SBI says husband can't use wife's debit card, court agrees

^^ Its a pretty common scenario with PSU Bank ATM's which don't have good maintenance. ATM's as you might know are maintained by third party agencies. Private banks ensure good maintenance for their ATM's and problems are rare. Even when such a scenario happens, the transaction is almost always reversed automatically when they see that cash was not dispensed.

Maybe PSU banks don't bother with proper integration and such errors result in amount getting deducted. Sometimes, they are reversed, but if it doesn't happen, you are in for a nightmare. In most cases, they bank will just check their own records, if the transaction is recorded as success in their system. (i.e. amount was deducted), they won't bother that you didn't get the money and will tell you that the transaction is a success.
Happened to me once on HDFC using my sisters card withdrawing 10k. Called customer care and they said it'll be reversed in two days. got my money 2 hours after that.

i mean no offence to anyone here, but how on earth any technically and socially aware people still deal with SBI ?
I fail to understand this point.

One after another there are so many issues with this bank & people still trust and do business with therm, and again crib about it!
if a goat go and dance near slaughterhouse what will happen ?
Location ?

there are no private banks nearby, but plenty of PSB's. Nearby means walking five minutes instead of 30 or more

i mean no offence to anyone here, but how on earth any technically and socially aware people still deal with SBI ?

One after another there are so many issues with this bank & people still trust and do business with therm, and again crib about it!

Large number of bank locations plus people getting pensions. changing pension bank accounts is a pain in the ass and most people just carry on with SBI. Also poor people can't maintain accounts in other banks since they have large minimum balance requirements.

This is just a stupid move by SBI, especially if the couple were right. Urgently getting in touch with the right people is very important in such cases. I prefer to use branch ATMs rather than stand alone ones because in that case, the branch manager can help a lot, like my dad did. But it doesn't work in all cases, especially when even the branch ATM might be managed by a third party or central department of the bank.

I'm amazed the manager couldn't be of more help. How this has to go to court when it can be shown the money was not dispensed

I think there is something else going on. Somebody told me banks aren't liable if you write down your pin number somewhere. If they know you did that they can refuse to help in case of theft. This was for a UK bank btw, even said so in the T&C's. Here we have a case of passing on the pin but no money was dispensed. So they just decided to wash their hands off it.

Going by the book a little too strictly with no common sense. Dealing with bots not humans. Should have escalated this to higher management,

I'm forced to use SBI for PPF, and a SBI savings account so I can self transfer funds to PPF through net banking without visiting branch. There are no other public sector banks in my area to offer this facility at the time I opened my account

I'm forced to use SBI for PPF, and a SBI savings account so I can self transfer funds to PPF through net banking without visiting branch. There are no other public sector banks in my area to offer this facility at the time I opened my account
ICICI is not an option available to you ?

SBI for PPF is fine, but any bank savings account can do an NEFT to the SBI PPF account. No need to have an SBI savings account for just that.

An ATM not dispensing cash and unauthorized usage of ATM card are mutually exclusive events. SBI should have first refunded the amount and then penalized the customer as per rules. Instead they decided to wash their hands off the negligence on their side.

But does the ATM allow to withdraw 25000 in single transaction. I have used various ATMs but none allowed more than 10000 in single transaction.
Also a similar case has happened with me a few years back. someone used the ATM before me and the cash was not dispensed. When I went to withdraw cash I got excess amount from the previous transaction.
As it was an in office ATM, it was easy to trace the user before me and the money was given to him.

^ I was thinking this too. maybe their particular card allowed more than 10k for single transactions or maybe this was few years ago which allowed more than 10k per transaction

SBI for PPF is fine, but any bank savings account can do an NEFT to the SBI PPF account. No need to have an SBI savings account for just that.

You need an SBI Savings account to have the amount deposited back when PPF matures after 15 years. They won't deposit in another bank account.

Even I have SBI account for the same reason. I didn't even bother to get an ATM/debit card for it. Don't keep much money in it either. Its sole existence is for the PPF account. I would love to have the PPF transferred to HDFC/ICICI and close the SBI account, but they will give you a hard time over it too and make you run around in circles just to force you to keep the account there.

An ATM not dispensing cash and unauthorized usage of ATM card are mutually exclusive events. SBI should have first refunded the amount and then penalized the customer as per rules. Instead they decided to wash their hands off the negligence on their side.

More like they found a way to swipe those funds. Important point here is that as per the cash verification report procured by the couple, there was 25k excess cash in the ATM and there is enough video evidence to show that the husband did not get the amount and the wife was never there to withdraw. However the SBI staff submitted a document of their own to show that there was no excess cash. So, more than likely that some staff at the branch in tandem with the third party ATM management vendor swiped those excess funds at some point. I doubt SBI as an entity would do this.

If that's the case then better remove all cctvs as anyways they are only used to catch thieves robbing neighborhood shops rather than being used for sole primary purpose.
As in this case sbi proved that Technically the slip says money debited but Visually on cctv it isnt which they ignored. So better make a new law that anything caught on cctv in any crime is just a secondary time pass joke proof which cannot be considered.

Also now bank shall introduce fingerprint scanning verification after atm pin input.

Make face identification mandate when a person swipes his her card the first thing is to look at cctv and the bank shall verifiy if the person is genuine or not and accordingly allow or deny further transaction stating the reason in the slip.

Govt cannot invest in such technology rather just rob janata with its ghanta.

You need an SBI Savings account to have the amount deposited back when PPF matures after 15 years. They won't deposit in another bank account.

OT - Not true, at least in my dad's case. He had a PPF account with SBI but no savings account. He used to easily transfer money to and from his IDBI Bank savings account to his PPF account in SBI.

Two years ago, PNB were trying to make us open an account with them to claim inheritance money from my grandfather's account. They started by citing a rule that they don't transfer money to another bank's account if amount is above 50k. I showed them documents downloaded from PNB's website itself which showed same was only true in case amount was more than 5L and made them transfer the amount to my SBI bank account.

Back