Question about Opera VPN for mobile and using personal hotspots

letmein

Skilled
Quick and possibly stupid question... if I use Opera VPN for iOS, and use my phone's data in my laptop by using the Personal Hotpsot, can anyone track my browsing/ internet activities?

Not really. VPN configuration on iOS happens at a system (OS) level. What this means is that all networking activity goes through the VPN; in contrast to what some browsers offer on desktop wherein the VPN is only available within the browser's session. If you require a free stable VPN on your desktop too, checkout Opera which has now integrated the same service in their browsers as well.
However, all of this is subject to Opera's Privacy Policy and whether or not they collect information of the initial connection (your device's IP to their VPN server) and log it for long durations (months?).
So I'm guessing nimod is joking in his response above (if not, I'ld like to know why he thinks so).

Opera can and does track the data, and logs it as well. They use this for advertisements, or something of the sort.

If you need a VPN for this, consider getting a third party subscription from VPN vendors who do not log the data, and you can get the service for as low as 20 USD yearly. I believe some offer is being run on humblebundle.com

I agree with Vivek. A paid VPN is always preferred over any free offerings. There's also TunnelBear.

I wouldn't suggest using tor, it is slow also the traffic you send will be unencrypted from the exit node to the website you want to visit so if you were sending any personal information using HTTP it can still be traced back to you. I would suggest going for a paid VPN, if not you can try Windscribe VPN.

Quick and possibly stupid question... if I use Opera VPN for iOS, and use my phone's data in my laptop by using the Personal Hotpsot, can anyone track my browsing/ internet activities?
Opera is sold to some chinese company now and it definitely tracks users data. Thats how its been able to provide free VPN.

I'd suggest a private VPN like PrivateInternetAccess or Tunnelbear. I personally use PrivateInternetAccess which goes for 30$ yearly which I share with my friend so that its just 15$ yearly

Opera is sold to some chinese company now and it definitely tracks users data. Thats how its been able to provide free VPN.

I'd suggest a private VPN like PrivateInternetAccess or Tunnelbear. I personally use PrivateInternetAccess which goes for 30$ yearly which I share with my friend so that its just 15$ yearly

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I believe it was bought out by the company that makes the 360 antivirus.

Thanks!
I have never used a paid VPN service. Tried a few android apps & ZenMate for the rainfall sites.
Couple of doubts:
[1] Do they have Indian servers? I heard some net banking sites won't open if the IP is from outside India. Esp., for banking probably it may be better to have VPN with Indian servers.
[2] If we use an IP from outside India, the bank's system may not realize that there is a breach if there is a hack. Can this be a problem in raising a claim?

Last edited:
^ If you are using a banking site, I would not trust any VPN service at all, even the best ones - I dont see any good reason, unless your internet connection is an open wifi in which case, you should not be doing anything important like banking. Going, by the same logic, we should not trust any Airtel connections, since they MITM your connection.

Thanks!
I have never used a paid VPN service. Tried a few android apps & ZenMate for the rainfall sites.
Couple of doubts:
[1] Do they have Indian servers? I heard some net banking sites won't open if the IP is from outside India. Esp., for banking probably it may be better to have VPN with Indian servers.
[2] If we use an IP from outside India, the bank's system may not realize that there is a breach if there is a hack. Can this be a problem in raising a claim?
Privateinternetaccess do have indian servers but as vivek said, never trust any VPNs for banking related stuff.

opera is done now. their site says it's being acquired by surf easy i think. not sure if they're gonna keep that free model after that because if they won't, users will have to look for alternatives. there are plenty of them on android with ivacy lite, hola, zenmate and hss being just a few examples but i think i'm gonna miss olaf the viking.

Back