Raspberry Pi - Discussion Thread

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Since most folks have Pi now we can have a discussion here currently I'm use Archlinux Arm on Model B

So, recent reviews do not recommend running computing and entertainment packages together on pi. What packages are members running on pi, smooth performance ?

Is there any advantage running xbmc over media servers like mediatomb ?

Raspberry Pi is good for power saving but actually not cheap at all.
Its not a total package.
We have to buy extra things like SD card and HDD which makes Raspberry Pi costlier.

Raspberry Pi is good for power saving but actually not cheap at all.
Its not a total package.
We have to buy extra things like SD card and HDD which makes Raspberry Pi costlier.
Depends what you use it for ;)

http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/using-a-raspberry-pi-with-android-phones-for-media-streaming/

A music system with your music stored on a server and played through your Hi-Fi via the Raspberry Pi, all controlled by multiple, synchronised Android phones/tablets.

Try doing that without a Pi and see what the cost will be.

^ You can do this with any headless system which are cheaper to Pi.
Can you name some headless systems that can do this for cheaper.

Trying to figure out how cheap i can get a openhome/upnp/dlna renderer for wireless audio that can be controlled by a wireless android device.

Android on a stick ? thats Rs.4-5k with wifi but no audio so needs a converter.

raspberry pi is $50 or half that price but has no wifi but comes with a 3.5mm audio out.

This is the probable setup i'm looking at.

file store/PC/NAS---->wifi router )))))) headless renderer---->audio device

android device (control) ))))) wifi router ))))) headless renderer

The RK3066 has a 3.5mm audio out plus wifi. This could be the best option for $55.

usb power adapter<---RK3066<---3.5mm<----audio system

Thing is the GHz CPU in that stick just to run android is a waste to ouput audio and do wifi. Maybe embedded archlinux devices will be better.

You can also get it working with PogoPlug way cheaper but it would require some tinkering around for audio but it works.

Will have to be a pogo that has more than 1 usb port otherwise a hub is required. Series 4 has more ports but that will cost more.

You need two usb ports, one for a wifi dongle and the other dongle to convert usb to audio. If pogo could output audio by itself this would be a strong competitor.

But this is the kind of device that is interesting, no need for a GUI just cmd line is good enough.

i too have a couple of home automation ideas for Pi but want to start with NAS. do you really think Pi can handle HD media streaming and occasional VPN and torrenting? i want to build by own NAS but not sure where to look for. should i rummage through nehru place market (delhi)?

next, i'll try automating water supply at my home. Pi is little costlier for this setup but i am more comfortable in fiddling with software than coming up with a totally sensor based hardware solution.

Back