Graphic Cards RX480 priced at 30.4k in India

An User on Dutch forum tweakers received his Rx 480 4 gb version and what do you see when you remove the 4 gb sticker from the box.:D

eMTfEVo.jpg

An User on Dutch forum tweakers received his Rx 480 4 gb version and what do you see when you remove the 4 gb sticker from the box.:D

Its an open secret that the 4GB versions of the initial cards are basically the 8GB card with a different bios. Its just a vbios flash away to becoming 8GB.

The AMD CEO did a QnA on reddit during the launch, and this question was brought up. He said that the review units were 8gb with 4gb locked so that the reviewers could review both the versions with just a BIOS flash. Maybe some of the review units found their way to the market. I would be very surprised if ALL 4gb models would turn out to have 8gb physical ram.

Pretty sure, AMD did this to have more stock of the 4gbs at the $200 price point available at loaunch. Well its a good time to buy a 4gb right now and get a free upgrade to 8 gb version.

Seems like 4 gb is sold out most places and I am sure the later 4gb cards are going to be strictly 4gb once they have the production stuff ironed out.

RADEON RX 480 HAS ITS PRICE DECREASED IN INDIA

The 4 GB variant, which was previously available at INR 22,990, is now priced at INR 20,990. The 8 GB variant on the other hand has fallen from INR 26,990 to INR 22,990.They have also indicated the price is inclusive of duty, freight, distribution margin and VAT.
[DOUBLEPOST=1469549528][/DOUBLEPOST]They realized they weren't going to sell any since the aftermarket 1060 were cheaper than the reference 480.

Really sloppy, AMD.

From what I know, it was not AMD jacking up prices, it was the local distributors. Anyway, that is good news. Hope the 470 is good and cheap!

It's still AMD's fault because they don't have a proper distributor like Nvidia does that will stick to MSRP. From 28,999 to 26,999 to 22,999.

AMD didn't state any MSRP for India. Which is the problem. Get an official distributor, state MSRP for all countries you want to launch in (atleast important ones) and monitor pricing. Having a minimum one channel that prices components close to your declared price which will force others to follow suit.

It's still AMD's fault because they don't have a proper distributor like Nvidia does that will stick to MSRP. From 28,999 to 26,999 to 22,999.

AMD didn't state any MSRP for India. Which is the problem. Get an official distributor, state MSRP for all countries you want to launch in (atleast important ones) and monitor pricing. Having a minimum one channel that prices components close to your declared price which will force others to follow suit.

I completely agree. It is AMDs fault. The distributors for the two products aren't different after all, are they ? Same guy sells both. I had mentioned this earlier as well, same was the case with R9 390 and GTX 970.

In fact, I even have doubts that the distributors could do it. Why is this announcement coming from AMD if the distributors were jacking up prices? Someone somewhere is behaving very stupidly in the whole supply chain...

Price has been updated. What a damn circus. Would have bought it on day 1. Instead i ordered replacement fans from aliexpress for my 7950.
RX480.png

Sure the GTX 1060 looks slightly better (10%) than the RX 480. But looking at Nvidia's track record, i have to assume the RX 480 will age much better(Vulkan sauce). One glance at the 290x or 7970 will attest to this. If you change cards every year or two, pick the GTX 1060. If you go longer, go with the 480.

It was never going to be 11k here. We aren't privileged like the americans.

Although it should have been 15k. Still, the Great Indian Markup is lower than what it is for the RX 480. And 6k cheaper than the next tier card is a large attraction.

Early benchmarks show the RX 470 to be more or less the same as the GTX 970.
Hell, even the GTX 1060 (max 8-10 frames slower).

Pretty amazing considering a Sapphire 470 is 10k cheaper than the top tier 970s and 1060s.
And 6k cheaper than the bottom barrel 1060s.

Wonder if I should've waited before buying a 1060...

Last edited:
470 is more or less 480 without juice. little less frequency and 4gb vram. but benchmarks show its almost just 10% behind 480 and more or less equals 970. thats amazing.

gtx 960 buyers regret is setting in for me :)

btw I heard people are buying amd cards in bulk for mining coins. thats why its out of stock most of the time. but a large batch is supposedly on way

Back