User Review Republic Of Gamers Sica and Whetstone Review

FbjUjtl.jpg

The Republic of Gamers brand name has always been synonymous with an expensive price tag. Anything that carried the fabled Red eye logo wasn't going to go easy on your wallet. With that being said Asus seems intent on breaking preconceived notions with their new entrant in the Gaming Rodent section of things: the Sica.

Announced in CES 2015 as a no-frills gaming mouse, the Sica is in every regard a gaming mouse with the bare essentials. There aren't a million LED settings, there aren't 16 side mouse buttons. Rumored to be priced at $40, this will make it a contender for the low/medium end mouse segment.

Another product announced along with the Sica was the Whetstone mousepad, the unique texture combined with the silicone base makes it a premium mouse pad akin to the Destructor and shall be priced accordingly.

Without further ado, let us launch into the review of the Sica and the Whetstone.

VPLLfyJ.png

SPARTANUS RODENTUS
The Sica is a short sword or a large dagger used in Ancient Rome, although its namesake was a tad
bit more lethal the Republic of Gamers Sica is still built quite sturdy. The Sica is ambidextrous and ergonomically isn't the most comfortable mouse I've used. There is a distinct lack of grooves to rest your fingers and as such you're left holding it awkwardly and while time will make you accustomed to the feel of this particular mouse in your hands.

THE PACKAGING

cQIw88Y.jpg

The Sica comes bundled in a standard box which has all the usual marketing gimmicks including the famous 5000DPI sensor. A sensitivity that high is seldom going to be used but it's good to know that you have the option in case you do feel so inclined. The flap opens and the mouse is on display. Visually the mouse is not very striking, the red accents try to alleviate that and somewhat succeed. The Sica is marketed as ambi-dexterous and the lack of any grooves to place your fingers on either side of the mouse makes it true. Now both right and left handed people can be uncomfortable while using the mouse.

ryzcbXi.jpg

In the aesthetic department the Sica looks decent, the Republic of Gamers logo lights up periodically and is subtle enough that it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A GAMURR". The red highlights to the side add a dash of colour to the otherwise grey mouse. The fabled "Mayan" inscription adorns the back of the mouse and serves no other purpose than aesthetic appeal.

VB088p8.jpg

The aesthetics of the mouse aren't bad per se but it's nothing new. The shell feels similar and the lack of comfort grooves make it a difficult mouse to stay comfortable on. The Republic of Gamers Logo does pulse so it does have that going for it which is nice.

1oSxS1a.jpg

The mouse is responsive and has no on the fly DPI switching. The same term has been rehashed but I feel the need to repeat it, Bare bones. An interesting feature included with the Sica is the ability to replace your mouse buttons. The standard ones can be replaced by any of the following switches: Omron D2F Series switches and the Omron D2FC Series switches which is interesting. However, it is still a feature that isn't present in other mice in its price range (probably for good reason).

Blades Need Sharpening?

WYnmOfH.png

It is perhaps one of the best mouse pads I've come across in a while. There are multiple features that make this pad stand out for me.

omLQ63x.jpg

The interesting pattern on the Whetstone is what sells this pad for me aesthetically anyway. It provides a surface that is similar to the Control Edition of Goliathus.

hL6pMQL.jpg

The Silicon base is a big plus and while it does act as a dust magnet it keeps the pad anchored at its spot. While the durability of the pad over time couldn't be put to test, the edges didn't seem to have any give unlike the QcK Mass whose cloth surface came peeling off after a couple of months of usage.

i2x8ZsK.jpg

Dimensions of the pad are as follows: 320 x 270 x 2mm since numbers can only do so much here's a picture with the Sica so that its relative size can be understood. The Whetstone is definitely a premium product and should compliment any mouse you choose to buy perfectly. News on price of the Whetstone is still up in the air but don't expect this to compete with the Goliathus with regards to pricing.

In Closing
There are a lot of things that could have been done better on the Sica, the uncomfortable grip, the lack of side buttons and considering the price and its competitors at that price range (G402, Death Adder) I find myself unable to recommend this mouse over its competitors.

Pros:
  • Ambidextrous: Most mice are marketed at right handed people, this "feature" is definitely a big plus.
  • Size: The relatively tiny size means carrying it around for LAN parties and such will be easy.
Cons:
  • Uncomfortable: Perhaps the downside of it being ambidextrous is the lack of grooves to rest your fingers. As a palm grip user this definitely was an issue.
  • Lack of side buttons: Considering other mice in the range come equipped with two side buttons the Sica sorely lacks behind in this aspect. The functionality offered by these side buttons are unparalleled especially in MOBAs.
  • DPI button: Admittedly changing the DPI setting is as simple as going into the ROG Armory and switching it up or down. Eliminating that entirely with a switch that changes DPI seems like a no brainer for me.
Overall, The Republic of Gamers Sica is a definite miss for me. There are better options at the same price and unless the appeal of owning an all ROG PC is that overwhelming I don't see this mouse making many waves.

The Whetstone on the other hand is an excellent product in its own right. Granted most of the time mousepads are just pieces of cloth but in this case it just feels so well executed that I have to give props to Asus. Having your desk adorned by this piece of equipment will definitely be an improvement. Tracking on the pad was great as was the durability of it (however limited the test might have been). Definitely a recommended product, however since no news of price is present at the moment and knowing ROG's penchant for "appropriately" pricing their products I'd advise waiting and watching.

As always, this review would be incomplete without offering thanks to Madhurima Khadilkar, the photographer for this particular review, she has a reputation for being quite a shutter bug go ahead and check out her Instagram here.

Last edited:
Back