Router With OpenVPN Support

Recently I got tplink 3600 for 2.7k... Ddwrt support is there n600 with gigabit ports and 2 usb. Don't use openvpn but I suppose it would work

I was able to connect to the VPN but the routes don't seem to be routed , if anyone knows how to make them work I would like to know . I haven't tried openWRT yet on this router .

I would say go for a router with DDwrt support
Have used OpenVpn on desktop but never configured one on on a router.

You can try DD-WRT or Tomato
Connect to Your Home Network From Anywhere with OpenVPN and Tomato
How To Install and Configure OpenVPN On Your DD-WRT Router
Did not understand, your best bet is https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN18U/
Or if you want to buy a router, the configuration step looks like this
Setting Up And Using OpenVPN On ASUS Routers

I would say go for a router with DDwrt support
Have used OpenVpn on desktop but never configured one on on a router.

You can try DD-WRT or Tomato
Connect to Your Home Network From Anywhere with OpenVPN and Tomato
How To Install and Configure OpenVPN On Your DD-WRT Router

Or if you want to buy a router, the configuration step looks like this
Setting Up And Using OpenVPN On ASUS Routers
Thing is I use a ddwrt router, the router connects to VPN but the routes are not implemented by default so after connecting I lose Internet connection. I can't understand how to forward the traffic to VPN. If anyone has done it maybe he might be able to help.

My earlier post was for @dinjo
Thing is I use a ddwrt router, the router connects to VPN but the routes are not implemented by default so after connecting I lose Internet connection. I can't understand how to forward the traffic to VPN. If anyone has done it maybe he might be able to help.
Since you can connect to VPN,check whether the OpenVpn daemon is working.
ps | grep "openvpn"

In the OpenVPN server configuration there is a option to foreward queries to DNS or something like that, you might need to have that option enabled i.e. Direct clients to redirect Internet Traffic

b_550_0_16777215_00__images_stories_security_openvpn_series_asus_advanced_settings_advanced.jpg

In the OpenVPN server configuration there is a option to foreward queries to DNS or something like that, you might need to have that option enabled i.e. Direct clients to redirect Internet Traffic

b_550_0_16777215_00__images_stories_security_openvpn_series_asus_advanced_settings_advanced.jpg
I was trying to setup the connection on behalf of dinjo, his provider had sent keys and certificate, that I think should be put in the openvpn client, the server config is on their end. The connection to the VPN is established just that my traffic can't find a route between the router and VPN. The files work on the openvpn client of any PC or laptop. So only thing is the routing table, I am not very versed with that part of the router I just know the basics but don't know how to put in code.

I was trying to setup the connection on behalf of dinjo, his provider had sent keys and certificate, that I think should be put in the openvpn client, the server config is on their end. The connection to the VPN is established just that my traffic can't find a route between the router and VPN. The files work on the openvpn client of any PC or laptop. So only thing is the routing table, I am not very versed with that part of the router I just know the basics but don't know how to put in code.

:) same here, need expert advice, someone like @vivek.krishnan might be able to help you

Last edited:
I will look this up this week, my N13U is sitting like a muesuem piece.

You may need to add the route 0.0.0.0 with the IP of the VPN as next HOP to make it default route. I use the same stuff but in the opposite way to block access to certain ranges.

I will look this up this week, my N13U is sitting like a muesuem piece.

You may need to add the route 0.0.0.0 with the IP of the VPN as next HOP to make it default route. I use the same stuff but in the opposite way to block access to certain ranges.

You must donate the router then ;-)

Back