CPU/Mobo "Remove disks or other media" Cannot install OS :<

ashr

Skilled
Hi guys,

I just bought a new computer today but I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. There's a brand new SATA HDD inside and I've connected my old Benq DW1650 DVD drive. Both are getting recognized by the BIOS. However, pressing the eject button on the DVD drive does nothing. I forced it out and put my Vista bootable disc in, set the BIOS up to boot DVD first but still nothing happens. I get this shitty error saying "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart". So I press the any key :p and I get "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key". I'm not sure what I should do. I've checked the cables thoroughly. They're all fine. The Vista disc is being recognized by my laptop as well. I think there's a problem with the DVD drive tray, but if the BIOS is able to recognize the drive itself, I shouldn't technically have a problem reading the disc once I force it in right? Or am I wrong? Any suggestions?

It's really frustrating having a brand new spanking rig in front of me and not being able to use it. Thanks in advance for any help.

My rig is -

E6550

MSI P6NGM - Nvidia MCP73 Series Chipset Motherboard.

MSI 8800GT 512mb

2x1gb Transcend 800Mhz RAM

CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 500W

Probably the DVD drive is dead.. Also check the power connector to the dvd drive, a loose power connector could also cause problems..

Even loose IDE cables... it is clearly a case of the DVD drive not operating. I had a similar issue, was a case of a loose IDE cable. Maybe you want to swap the IDE cables, try some other ones.

Well I did try another CD rom drive and although both are getting recognized by the BIOS, I'm not able to run setup. Will try getting a drive from a friend.

Back