Reliance Thunder plan -good enough ?

akhilgopal

Lalithamaya Jeevitham B|
Disciple
Guys, I'm looking to change my Broadband plan to an Unlimited Plan.

Currently, I use two plans :
1. BSNL Combo Plan -600/month - 2mbps - 3gb - Night Unlimited(2-8am).
2. Asianet Broadband - 475/month - 4mbps - 6gb - Night Unlimited(2-8am).

Might be wondering why I'm using both. Well, we were using BSNL initially and took Asianet just to see if they really have speeds.But, ended up using both, as our daily usage kept increasing. But, Asianet is not totally trustful in the sense that they sometimes restrict the speed during the night time.

So, after discounts, I end up paying around 1000 fro Braodband. But, the problem is, nowadays, i find it difficult to download during 2-8am because of my tight routine. So, thought of going for a Unlimited Plan. All the BSNL plans here are of 512kbps Unlimited. I just cant manage with that speed, considering the size of my downloads.

Only good plan here is Reliance Thunder Plan, 1099 - 4mbps Unlimited. But, problem is , I have heard both +ve and -ve feedback's about the same. Some guys say, they have too much downtime. So, all Reliance customers are requested to enlighten me on the same.

Downtime is minimal, however service provided at each node is a different story. It depends on luck actually. I say go for it, use it for a couple of weeks and then decide.

I'm on the same 4Mbps plan, but I never get above 3.7Mbps (HTTP) and 3.1Mbps (torrents). However, you'll get full 4Mbps if you're on their MEN.

I am from Trivandrum and I am using Reliance BB as my secondary connection.

Quality of service suffers for this particular ISP within Trivandrum. The connection works fine until some issue crops up. Then you are left on your own. Field technicians have this habit of closing all complaints without visiting the premises.

Regarding 4Mbps speeds - they will have to alter the default speed profile for you from the 1024kbps value to 4096 or something above it. Only then you will get at least 3 to 3.5Mbps. Once again, you will have to make lot of heated exchanges of arguments with the concerned personnel in order to get the speed profile changed. The field technicians (at least the ones who visit my premises) do not have any notion about changing these parameters.

My advice - risk 600/- (installation charge) and take up the connection on trial basis. Wait for at least three months or so before you discard your old ISP.

Downtime is minimal, however service provided at each node is a different story. It depends on luck actually. I say go for it, use it for a couple of weeks and then decide.

I'm on the same 4Mbps plan, but I never get above 3.7Mbps (HTTP) and 3.1Mbps (torrents). However, you'll get full 4Mbps if you're on their MEN.

Speeds such as those are enough. Problem is I want connection to be working perfectly. Appreciate your help bro :) Thanks.

I am from Trivandrum and I am using Reliance BB as my secondary connection.

Quality of service suffers for this particular ISP within Trivandrum. The connection works fine until some issue crops up. Then you are left on your own. Field technicians have this habit of closing all complaints without visiting the premises.

Regarding 4Mbps speeds - they will have to alter the default speed profile for you from the 1024kbps value to 4096 or something above it. Only then you will get at least 3 to 3.5Mbps. Once again, you will have to make lot of heated exchanges of arguments with the concerned personnel in order to get the speed profile changed. The field technicians (at least the ones who visit my premises) do not have any notion about changing these parameters.

My advice - risk 600/- (installation charge) and take up the connection on trial basis. Wait for at least three months or so before you discard your old ISP.

Good to see another Trivy here. I'm new to the forum. THanks for your reply. I don't understand with the speed profile change thing. Will probably be doing as you said. But, the thing is I will be discarding the Asianet connection until then. Even then, BSNL+ Reliance makes it around 1600 a month. DOnt really know if my Dad's going to allow that.

Will Pm you soon :)

reliance 7th july 2013.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1373393410][/DOUBLEPOST]I recently got the Reliance Thunder 699 BB connection. The connection is pathetic! Not getting even 512Kbps bandwidth. My modem router shows the downlink speed as 1023kbps. Registered a complaint calling their toll free number 9 days before and still got no response. I live in Pettah, Tvpm. Any suggestion or helping hands? :-(

First of all your downstream speed is wrongly set as 1024 kbps. It should be 2048 kbps according to your plan.
To increase the downstream rate. Toll free cc wont work. They are clueless even on kbps and kBps. Complain to your area sales guy from whom you got the connection. If it doesn't work out call the nodal officer.
Reliance network is currently fckd up. High latency, packet loss and slow speed is common. They have been fooling customers since January by telling network infrastructure is in progress. Its been 7 months and i am yet too see proper 2 mbps speed during daytime on my 699 plan.
Good luck.

Ban this Bot. They never help anyone and will just post the same stuff. They have infested the IBF forum as well.
Also no one knows whether they are genuine or someone people wanting people to give them their name, email, address etc.

@Gannu @Renegade

On a related note, i have seen reliance BB having good plans as of now but service in most areas is pathetic. So it is risky proposition to go with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all your downstream speed is wrongly set as 1024 kbps. It should be 2048 kbps according to your plan.
To increase the downstream rate. Toll free cc wont work. They are clueless even on kbps and kBps. Complain to your area sales guy from whom you got the connection. If it doesn't work out call the nodal officer.
Reliance network is currently fckd up. High latency, packet loss and slow speed is common. They have been fooling customers since January by telling network infrastructure is in progress. Its been 7 months and i am yet too see proper 2 mbps speed during daytime on my 699 plan.
Good luck.

Thnx bro!
I got 2 calls recently inquiring whether i'm satisfied with their connection and i clearly made my point about the problem and they told me it'll be resolved very soon.

I called the person who gave the reliance broadnet connection now. He says he checked my issue and came to know that the speed is set to 1 Mbps for 699 thunder subscribers in our area. Then i asked why should i pay 800 rs for the 1 Mbps plan, and his answer was that the 1 Mbps subscribers will be getting only 500 kbps speed.
Then i said my friend residing nearby Pattom is getting 1 Mbps speed for the 545 thunder plan as mentioned. He said it is an issue with my locality(Pettah), since the up-gradation is in progress and will be completed in 2-3 weeks. (So i am supposed to pay 699+tax for another one month also?)
I don't know why i should pay 699+tax for the 545+tax plan.
Any recommendations for solving this issue friends?

He said it is an issue with my locality(Pettah), since the up-gradation is in progress and will be completed in 2-3 weeks.

I have been hearing the same since Jan 2012. Still facing numerous issues with my connection such as high number of errors in the downstream / upstream. Decided to switch to Tata Indicom 549 plan despite the 10GB FUP limitation. Those guys were enthusiastic about installing the wire to my house. I am yet to hear from the 'other team' who will come and set up my connection.

I have been hearing the same since Jan 2012. Still facing numerous issues with my connection such as high number of errors in the downstream / upstream. Decided to switch to Tata Indicom 549 plan despite the 10GB FUP limitation. Those guys were enthusiastic about installing the wire to my house. I am yet to hear from the 'other team' who will come and set up my connection.

Good luck with your new connection. Personally i am fed up with the FUP unlimited plans. That is why i've switched to the Thunder 699 plan. Regretting the decision now. Previously i've been on Bsnl Combo 1350 UL.

Reliance is busy setting up a thick orange wiring in and around my area (Bakery Junction). Someone might have asked for a leased line or perhaps that is the MEN wiring. Not sure what it is. But every time they start working on it, the existing ADSL wiring (to my house) starts going bizarre. The loop length (listed in the modem) keeps on varying between 600 to 1800 meters. Maybe 'the network upgradation' statement from your contact has some legs.. only time will tell.

I have been using RCOM broadband for the past 12 months.The total downtime during this period is close to 4 months.Now my broadband is down and customer service doesnt exist in Trivandrum...

Its the best plan you can get,but let down by horrible service..

True. My Reliance BB was down the entire day yesterday. Today they seem to have fixed it. But this is the present status of the connection

Reliance BB.PNG

The exchange is just a stone's throw from my premises. Yet, the incoming / outgoing line is riddled with errors. The technicians do not understand this concept of errors. Even today, while explaining to them about the errors, they were just standing there with a blank face. Also notice the downstream sync rate has been set at 1 mbps. This gives me an effective speed of 512 to 768 kbps at all the times (i.e. when the connection works). Once again, I tried to explain this particular aspect, only to be met with blank faces.

True. My Reliance BB was down the entire day yesterday. Today they seem to have fixed it. But this is the present status of the connection

View attachment 25311

The exchange is just a stone's throw from my premises. Yet, the incoming / outgoing line is riddled with errors. The technicians do not understand this concept of errors. Even today, while explaining to them about the errors, they were just standing there with a blank face. Also notice the downstream sync rate has been set at 1 mbps. This gives me an effective speed of 512 to 768 kbps at all the times (i.e. when the connection works). Once again, I tried to explain this particular aspect, only to be met with blank faces.
They are cheating us. We have to find some way to stop this fraudulent behavior! Hope we can find a way to rectify this issue.

Hello everyone!!

instead of creating a new thread, thought of posting in this thread itself.

i happened to check the 'thunder' plans on reliance's website. seem lucrative. then headed over to broadbandforum, and got to see the mixed feedback. although most write that they are more-or-less satisfied with the broadband, there are many who are facing issues, mostly, service-related.

i stay at Thane, and wanted to know from any Thane users of a reliance thunder plan about the service. i have been an MTNL customer since years, and am currently on their DSL UNLTD 1333 plan.

Last edited:
My Reliance BB was down the entire day yesterday. Today they seem to have fixed it. But this is the present status of the connection

I mailed the appellate authority rcomappellateauthority.kerala@relianceada.com about the problem. Waiting for a response.[DOUBLEPOST=1375978400][/DOUBLEPOST]

Take up Reliance at your own risk.
Since Feb/Mar 2013, the reliance connectivity has gone to the dogs in Pune.
Kiran, I faced the exact same issue about slow speed. They sent same reply that no waiver can be given.
So I asked them to disconnect.

They waived off two months billing to appease me and "retain the customer". My bad that I agreed. By the time it was Jun/Jul the internet completely stopped working (intermittently). There must've been 10-20 emails and 5-10 phone complaints logged. No action by Reliance.
I asked for write off for these months. No action.
I logged a complaint with Department of Telecom.
These buggers (Reliance) had the balls to respond by saying that they have already given me a two months waiver and hence no further action can be taken. (Imagine their lies - the two month waiver was for Feb/Mar/Apr period!, not for Jun/Jul)
Anyway I decided to simple ignore all bills and communications from Reliance. I have also not returned any of their hardware. Let them initiate legal proceedings ...

Back