Graphic Cards R9 380x, something Nvidia should worry about?

Will the R9 380X help AMD improve their position in the PC market?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

SamDaMan

Disciple
So from what i gather the R9 380X falls between the 960 and 970, in terms of both price and performance.
Its better than the 2GB 960's and cheaper than the 4GB 960's

It's going to reach India mid december at 20k INR MRP, which means it should be in a very strong position given its reasonable pricing and great 1080p performance.

what do you guys think?

This will probably be priced around 23-24k since AMD prices in India have been on the higher side for the last few years, the 380 4GB still retails for 21k iirc.
960 @15.5k is still the go to card for 1080p in India although it's 10% slower than the 380x.

Amd drivers, support and optmisation used to be the best at one time but now There are a lot of optimisation issues for recent games for AMD cards, Even in fallout 4 I had an issue where my 2nd card was idle while the first card was struggling because of the bandwidth split.

I agree AMD has a lot of catching up to do, but this is a positive sign. Plus I think they just launched their new Radeon Settings, a Geforce Experience counterpart with the promise of more regular driver updates; so it seems they are serious about getting back into the game.

the new crimson drivers seem to have been extremely well received. performance improvements across all gcn gpus.

Hopefully AMD's new generation of cards aren't too far behind Nvidia's pascal in terms of performance and the timeframe of release. Right now Nvidia owns the majority of the market.. pretty much.

970 is just an entry level car for new gamers.
A minimum suggestion is 970TI or above. R9 is at par with 970 so I dont think there is anything for Nvidia to worry about as they have alot of other option available for the customer, be it a entry level gamer or a professional.

A minimum suggestion is 970TI or above. R9 is at par with 970 so I dont think there is anything for Nvidia to worry about as they have alot of other option available for the customer, be it a entry level gamer or a professional.

I don't know what you're smoking, but the world definitely needs more of it.

The 960 is probably the most accurate entry level card as it is meant for all round gaming, as opposed to the 950 which is targetted at moba players and cafes for mobas.

The 970 is probably the most bang for buck performance card for those looking for great 1080p performance and given its price point, tis anything but entry level.

And what exactly is a 970 ti? Seriously please tell us what are you smoking? Seems like something exotic.

Coming back on topic, 960Ti rumors doing the rounds since yesterday. Not sure if it'll materialize but I always felt Nvidia could've had a product between the 960 and 970, the spec difference on those chips is too damn wide.

the new crimson drivers seem to have been extremely well received. performance improvements across all gcn gpus.

I tried it on a system of mine running a 5670 and all it does is installs that raper gaming evolved application, and i thought it was a display driver.

5670 isn't gcn unfortunately.
my install seems to be working fine so far but it's been only 2 days.

Coming back on topic, 960Ti rumors doing the rounds since yesterday. Not sure if it'll materialize but I always felt Nvidia could've had a product between the 960 and 970, the spec difference on those chips is too damn wide.
yes, the rumours are coming from sources that have been correct in the past so, good chance they won't let the 380x go unanswered.
the beauty of the 960ti is that the gtx 960 is a full gm204 die and the 950 is the cut-down chip from it.
it looks like the 960ti might be a further cut-down of the gtx 970 (which is a cut-down of the 980) possibly with a 192-bit bus.
this at ~$250 might become an excellent vfm gpu.
in other news, amd and nvidia have cut gpu prices across the board!
let's hope the price drops makes its way here. fingers crossed.

If I had the money/need the performance then yeah I would consider the R9 380 4GB.
But the drivers...
And I'm not a fanboy of either group involved but I pick price/performance (and the drivers) over other areas anyday.
For 1080p (which many of us here are made up of) I guess my vote would go to the GTX950/GTX960. :D

I'm not so sure about that
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra..._bugged_new_drivers_killed_my_gpu_and_others/
Reading the comments which users there faced I wouldn't say "extremely well received".
It may not affect everyone but is still scary for people who aren't aware of the problems or just have ill luck with the update. AMD seems to not have issued any official word yet (edit: but they have given a temporary fix).

Last edited:
Well I think it is best to defer updates for everything you use from OS to software drivers. I let the people do the testing of the updates and once it is stable then I install it.

A 960ti would fit nicely between a 960 and a 970 however is there enough room between OC 960 pricing and standard 970 pricing? Im not too great with keeping track of latest prices.

Back