Budget 90k+ Ryzen gaming build requiring suggestions

Its likely that he got an inflated quote for ASUS ROG Strix, which might have closed the gap. Or, he is indeed getting the Asrock at 12k. lol.. I am really curious now.
No he is right actually. When I read ASRock, I thought he was buying the Fatal1ty boards so I thought how could the price gap be so little? Reading the post again opened my eyes. BTW if you are going with ASRock, then Fatal1ty can be a good board if you can spare a couple more. They have good VRMs and provide a lot of other bells and whistles.

BTW the X370 Killer is going for 12.9k at PrimeABGB, so I guess shops could offer them at 12k - ish rates maybe, or 11k if you are really lucky.

Looks like the i5 8400 is way better in games than the Ryzen 1600. Also, local market dealers are selling the i5 at a lower price than the Ryzen. This makes me wonder, do I really need the hyperthreading given that I won't run Civilization or do video editing.

Also came to know that B360 boards won't be out until next year and Z370 is gonna be expensive, as always. That's sad :(

The 8400 has a Base clock of 2.8ghz, what is going on? Will wait for some folks with a retail sample with a review.

The 8400 has a Base clock of 2.8ghz, what is going on? Will wait for some folks with a retail sample with a review.
The i5-8400 has an impressively high 4.0GHz turbo, but the base clock of 2.8GHz might scare some away. Rest easy, as the CPU will actually run at 4.0GHz on one core, 3.9GHz with 2-4 cores loaded, and 3.8GHz with all six cores loaded to capacity

Source- Pcgamer.com

The i5-8400 has an impressively high 4.0GHz turbo, but the base clock of 2.8GHz might scare some away. Rest easy, as the CPU will actually run at 4.0GHz on one core, 3.9GHz with 2-4 cores loaded, and 3.8GHz with all six cores loaded to capacity

Source- Pcgamer.com

Coffee Lake Con Job, love this YTer, his research and analytical skills are top notch -

Coffee Lake Con Job, love this YTer, his research and analytical skills are top notch -

Regarding the scores being all over the place, some of the reviewers confirmed that the asus boards were applying all core turbo of 4.7 GHz all the time. We should ignore the score of the reviewers who had used asus boards. Also the processors seem to turbo boost differently on different boards - not sure why!

Also just FYI the CPU will hit base clock only in AVX2 apps where the heat output is much higher.

Last edited:
Well I guess we are deciding on it too early. As far as my usage is concerned a H360 will work like a charm with a 8400. Ryzen is best ATM, but Intel is about to change the game(atleast looks like it). The only concern I have is whether H360 boards will support overclocking or not. Any thoughts on that, folks?

For gaming only i5 7th gen was already a bit better than the ryzen 1600, Now coffee lake will definitely take the game(literally) up a notch, as we can see from all the coffee lake benchmarks.
The H and B series boards wont be released until 1st half/quarter of 2018. The overclocking will only be supported on the Z series boards as always ,which are the only ones available right now.
Being in the same boat as you are i was thinking to get the 8400 and budget Z370 board (dropping the ryzen 1600 completely after its release) which is only up by 4-5k from a good non Z board and upgrade to 8700k few years down the line.

Well I guess we are deciding on it too early. As far as my usage is concerned a H360 will work like a charm with a 8400. Ryzen is best ATM, but Intel is about to change the game(atleast looks like it). The only concern I have is whether H360 boards will support overclocking or not. Any thoughts on that, folks?
They most likely will not suport over clocking, additionally the non k chips are locked. Also, you will be restricted to 2666mhz ram speed on the non Z motherboards.

An update from my side, I got sick of waiting for coffee lake stock and purchased a b350 mobo. Built my ryzen system today. Getting higher fps in overwatch over my 2500k, definitely better for multitasking.
a26ff4417d9439bf9ffec8cbc781bc84.jpg
e7d1b7a6ff510d4bca18a04b940aca05.jpg
6e66f6e25e650de56327f37826defbba.jpg

Yeah reports say that i5 8400 out performs the Ryzen 1600 by huge margin. In some cases it performs almost equal to the i7 7700K. With a 14.5k price tag i5 8400 is definitely the way to go for budget gamers who don't want to overclock. Wish Intel released those H370 boards a little sooner, grrrrrr.

If u can wait till April then you can wait otherwise going with an entry level z370 is also an option.
See a good H or B mobo will cost around 8k, i dont think 4-5k mobos will justify our needs.Even when we were looking at ryzen we r looking at Ab350 boards which would have costed us around 8k.

Z370 boards start at around 11k and also offer you more than B or H series boards so they justify their price not to mention that they are well built to withstand overclocking and will surely outlast other boards.
In 3-4k more you get
1. A sturdy well build mobo.
2. More features than H & B boards.
3. Advantage of overclocking
4. More future proof as you can upgrade to an unlocked i7/i5.

with that - 3 years down the line you can be at par with the gaming performance of the then current gens processors. Not to miss Canon lake will be supported by these mobos. so 3-4 years down the line just upgrade an easily available and well priced 9700k and be set for another 3-4 years.

An investment now will pay off in future.

And yea most importantly you can game NOW.

In my experience, motherboards fail much earlier than processors (I don't overclock). Motherboards are good for 4-5 years, processors longer. In fact, my current computer motherboard has been giving me problems for last 6 months, and now seem to be completely dead (4.5 yr old).

So if you are planning to upgrade after 3-4 years, you might need a new motherboard anyways.

In my experience, motherboards fail much earlier than processors (I don't overclock). Motherboards are good for 4-5 years, processors longer. In fact, my current computer motherboard has been giving me problems for last 6 months, and now seem to be completely dead (4.5 yr old).

So if you are planning to upgrade after 3-4 years, you might need a new motherboard anyways.

This is exactly why buying low end boards is not a good idea. They have cheap VRM components which fail. In the worst case, they might take the cpu with them.

Based on so many internet reviews, gaming system on rayzen is not the best idea. intel is way better for these purposes.

Based on so many internet reviews, gaming system on rayzen is not the best idea. intel is way better for these purposes.
Its more like Ryzen is okay but Intel is better. And the problem with Indian folks is that overclocking is just not worth it. To get a stable 5GHz overclock on the i5-8600K we need a 240mm AIO. That itself costs atleast 9k+. So why not spend that on a better GPU? In any situation after 4-5 years we have to get new processor, motherboard and RAM modules as games starts to stutter. GPU way before than that period need to be upgraded. So for that I think its best not to overclock, at least when someone like me is going for a system just along the 1 lakh mark. Folks with a sack of money can easily afford that, but for us even paying the extra GST + Customs duty which is around 30% in most cases hurt like hell.

Just my opinion, not enforcing anything here.

^^ I disagree a little bit here. Overclocking the CPU will help with the minimum frame rates with games that can utilize the higher speed. I had a phenom II 720BE which I bought in 2009. Default clock rate was 2.8 GHz and no turbo. By 2011, I overclocked it to 3.3 on a coolermaster evo 212 cooler which I bought for only 2000 or so. It still runs good with that. Its been 8 years of CPU and 6 years of Overclocked CPU. You may not notice a difference between 3.3 and a higher number but there was definitely a difference between 2.8 and 3.3. By the same logic, overclocking a today's intel to 4.8 or so might not require the same cooler but will prove to be a good performance boost (remember, minimum frame rates). Getting it to 5 may require a huge investment but not yield much better results. Its about finding the best ROI when overclocking. e.g. Ryzen can easily overclock to about 3.8 on all cores with the stock cooler. AND, it produces amazing results. Pushing it beyond this needs an after market cooler and still will only gain 200-300 MHz which in my opinion is not a good decision with mid range PC builders.

And yes, I agree on 4-5 years bit. On a mid range PC of today, you will get stutters in 4 years. Even upgrading the GPU wont help at that point. Overhaul becomes almost necessary at that point. :)

Back