Recommend me an Air Conditioner

It's the same concept as that of the efficiency of PSUs in PCs. AC compressors are more efficient at less loads. If one is hell bent on trying to see a reduction in electricity bills then buying a 2T non-inverter (if available relatively cheaper than inverter of lower capacity), is a much better option IMO.

I have updated the OP. I did some calculations, for me 3 star also seems okay:

Voltas 1.5 Ton 5 Star 185 CY - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/voltas-15-ton-5-star/754375241
Voltas 1.5 Ton 3 Star 183 CY - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/voltas-15-ton-3-star/229606840

Difference between them is 7000rs.

Lets say my usage is daily 10 hours for 4 months an year.

3 star, 1555W:

per day: 15.55 units
per year: 1866 units (10 hours per day for 4 months)

5 star:

1424W:

per day: 14.24 units
per year: 1708 units (10 hours per day for 4 months)

so difference each year is 158 units

for 6rs per unit, you will save 948rs per year.

----

Some rough calculations on inverter also:

Okay I am doing calculations around inverter and std ACs (5 star)

I need 1.5ton Ac, so let's assume it's of 1500W making 1.5unit per hour. The initial difference is 10-12K for inverter and non inverter. And I am gonna run the Ac only for 4 months. Max 10 hours/day. Usually it's said that inervters save 30% of std ones.

Std Ac:

1.5 unit/hour
i.e. 450 units per month (each day 10 hours)

For 4 months = 1800 units

Inverter Ac:

Let's assume it saves only 20%

For 4 months = 80% of 1.8k = 1440 units

The difference is 360 units.

At 6rs unit I will save roughly 2k per year.

So it will take me 5 years to get the inverter AC extra charges back and reap the benefits.

Now let's assume, for the sake of it, that I am gonna use for 15 hours day

Std ac:

1.5 unit/hour
i.e. 675 units per month (each day 15 hours)

For 4 months = 2700

For inverter

For 4 Months = 2160

So difference is 540 units

At 6rs unit I will save roughly 3k per year.

So it will take 3 years to reap the benefits of AC

Is my understanding, calculations are correct? Am I wrong anywhere?

And also recommended that not to buy larger capacity than required if buying non-inverter AC cos bills will be higher.
yes, the bills may slightly be on the higher side but theoretically, they shouldn't be. i haven't conducted any tests, so i can't give you any real life figures.

a bigger capacity AC will definitely draw more current, at least while starting up. but the task at hand will be same for both the ACs (larger and smaller) - to cool a room with specific volume. a larger AC will cool it may be 10 mins earlier than the smaller one, and then shut off. smaller AC will keep on using the power, albeit little less than the larger one.

also, a compressor working at it's peak capacity draws more current and may fail sooner. this is the case with smaller capacity ACs. but it's all theoretical thinking. if you are considering split AC, then the larger capacity AC will have larger ODU - which is an advantage.

only the people who have replaced their smaller capacity AC with a larger one in the same room can comment on this theory.

edit - just go for a normal 3* or a 4* a/c .. dont bother with all these calculations n stuff. its a a/c your not going to keep it for 5 yrs.. any brand u get will be done with in 3 yrs max now unless ur somewhere other then bombay... the salty winds kill anything here.

yes, the bills may slightly be on the higher side but theoretically, they shouldn't be. i haven't conducted any tests, so i can't give you any real life figures.

a bigger capacity AC will definitely draw more current, at least while starting up. but the task at hand will be same for both the ACs (larger and smaller) - to cool a room with specific volume. a larger AC will cool it may be 10 mins earlier than the smaller one, and then shut off. smaller AC will keep on using the power, albeit little less than the larger one.

also, a compressor working at it's peak capacity draws more current and may fail sooner. this is the case with smaller capacity ACs. but it's all theoretical thinking. if you are considering split AC, then the larger capacity AC will have larger ODU - which is an advantage.

only the people who have replaced their smaller capacity AC with a larger one in the same room can comment on this theory.
Yup, I am going for split only.

@Superbad recommended me that not to go for extra capacity AC

edit - just go for a normal 3* or a 4* a/c .. dont bother with all these calculations n stuff. its a a/c your not going to keep it for 5 yrs.. any brand u get will be done with in 3 yrs max now unless ur somewhere other then bombay... the salty winds kill anything here.
Not in Bombay. Btw I checked Daikin. Only authorized dealers are available but not official service center.

Your tonnage depends on a no of things firstly the size of your room, the ventilation which is there at the condenser end and finally which direction the condenser unit is installed in , this is because generally if you install in the south or west the Ac has to deal with direct sunlight. Generally u can make your own calculation with about a ton for 125 sft for effective cooling to take place, of course if the above is true in ur case you would have to slightly increase capacity

Your tonnage depends on a no of things firstly the size of your room, the ventilation which is there at the condenser end and finally which direction the condenser unit is installed in , this is because generally if you install in the south or west the Ac has to deal with direct sunlight. Generally u can make your own calculation with about a ton for 125 sft for effective cooling to take place, of course if the above is true in ur case you would have to slightly increase capacity
hey

- size of room I have given in OP
- AC won't be used in daytime, so issue about installation direction/place

check OP please, I have given all info :)

For your dimension of room area works out to be nearly 241 Sq ft. You should be good with 2 Ton capacity I guess. Also with your usage, you can easily get away with 3* AC.

Back