Android Replace CWM with TWRP

zero_cool

Disciple
Hi all,

I recently installed a CM13 nightly build on a S3 (International version)

The problem is Gapps don't seem to work no matter what. Some of the forums have mentioned using TWRP instead of CWM to get it working however I'm not sure if it's a good idea to install TWRP over CMW.

Would appreciate any help / advice.

Thanks

Just find the latest twrp zip and flash it in CWM and reboot recovery. U now have twrp installed.

Also there's no harm in flashing twrp over Cwm also what error u get when u flash gapps ?

I think it's a better idea to flash the .img file via fastboot rather than installing a recovery via another.

AFAIK, There is no such thing called fastboot in Samsung Galaxy S3. You are probably using a Motorola Device. In S3, best way to install TWRP is to flash the zip from CWM. Otherwise, flash the .tar from odin PDA slot.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Just find the latest twrp zip and flash it in CWM and reboot recovery. U now have twrp installed.

Also there's no harm in flashing twrp over Cwm also what error u get when u flash gapps ?

After installing Gapps (pico, micro, stock etc.) I get pop-up messages that Google Play Store services have been stopped. There's no Google Play icon or any of the Google icons. I cannot install Play Store via an .apk either.

I think it's a better idea to flash the .img file via fastboot rather than installing a recovery via another.

I don't think I have the option to fastboot.

That does not makes difference, Both works fine.

You can also install Nandroid manager and install through it. Saves a lot of hassles.

I'll check out how this works. Never tried it before.

AFAIK, There is no such thing called fastboot in Samsung Galaxy S3. You are probably using a Motorola Device. In S3, best way to install TWRP is to flash the zip from CWM. Otherwise, flash the .tar from odin PDA slot.

You're right, there's no fastboost option. I'm planning to install it via Odin tonight.

The real issue I'm trying to solve here is to get Gapps working. Any suggestions on that?

The real issue I'm trying to solve here is to get Gapps working. Any suggestions on that?

Flash the appropriate version of GAPPS from the latest TWRP recovery. You can't install play store from and apk file, it will always give error.
Download GAPPS from here, http://opengapps.org/
Select Platform as ARM and Android as 6.0 for CM 13. Variant can be as per your choice. ( I guess you are already doing these, still mentioning it)

IF flashing in TWRP doesn't works use Cynogen recovery, but I feel TWRP shall work good.

UPDATE : I successfully installed the ROM on to my phone. It seems CWM really was the culprit.

I installed TWRP via Odin. GAPPS are working too however only Pico worked. Stock Gapps forced the phone into a bootloop.

Just to add, installation TWRP took a lot of time.

So far the ROM seems stable for a nightly build. I did face an issue while importing contacts in the first attempt via .Vcf file it was resolved when I tried it again.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Back