Queries related to passport

guys at gurgaon/ delhi? how easy is it to get a passport ? what all docs needed ? my aadhar shud arrive in 1-2 weeks and i have non rented self home, DL, Voter id,ration card and neighbours who will vouch for me. what else needed ? planning a trip to singapore this year so wanna get a passport

guys at gurgaon/ delhi? how easy is it to get a passport ? what all docs needed ? my aadhar shud arrive in 1-2 weeks and i have non rented self home, DL, Voter id,ration card and neighbours who will vouch for me. what else needed ? planning a trip to singapore this year so wanna get a passport

You will need your birth certificate issued by MCD etc. Your 10th standard school certificate will not work ... when I had to get my passport issued, they sent me back since I didn't have my birth certificate back then, but instead, only the 10th standard school certificate (which they refused to accept as a replacement for the birth certificate). Not sure if that has changed ever since.

You will need your birth certificate issued by MCD etc. Your 10th standard school certificate will not work ... when I had to get my passport issued, they sent me back since I didn't have my birth certificate back then, but instead, only the 10th standard school certificate (which they refused to accept as a replacement for the birth certificate). Not sure if that has changed ever since.
IM NOT SURE IF MY PARENTS STILL HAVE MY BIRTH CERTI. WHAT TO DO IF I DONT HAVE IT?

IM NOT SURE IF MY PARENTS STILL HAVE MY BIRTH CERTI. WHAT TO DO IF I DONT HAVE IT?
As far as I know, there is no alternative for that. You will have to get it. Get a duplicate copy of the birth certificate if you no longer have the original one. If you dont have a birth certificate altogether, you'll need to get it issued. They are even fussy about any errors within your or your parents' name within the birth certificate. So if there are any spelling mistakes within it, you will need to get it rectified.

As far as I know, there is no alternative for that. You will have to get it. Get a duplicate copy of the birth certificate if you no longer have the original one. If you dont have a birth certificate altogether, you'll need to get it issued. They are even fussy about any errors within your or your parents' name within the birth certificate. So if there are any spelling mistakes within it, you will need to get it rectified.
will i even get a duplicate birth certi. i was born 26 years ago, will they keep my records still ?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if your DOB is on or after 26-01-1989, only birth certificate is accepted. If your DOB is prior to that, then SSC certificate or affidavit is also accepted.

http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/ProofofDOB.pdf

^^ If your DOB is after that date and you don't have or can't manage to get a birth certificate from municipal office, you pretty much can't get a passport. The rules on pretty strict and straight forward.

From what I have read, you can go to municipal office and give an application for your birth certificate. if the records are present, they will provide you one. If they don't have the records, you need to get a letter from them stating that that the records are not available. Then you have to approach a lawyer with that letter to file a petition in court in order to get a court order issued asking the municipal office to issue a birth certificate based on some other proof of birth. Then you can apply for passport using that.

I suggest getting in touch with PSK and/or lawyer in case you cannot manage to get a birth certificate and follow the necessary process.

Last edited:
^^ If your DOB is after that date and you don't have or can't manage to get a birth certificate from municipal office, you pretty much can't get a passport. The rules on pretty strict and straight forward.

From what I have read, you can go to municipal office and give an application for your birth certificate. if the records are present, they will provide you one. If they don't have the records, you need to get a letter from them stating that that the records are not available. Then you have to approach a lawyer with that letter to file a petition in court in order to get a court order issued asking the municipal office to issue a birth certificate based on some other proof of birth. Then you can apply for passport using that.

I suggest getting in touch with PSK and/or lawyer in case you cannot manage to get a birth certificate and follow the necessary process.
what if i submit a fake birth certi and rest documents real one that already have. ur procedure seems like a big hassle and time consuming. its just to verify it by seeing it right ?

The documents are scanned for record keeping and verified, if not immediately, at a later point of time.

Passport fraud is a very serious offense. Apart from the punishments and penalties applicable under Indian Passport Act, submitting fake documents could result in other IPC sections like 467 being invoked. You can end up in jail for up to 10 years and you can also say good bye to your job and to any prospects of getting a job in future.

I suggest getting rid of any such bright ideas out of your mind if you wish to lead a normal life.

I just got my son's (4.5 years old) passport renewal done at Mumbai. I got SMS that it is granted on Post Police Verification Basis.
Now I know this means that police verification will be done after issuance of passport.

My problem is that my wife is currently not living in my home address as she is at my in laws (in Mumbai itself) to take care of new baby (1 month old).

When can I expect police to come home and since they won't find her there, can we then go to the police station for verification? Does the police Come home or they send letter or something to call to police station for verification?

Edit: The status in mPassport app says this..

Police Verification has been initiated on Post PV basis to Borivali Police Station, Mumbai and action for passport printing is initiated, to be followed by lamination, signing, quality check and dispatch.

Last edited:
I just got my son's (4.5 years old) passport renewal done at Mumbai. I got SMS that it is granted on Post Police Verification Basis.
Now I know this means that police verification will be done after issuance of passport.

My problem is that my wife is currently not living in my home address as she is at my in laws (in Mumbai itself) to take care of new baby (1 month old).

When can I expect police to come home and since they won't find her there, can we then go to the police station for verification? Does the police Come home or they send letter or something to call to police station for verification?

Edit: The status in mPassport app says this..

Police Verification has been initiated on Post PV basis to Borivali Police Station, Mumbai and action for passport printing is initiated, to be followed by lamination, signing, quality check and dispatch.
Police guy won't call you before hand. He literally comes to check if you're living in the place you mentioned in the documents. And he may ask your neighbors also to confirm that. You can go to police station, explain your predicament and since its due to baby boy, I'm sure the police will help you.

Just for reference, few years back when the guy came for verification, I was in a office with no signal. when I came out, I had like 5 missed calls. Called back and it was police guy. I explained him my situation and he said no problem, tomorrow I'll come, be in home. Next day I was in home, the guy came, collected his bribe and gave his green signal

Police guy won't call you before hand. He literally comes to check if you're living in the place you mentioned in the documents. And he may ask your neighbors also to confirm that. You can go to police station, explain your predicament and since its due to baby boy, I'm sure the police will help you.

Just for reference, few years back when the guy came for verification, I was in a office with no signal. when I came out, I had like 5 missed calls. Called back and it was police guy. I explained him my situation and he said no problem, tomorrow I'll come, be in home. Next day I was in home, the guy came, collected his bribe and gave his green signal
I see that there is an option on Mumbai Police website to give file number to see status for verification. Will it help if I keep checking status and if it comes to something which says like it is now under the local police station, then can I or someone from my home (I am going back to US in less than 2 weeks) proactively and tell them the situation?

iirc the status on your mPassport means passport printing is already done before police verification. I think maybe you applied for tatkal passport?

You'll get your passport without any problem even before police verification. So if you want to check this out of the list, why not just go to police station and confirm?

iirc the status on your mPassport means passport printing is already done before police verification. I think maybe you applied for tatkal passport?

You'll get your passport without any problem even before police verification. So if you want to check this out of the list, why not just go to police station and confirm?

Yes, passport will be received before verification as it is "Post Police Verification" which means it is done "after" passport dispatch. It is not Tatkal. It was just reissue for minor and I didn't even expect police verification but I guess since I didn't go with the mother of child to PSK, they initiated verification (the 'C' granter told that mother's coming is more important than father). I also got SMS just now that police verification with my local thana is initiated and if not done within 3 weeks, it tells to contact that Thana. S0 we are just gonna tell the police all truth that my home in Borivali is permanent address but currently due to delivery and such, she is staying at her mother's for couple of months. Hopefully they will not do much natak. Lets see how it goes.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure everything related to police verification was done fine ? It was "Post" type so police verification was done AFTER passport was delivered and I went to the passport office with my kid where his thumb print and pic was taken.
Not to sound corny but I am concerned because I DID NOT pay any bribe. Something I assumed I will have to pay.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure everything related to police verification was done fine ? It was "Post" type so police verification was done AFTER passport was delivered and I went to the passport office with my kid where his thumb print and pic was taken.
Not to sound corny but I am concerned because I DID NOT pay any bribe. Something I assumed I will have to pay.
Not all cops will ask for a bribe. If you walked in physically and all was good then your formalities are completed white collared successfully.

Lol. No, nowdays for this no cop asks for bribe if all docs are okay.

bribe taking has largely been reduced. I mean they'll not say no if you offer them 200~500rs but they don't ask outright. This was my friend and my experience 5 years abck

Ok so now I can confirm that verification is done. I just got text from PSK that "Police has submitted clear report for your current address".

Back