Video Roku for Amazon Prime in India

Hi,

I know this topic was beaten to death on multiple threads. Yet, I am asking this question once again as I need certain specific answers.

1) Does Roku prevent usage of its device in India?
2) Do we get the same UI for Amazon Prime as with Fire Stick?
3) Same question as above for Netflix
4) How easy is it to side load other Indian VOD providers such as Hotstar?

I have seen some suggestions on getting an Android TV boxes. Do all these support Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc? Is it something as simple as downloading the apps from play store and providing the user credentials with in the Apps? How secure are our user ids and passwords with these Android TV boxes? How good is the UI of these Android TV boxes from the perspective of quick access to favourite channels across VOD services?

Thanks,
Srikanth

Last edited:
Hi,

I know this topic was beaten to death on multiple threads. Yet, I am asking this question once again as I need certain specific answers.
I have seen some suggestions on getting an Android TV boxes. Do all these support Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc? Is it something as simple as downloading the apps from play store and providing the user credentials with in the Apps? How secure are our user ids and passwords with these Android TV boxes? How good is the UI of these Android TV boxes from the perspective of quick access to favourite channels across VOD services?

Thanks,
Srikanth

I can answer the part regarding Android TV boxes. These boxes actually have OS designed for mobiles, so yes, there is the Google PlayStore and all the apps on it can be downloaded and installed. If the box is factory rooted, then you can install apps which require root like adblock etc. Just think of these Android boxes as powerful video streaming or playing mobiles without a screen. There is a basic remote to browse and click. For stuff like typing in usernames and to browse apps that are not tv friendly, you will have to get one of those cheap wifi keyboard plus trackpad combos. Its very difficult to do anything with the included remote.
UI is just one screen with icons in front for Kodi, Google PlayStore, and shortcuts to apps. There is an app drawer too.

For Amazon Prime Video, the interface is probably that of tablet. I had it on my phone and android box, and both looked different. It used to take ethernet connection first but after the last update, it wants wifi only. Amazon Video stays logged in and there is settings for parental control. Normal remote worked first, but now we need wifi keyboard to do anything.

Netflix I installed from PS and I have yet to try out its free trial. For writing username etc, yes we need wifi keyboard.

I have SonyLiv & Hotstar apps too- Hotstar does not work on the android box properly. Needs wifi and wont work on ethernet. Remote does not work on this app. Requires wifi keyboard to do anything. Picture quality is less than dvd.
SonyLiv is probably the best in picture quality - almost hdtv level. Cant use remote to browse the app. Requires wifi keyboard to do anything.

security - i dont know. maybe there's an option to do hardware encryption but i didn't try it.

How good is the UI of these Android TV boxes from the perspective of quick access to favourite channels across VOD services?
I didn't get you. Can you name some VOD services you have in mind? Is it something like mobdro? (yes we can install such live stream apps but dont expect HD stream in indian channels. All i've seen is people passing hotstar or 360p video streams.)
Quick access to channels in UI would depend on the app mostly. Don't let the word TV fool you. No TV type channel switching here. Its phone type broswing with wifi kbd only.

Edit: Look at a video review to know what these can do

I can answer the part regarding Android TV boxes. These boxes actually have OS designed for mobiles, so yes, there is the Google PlayStore and all the apps on it can be downloaded and installed. If the box is factory rooted, then you can install apps which require root like adblock etc. Just think of these Android boxes as powerful video streaming or playing mobiles without a screen. There is a basic remote to browse and click. For stuff like typing in usernames and to browse apps that are not tv friendly, you will have to get one of those cheap wifi keyboard plus trackpad combos. Its very difficult to do anything with the included remote.
UI is just one screen with icons in front for Kodi, Google PlayStore, and shortcuts to apps. There is an app drawer too.

For Amazon Prime Video, the interface is probably that of tablet. I had it on my phone and android box, and both looked different. It used to take ethernet connection first but after the last update, it wants wifi only. Amazon Video stays logged in and there is settings for parental control. Normal remote worked first, but now we need wifi keyboard to do anything.

Netflix I installed from PS and I have yet to try out its free trial. For writing username etc, yes we need wifi keyboard.

I have SonyLiv & Hotstar apps too- Hotstar does not work on the android box properly. Needs wifi and wont work on ethernet. Remote does not work on this app. Requires wifi keyboard to do anything. Picture quality is less than dvd.
SonyLiv is probably the best in picture quality - almost hdtv level. Cant use remote to browse the app. Requires wifi keyboard to do anything.

security - i dont know. maybe there's an option to do hardware encryption but i didn't try it.

I didn't get you. Can you name some VOD services you have in mind? Is it something like mobdro? (yes we can install such live stream apps but dont expect HD stream in indian channels. All i've seen is people passing hotstar or 360p video streams.)
Quick access to channels in UI would depend on the app mostly. Don't let the word TV fool you. No TV type channel switching here. Its phone type broswing with wifi kbd only.

Edit: Look at a video review to know what these can do

Thanks for the detailed response. I have been into this game ever since I built my first HTPC in 2000. I am not tired of building and maintaining one anymore. I do have a Raspberry Pi that I use OSMC on. So Kodi is not new to new. I found the Kodi remote app and Yatse are good enough for R-Pi. I will try side loading Amazon Prime on it.

After seeing the video (thanks for that) you linked Android boxes seem to be too much trouble than what they are worth. Also, I just do not like the UI. May be something like a nVidia Shield could be better.

What I meant by quick access to favourite channels is, say if I like one stream from YuppTV and another from Hotstar, and another from a Radio station etc, is there a way to have them show up on the home screen for direct access. Currently on Kodi, If I like 5 radio stations on TuneIn I can have them as favourites within the TuneIn plugin but not the home screen. What this means is that to access a favourite Youtube Channel or a music station I need to navigate to those plugins first.

All in all, the more I see the Android box reviews the more I am convinced that they are not ready to replace consumer electronics grade devices. Having said that my experience with TeeWe has been pathetic. This is the reason I am leaning more towards Roku but I am not sure if it will work in India.

What I meant by quick access to favourite channels is, say if I like one stream from YuppTV and another from Hotstar, and another from a Radio station etc, is there a way to have them show up on the home screen for direct access. Currently on Kodi, If I like 5 radio stations on TuneIn I can have them as favourites within the TuneIn plugin but not the home screen. What this means is that to access a favourite Youtube Channel or a music station I need to navigate to those plugins first.
If you have an android phone, if you can do what you said on your phone (adding individual streams as shortcut to your home screen), then it can be done on the android box. Remember I told you, all these boxes only have the mobile os on them. So if your mobile can do something, these can probably do the same thing. AFAIK, you cant add shortcuts to streams within an app. If Hotstar or YuppTV apps allows such shortcuts to be made, only then you can add them. In Amazon, Hotstar and other video streaming apps, I have seen that the last 5-6 viewed tv series comes up in a side scroll bar so you can just click on the series icon and go to that series directly. For Youtube, once you have logged in you can see all the subscriptions on YT home screen.

All in all, the more I see the Android box reviews the more I am convinced that they are not ready to replace consumer electronics grade devices.
That depends on what you're trying to replace. I wanted to replace my computer as a media player due to the high electric bills. The android box solved that purpose beautifully. In just < 3W power usage, it can play most of the mediafiles out there. Plus I can watch youTube in fullHD if i want without any stutter. Plus on my phone in youtube, there's a mismatch bewteen audio and video always but in this box there's no such problem.

It has drawbacks like some files which are encoded for pc (like not encoded to the h264/hevc baseline standards) will stutter or go out of sync really fast. In such cases I watch such videos on my pc. But for 90% of videos I dont require a pc. This is with a box having just 2GB ram and 16GB storage. Also another drawback is audio out is through usb otg cable. But these are okay since it met my purpose of not having to switch on the pc and waste power just to watch movies and tv series.

for amazon prime get the amazon tv - its OOS till 31st march on US AMAZON though.

I do not want to enter an ecosystem or hardware that has the ability to lock me out of competitors even in the future though that does not seem to be the case now with Fire TV. I am end up with Fire TV though. Do you know if it will play Prime Videos (Indian Content) in India as the device is not yet launched in India.

If you have an android phone, if you can do what you said on your phone (adding individual streams as shortcut to your home screen), then it can be done on the android box. Remember I told you, all these boxes only have the mobile os on them. So if your mobile can do something, these can probably do the same thing. AFAIK, you cant add shortcuts to streams within an app. If Hotstar or YuppTV apps allows such shortcuts to be made, only then you can add them. In Amazon, Hotstar and other video streaming apps, I have seen that the last 5-6 viewed tv series comes up in a side scroll bar so you can just click on the series icon and go to that series directly. For Youtube, once you have logged in you can see all the subscriptions on YT home screen.

That depends on what you're trying to replace. I wanted to replace my computer as a media player due to the high electric bills. The android box solved that purpose beautifully. In just < 3W power usage, it can play most of the mediafiles out there. Plus I can watch youTube in fullHD if i want without any stutter. Plus on my phone in youtube, there's a mismatch bewteen audio and video always but in this box there's no such problem.

It has drawbacks like some files which are encoded for pc (like not encoded to the h264/hevc baseline standards) will stutter or go out of sync really fast. In such cases I watch such videos on my pc. But for 90% of videos I dont require a pc. This is with a box having just 2GB ram and 16GB storage. Also another drawback is audio out is through usb otg cable. But these are okay since it met my purpose of not having to switch on the pc and waste power just to watch movies and tv series.

Agreed. If it meets one's requirement that is all there's to it.

I do not want to enter an ecosystem or hardware that has the ability to lock me out of competitors even in the future though that does not seem to be the case now with Fire TV. I am end up with Fire TV though. Do you know if it will play Prime Videos (Indian Content) in India as the device is not yet launched in India.

what ecosystem?

what ecosystem?
Amazon today is allowing Netflix and Youtube. What if they block them in future? What if there are new VOD providers and Amazon does not allow them on their hardware/platform? An independent device vendor has more reasons to allow as many VOD providers as possible while someone like Amazon or Apple TV or Chromecast have no reason to do so.

U wanted for amazon prime change your thread topic then dude .. Anyways these are moot points if u run kodi

Do you mean to say there are reliable plug ins for Prime, Netflix, YuppTV, Hotstar etc? At least for Hotstar I do not see a way of entering my user id and password with in the plug in.

Back