Car & Bike Sedan under 12Lacs

prankie

Tech Addict
Disciple
Hello everyone.. I'm planning to upgrade from my Swift Diesel, to a Sedan. Here are my list of requirements-
1. My daily ride is less than 50Kms so will go for a petrol.
2. Engine should be peppy enough
3. Should have features like push button start, ABS, EBD etc.

I don't mind going for a SUV, but I already have an Ecosport at home, so that is out of list. Creta top model is out of my budget, and upcoming Brezza has same 1.3 litre engine which doesn't excite me.

I have short-listed, Honda City iVtech VX, Hyundai Verna, and Volkswagen Vento.

Need your inputs on the same..

Get Ciaz Hybrid.
Will be more cheaper than petrol.
A very VFM car in the segment.
Ciaz is a great car indeed, but it uses the same Diesel motor which Swift uses, its just turbocharged to pump out 90ps.. I have no idea what petrol motor it uses.. also service center near Kandivali (Western Mumbai Suburbs) is pathetic..

Ciaz is a great car indeed, but it uses the same Diesel motor which Swift uses, its just turbocharged to pump out 90ps.. I have no idea what petrol motor it uses.. also service center near Kandivali (Western Mumbai Suburbs) is pathetic..

SHVS hybrid is a bit different drive.Test drive it once.
Other option to consider
-Skoda Rapid

Honda City (last to consider) but mainly due to Petrol and auto

@prankie I am one of those minuscule minority who would say that if you are looking for a petrol sedan there is no beating the T-jet Linea at your price range. Add to that the fact that you will always get discounts from Fiat (50 K always) and up to 1 L depending on your bargaining skills.

A few reasons why:

1. Safety - The Linea is built like a tank - just take a test drive of the car and you would realize.
2. Engine - 114 BP and 207 NM torque - the power of a petrol and the torque of a diesel. What more can you want?
3. Hydraulic Steering - No other car can get you so connected as the steering in the Linea can.
4. Smaller stuff - Like the 205 mm tires (The Honda City gets Chikni Chameli's in comparison (175 MM)) , all 4 disc brakes to add a few.
3. A loyal Fiat following to help you out in case you need any help (caveat - I own a Fiat and I am one of those fans).

All said and done you should definitely do a test run ( a longish one to understand the car)

IMO, get a Vento TDI Automatic Variant with DSG Gearbox. The car's engine is a killer. With automatic gearbox you wont feel the difference. The quality is top notch and the introduction of the new techs in yesterday's auto expo event makes it a killer tech savy car with the most awesome gearbox, and built.

SHVS hybrid is a bit different drive.Test drive it once.

Honda City (last to consider) but mainly due to Petrol and auto
There's nothing different - its the same 90 bhp VGT multijet with a start stop system, ERS and some flywheel based assist. The assist is so small that Maruti doesn't even mention the numbers.

Anyways test drive the vento tsi and city. Chuck the verna from the list. It is insipid to drive. The Vento is a great car with questionable long term reliability backed by horrible VW service. City is a decent car with reasonable quality of service and things won't fail.

If you are game to some adventure, try getting the newly released Linea 125S. However based on where you live, fiat service and sales can be a hit or miss. If you are even more adventurous and don't mind a hatch, get the Abarth Punto :p. Both of these will be depreciation disasters :p.

Last edited:
I own a verna and a city. My uncle has the new vento petrol auto tsi.
For petrol, Honda city. For me this is the outright straight fwd choice.
Diesel, skoda rapid or Vento.

If there are any specifics you need answered, ill be more than happy to help.

Thanks for the suggestions.. Even I'm thinking of going for a City.. my only problem with the city are the thin tyres, which can be fixed.. What are your thoughts on 2016 verna? they have now brought in AVN and 6 airbags in the top model..

Thanks for the suggestions.. Even I'm thinking of going for a City.. my only problem with the city are the thin tyres, which can be fixed.. What are your thoughts on 2016 verna? they have now brought in AVN and 6 airbags in the top model..

For daily driving the size of the city tires has never been an issue nor have i noticed too much difference between the city and verna. My recommendation of City over verna is more on practical reasons:
The cabin space of city is a lot more than verna. Rear 3 passengers are very comfy in a city, gets a bit cramped in a verna. Very cramped in a vento.
The city has a stiffer suspension and i tend to drive at 100+ on the highway so it gives me a lot more confidence. Verna with its softer suspension setup eats potholes a lot better but here in mumbai the main roads aint bad at all, so thats again not been too much of a requirement for me. You need to test drive these, to check what suits you fancy.
The top end new city is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and has more or less closed the gap on verna on the equipment front.
City FE is a lot better than the verna on the highways. City drive both cars clock between 10-12/ petrol.
If FE is not a concern, do try the Skoda Rapid. It handles a lot better than a vento and you will get some amazing offers on it.

Not tried the new Verna

Many reports coming that the new city does not have the same build quality as the older versions which led to huge "Honda City quality car" hype. So, read up the reports and buy on the realities of current version of Honda City not the hype(justified) of the older versions. The new city has flimsy build and starts rattling and gives other niggles after some time, read this 21 page thread on new City Build and quality:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ion-arent-honda-cars-niggle-free-anymore.html[DOUBLEPOST=1454939997][/DOUBLEPOST]

Why not test drive both the new Hyundai 4S fluidic Verna and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz petrol? Both are nice cars, go to the showrooms and have a good look and test drive.

Last edited:
have u looked at the s cross 1.6 engine version ? Has 320 NM torque for a lotta fun filled driving plus build quality is nice and is quite spacious. Its not a sedan and neither a suv , kinda in between. Else the Honda city petrol is good.

have u looked at the s cross 1.6 engine version ? Has 320 NM torque for a lotta fun filled driving plus build quality is nice and is quite spacious. Its not a sedan and neither a suv , kinda in between. Else the Honda city petrol is good.
It's neither a sedan nor an suv. It's a full Size hatchback - the shape is classic hatchback. It's a nice fun car though on the highway. In city there is a lot of turbo lag. Surprisingly agile for something on stilts.

Back