Samsung Galaxy S IV launch date, new features..

NEW DELHI: The launch of Samsung Galaxy S IV looks like much-anticipated event in the smartphone industry. The device will take over the mantle of the South Korean company's flagship device from Galaxy S III, which recently clocked 40 million in sales. There have been rumours of the device's specifications for long, but now a potential launch date for the upcoming smartphone has also come to the fore.

Technology blog SamMobile has said in a report that the biggest phone maker in the world will host a Samsung Unpacked event either towards the end of February or in March this year. The device will start shipping from Week 16, which translates to April 15, 2013.

The report also says that the upcoming Galaxy S IV will feature wireless charging, and the wireless charging kit will be shipped a couple of weeks after the device starts selling. The battery capacity of the smartphone will be 2600mAh, as compared to the 21,00mAh in the current flagship. Samsung Galaxy S IV is said to be initially launched in two colours - white and black.

Another tidbit revealed by SamMobile is that the smartphone is now being developed under the codename Project Altius (J). Till now, it was being developed under the moniker Project J, named after JK Shin, the president of the Samsung's mobile division. The device has been codenamed GT-I9500, says the post.

Previously, a section in Samsung's booth at Consumer Electronics Show 2013 revealed details of the display of Galaxy S IV - 4.99-inch SuperAMOLED full-HD touchscreen with 440ppi pixel density. It is said that the upcoming phone's screen will be unbreakable and bendable, as demonstrated with the Youm display at CES 2013. Galaxy S IV is expected to run on a quad-core processor clocked at 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 13MP rear camera.

Source

Seems like Samsung has decided to offset/upset the apple's strategy to refresh their line up every six months.

Alright hush-hush time boys ..

Sources "inside" Samsung tell me that
1. the S IV body will have "sharper corners"
2. Samsung is going to rely heavily on motion gestures , not the screen swipe but more of the wave your hand in front of the phone kind.

It would be better if they concentrate on improving the finish and in-hand feel of the galaxy range than adding gimmicks like motion gestures on a phone.

Screw everything else, Samsung. Just make sure you make the drivers of your processor and other hardware open source. If they don't do this, I'm never buying a Samsung phone again. Most great devs have their eyes on the Xperia Z and I'll gladly follow them blindly.

Can anyone explain me what Sony has done so great ? (*noob alert..i genuinely don't know). Also what is the advantage of whatever they have done ?

Can anyone explain me what Sony has done so great ? (*noob alert..i genuinely don't know). Also what is the advantage of whatever they have done ?

Following reasons --
  • For the first time SONY's flagship device is carrying the same hardware firepower that is expected to come from other brands like SAMSUNG unless they plan to go octa-core.
  • Large screen-size, most SONY devices carry a smaller screen than their competition, ostensibly for lesser load on a GPU (less RAM usage) and for increasingly high PPI rates, they are currently at the top of the Retina-esque pixel density curve.
  • Their phones exude class, I am not saying SAMSUNG OR hTC phones are poorly built actually the former uses atrocious plastics on its premium devices. But then no flagship carries IP-57 rating while still giving an iPhone a run for its money in the style-quotient.
  • Redesigned Android interface, although I like the Timescape skin on top of stock Android I am firmly in the minority and SONY has acknowledged the same so it is going to the basics with a more lightly skinned Android OS. This will allow SONY to patch their devices faster with the latest iterations of the OS.
  • Hopefully the hype will catch on the with the Developer community and we can have good ROM's to choose from.
Hope this explains why, hopefully SONY will break their lacklustre sales chart and start on a more North-bound course.

Well the bigger reason is Sony is the most developer friendly OEM, and Sony even has developer representatives at XDA that interact with the developers there. Also using Qualcomm chips in their phones means developers get the code quickly, unlike Samsung which still hasn't released Exynos code yet. :)

Sony even gave away Xperia T for free to top developers.

And yeah, I can't say much at this point but Samsung is going to get a taste of its own medicine this year from Sony. ;)

Besides what alpha pointed out, here is a good read explaining why sony has the support of the top developers this time around :)

im almost certainly getting the xperia z, unless tegra 4 has >25% more power than the krait 8064 used in the sony. the only thing more i would have liked to have in the z is wireless charging :(

^

Though not exactly wireless charging, the Z does charge "without" wires. The charging dock charges the Z via the pogo pins. So no wires needed

sony-xperia-z-charging-dock-sny-dk26cd.jpg

^ Just about when Sony's P J Z will..
or maybe around when Android's Alphabet desserts will be done with.

Anybody's guess.

More relevant question i think is when will the frenzy of increasing the screen size end.

I am not really sure how comfortable it will be to do the hovering thing rather than actually touching screen. May be people will adapt the same way we adapted touchscreen in favour of keypads.

Back