyone wants to know;), who want to loot their customers and see E-retail sites as a threat
http://wewillact.com/joined.html

And see at this page what they moron call ethical
http://wewillact.com/appeal.html
Let’s now punish them:
1- Let's place Cash on delivery orders for Rs.40000.00 rupees items every alternate day and cancel when delivery boy comes to delivery. This will make them to lose their fat by Rs.1000.00 at least.

2- Whenever you are free call to their customer care and waste their time. This will increase their customer care expenses.

Let’s now punish them:
1- Let's place Cash on delivery orders for Rs.40000.00 rupees items every alternate day and cancel when delivery boy comes to delivery. This will make them to lose their fat by Rs.1000.00 at least.

2- Whenever you are free call to their customer care and waste their time. This will increase their customer care expenses.
Insane. This is Really A Child's thing. No mature will think like this.. I am sure the one who started and who follow this cause are LOOTERS.
The Local vendors where i usually visit who sell Electronics, Books or whatever Actually beat online pricing. So yes, they know how to do business than these Kids who come and Complain.. Why not complain about SMS getting Costly/Vanished because of A-VO-ID to CCI or about FUP's on Broadband?

The Funny thing is one who started this Cause runs an Online Store: http://www.laptopwale.com/
If go deeper, http://www.laptopwale.com/Products/...tops/Hp/G6-2105TX-B6U33PAACJ/pid-1651819.aspx and http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-2105tx-laptop-3rd-gen-ci3-4gb-500gb-win7-hb-2gb-graph/p/itmdah7ayqeqvycx?pid=COMDAH27M9PHMXSA

A small Vendor can beat Mr. Rastogi's (laptopwale) pricing. For what is he complaining?

Last edited:
FTA,
"Some online retailers in India are like BIGDE BETE of their BIG PAPA of USA"
"WE WILL ACT together to fix this very serious issue together with the help of all who believe that there must be survival and growth opportunity for all. SURVEY BHAWANTU SUKHINAH.."
"We will also be working on some other social issues after a period of time in near future"

Well looks like someone got trolled by e-commerce sites who have a defined working model.
Using Caps in your About tells me they have no clue what Internet is, go home people. You have no clue what you are doing.
Social issues? Like, saving stray dogs from evil clutches of Flipkart. :D

And now the political parties will jump into this fray. I think its high time to boycott those who want to stop online retail.

Also, as to those idiots who are telling to order on CoD and cancel, there are small time traders also present at Flipkart. They too will be affected.

Instead, get your act together. People will continue to buy stuff offline and online - and instead of attacking online, improve your sales. I know people who wont mind spending an extra 2K even if the same item is available online cheaper - they just want a working piece and no hassle replacement.

Ugh... do you guys remember when big malls and other similar retailers such as Big Bazaar were new in market (between 1999 and 2002 would be my guess)and these small shop owner guys started all the hullabaloo about how they all will starve due to these big shops?
They are still doing the same after 12 years.

This does not work here but in USA i used an app on my phone wherein when i used to go to Walmart, i would have to scan the barcode of the product and it would tell me the price of the same in stores around my location as well as prices on popular online store so if i think it is substantially less priced online i would buy there.

Not to forget, the funda of price matching.
Tell the retailers here in India about that (both online and offline), they ll commit mass suicide.

Back