CPU/Mobo Red Light on motherboard before booting

Rohan99

Disciple
So in my New build i used MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Every time when i start it up, the Red Light on the Mobo lights up for about 5 seconds before booting.

The lights are CPU, GPU & Boot in the mentioned order.

My System boots just fine and runs good to. The manual states that the light indicates faulty hardware.

Should i be concerned since on googling the light every tread is about system not starting on seeing the red light, but that is not the case for me as the system boots properly with no error messages or anything.

Last edited:
Can you check if any USB peripherals are connected to the BIOS Flashback USB port.
upload_2018-12-23_21-44-53.png

And as for the light I checked the manual and its CPU,RAM,GPU and then boot drive
upload_2018-12-23_21-45-53.png

Can you check if any USB peripherals are connected to the BIOS Flashback USB port.
View attachment 78110

And as for the light I checked the manual and its CPU,RAM,GPU and then boot drive
View attachment 78111

Connected a USB Mouse & USB Keyboard in the USB 2.0 port. Specifically the mouse is connected in mentioned port

As for the lights, the light is mentioned CPU, GPU & Boot lights up, don't remember seeing the RAM light blink

Did that. The Red Light still blinks, but i think it is the motherboard posting, now the Lights blink less.
I think you're okay now. Even in my Asus Crosshair VI Hero the Q-LED will throw a bunch of diagnostic codes for 3-4 secs before the PC boots up i.e. the display starts receiving signal.

This question will be hard to answer for people with different Motherboard. Different Motherboards behave differently. Since I have that motherboard I'll try to clarify a few things.

3 blinks of the Red LED near the BIOS FLASHBACK+ button is normal.

Debug LEDs are there to troubleshoot Boot problems due to hardware failure or missing hardware. If your system boots normally then ignore them. My previous Motherboard Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 also used to cycle between different Post Codes before booting. This motherboard does not have Post code so Debug LEDs simulate the same behavior.

My Mouse is also connected to the BIOS FLASHBACK+ USB Port. It does not make any difference even if I leave that Port alone and connect the Mouse to a different Port. This slow POST could be related to earlier BIOS version. Update the BIOS to latest version and check.

This question will be hard to answer for people with different Motherboard. Different Motherboards behave differently. Since I have that motherboard I'll try to clarify a few things.

3 blinks of the Red LED near the BIOS FLASHBACK+ button is normal.

Debug LEDs are there to troubleshoot Boot problems due to hardware failure or missing hardware. If your system boots normally then ignore them. My previous Motherboard Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 also used to cycle between different Post Codes before booting. This motherboard does not have Post code so Debug LEDs simulate the same behavior.

My Mouse is also connected to the BIOS FLASHBACK+ USB Port. It does not make any difference even if I leave that Port alone and connect the Mouse to a different Port. This slow POST could be related to earlier BIOS version. Update the BIOS to latest version and check.

I first removed the mouse from the flashback port, the blinks reduced to 15 sec.

I reconnected them to the flashback port the blink is still at 15 Secs.

This is how it is
CPU Light will stay on for 3 seconds
No Light for 3 Seconds (My RAM RGB will Light up)
GPU Light for 9 Seconds
After this PC will boot in 2 Seconds.

So the Flashback port didn't seem to have anything to do with it.

The BIOS i'm using is V1.10, it's mentioned in MSI Command Center. Unsure how to do a bios flashback

Last edited:
I'm ok with the boot time, I'm concerned about the blinking and possible harmful implications it can have on my components
Thats what we are talking about reducing boot times. As I said earlier and even vishal, it is better to enable test skipping while booting. These tests are only useful while troubleshooting purpose if anything wrong with your mobo, proccy or ram.

Try that enabling it.
My cousins had an amd setup and its mobo lights used to give him nightmares.
They were exactly like yours, but sometimes used to freeze on a blank screen or slow the booting process.
That setting helped him overcome that issue.
It may not guaranteed work in your case but no harm in trying as well as it is a SAFE setting and your bios settings wont get screwed up.

I first removed the mouse from the flashback port, the blinks reduced to 15 sec.

I reconnected them to the flashback port the blink is still at 15 Secs.

This is how it is
CPU Light will stay on for 3 seconds
No Light for 3 Seconds (My RAM RGB will Light up)
GPU Light for 9 Seconds
After this PC will boot in 2 Seconds.

So the Flashback port didn't seem to have anything to do with it.

The BIOS i'm using is V1.10, it's mentioned in MSI Command Center. Unsure how to do a bios flashback
15 Sec POST time is normal. Ryzen is slow to POST. In your other thread you said 20 seconds that is why I said the POST time is long.
The behavior you described is also normal with this Motherboard and not related to any hardware defects.
Yes, the BIOS FLASHBACK+ Port should not make any difference.
BIOS update instructions are provided in the Manual. You can use the M-FLASH method. Do not updated BIOS from the windows utility.

Thats what we are talking about reducing boot times. As I said earlier and even vishal, it is better to enable test skipping while booting. These tests are only useful while troubleshooting purpose if anything wrong with your mobo, proccy or ram.

Try that enabling it.
My cousins had an amd setup and its mobo lights used to give him nightmares.
They were exactly like yours, but sometimes used to freeze on a blank screen or slow the booting process.
That setting helped him overcome that issue.
It may not guaranteed work in your case but no harm in trying as well as it is a SAFE setting and your bios settings wont get screwed up.

Could not find any such option

15 Sec POST time is normal. Ryzen is slow to POST. In your other thread you said 20 seconds that is why I said the POST time is long.
The behavior you described is also normal with this Motherboard and not related to any hardware defects.
Yes, the BIOS FLASHBACK+ Port should not make any difference.
BIOS update instructions are provided in the Manual. You can use the M-FLASH method. Do not updated BIOS from the windows utility.

It's the GPU light that stays on the longest.

It's the GPU light that stays on the longest.
Yes, the VGA light stays on the longest and last to go off and this is normal. The abnormal behavior is if the light stays on and does not go off, in that case it indicates faulty hardware or hardware not connected and the Computer won't boot.

Last edited:
Back