Queries related to passport

to confirm, what all documents do I need to take with me when visiting psk after applying online, other than the proofs?
The appointment form with date/time and the other one where you have to put a photo?

I have been through the process over last week, So here are the details.

If its a re-issue, you need proof of address and proof for any other detail in the old passport that may have changed. Both originals as well as self attested copy. If you are married, you will need to carry the original marriage certificate as well. If you did't have ECNR stamping earlier, you will also need 10th standard certificate. A copy of the first 4 and last 2 pages of passport and the old passport itself.

Original documents will be verified at 3 places in the PSK. Once you are done, you will be given a printed application receipt before you leave . It will contain the mode of police verification. if your address and other details haven't changed from old passport, there will no be police verification. If address has changed, police verification will be done on post verification basis. i.e. your passport will be dispatched independently without waiting for the police verification.

For police verification, you need to be available at the address and the PVO will ask for address proof and identity proof (even company id card copy is fine) and he will take the signatures of the two people you mentioned as references.

Here is my total timeline so far. I applied through the Normal category only as Tatkal is no longer necessary for quick processing.

Applied on 14th March and booked appointment for 19th. Passport went for printing on 20th. PVO came for verification on 23rd and the report was filed by 24th. My Passport has been dispatched by speed post on 26th (today).

And yeah, PVO did not ask for any tip or bribe.

I got another query people, if you guys can help.

There was a change in address so I applied for the reissue of the passport.
Now, I got a call from the police station of my present location for the verification and stuff. I also got a TEXT msg on my cell from someone saying that verification is pending and to contact him, he's from the police station of my old city. Is the verification from the old address normal? Which means I need to visit both the police central?

There a problem.
I got the SMS saying that "Police has submitted Adverse report for present address".

The passport is for re-issue with the change in address.
I had to submit the document to the police stations from the present address location as well as the last address location. There was a delay of about 3 days between the submission of the documents to both the stations. 1 asked for bribe and the other didnt. The one that didn't has submitted the adverse report. The online tracking system is showing "Police Verification Report is not clear and application is under review at Regional Passport Office."

Is there something I need to do? Some people have said that they got the same message and it got updated in like 2 weeks by itself.

Thanks

Can it be done over the phone? The 1800 number is all IVR I think.
Also, do I need to make an appointment first like I did while visiting before with the documents?
Thanks!

Hi, applying for tatkal passport.

Queries -

1) It requires Annexure I for tatkal which has following clause
AFFIDAVIT (To be executed on appropriate non-judicial stamp paper of minimum value and attested by Executive Magistrate or Notary Public)

So making an affidavit on Rs 100 stamp and signed by notary is ok ?

2) What about police verification ? Will it be post issuance of passport ? Any way to by pass this verification ?

3) I am getting tatkal appointment in two days, so how many days it will takes to deliver the passport in tatkal case ?

TIA

I think afficavit is required only for new issue of tatkal passport. Not for tatkal passport renewal.
Also police verification if already done with last passport and there is no change in address etc, there is no verification for tatkal renewal.

My tatkal rewed passport from pune was printed and shipped on same day. Delivered in couple of days. Holiday came in between so i think it took more time.
I hope you are not booking appointment through leeching agents. If thats the case, let me know. Will be able to help.

I think afficavit is required only for new issue of tatkal passport. Not for tatkal passport renewal.
Also police verification if already done with last passport and there is no change in address etc, there is no verification for tatkal renewal.

My tatkal rewed passport from pune was printed and shipped on same day. Delivered in couple of days. Holiday came in between so i think it took more time.
I hope you are not booking appointment through leeching agents. If thats the case, let me know. Will be able to help.

@Harpy.eagle I am doing myself and applying fresh.

Got the affidavit (Annexure I) from near by advocate. Not sure how the police verification turns out for freshly applied cases. All other documents are in place.

ok, thats good to know. I needed to get my passport renewed on urgent basis and was not getting appointment. So had to approach agent. He got me one but charged 900 bucks which was 1 minute job which anyone can do. I didnt want to take risk so....
Thats why was saying better to stay away from agents.

ok, thats good to know. I needed to get my passport renewed on urgent basis and was not getting appointment. So had to approach agent. He got me one but charged 900 bucks which was 1 minute job which anyone can do. I didnt want to take risk so....
Thats why was saying better to stay away from agents.

On the web site they have added a new feature (as the banner has "New" flash) where in you can check the next available appointment. Since yesterday appointments in Pune were available for 27/11 and today too got the same. Got tomorrow morning 10 am slot, let hope it goes well.

I need to get the passports for my parents done. However, there are issues.

1. My dad had a passport decades ago. It had expired long back, and was never renewed. The passport also was lost, and there is no record of the same. We don't even know the passport number. How do we go about this? Ideally, a police report has to be filed, but with no info about the passport, is it even possible?

2. Both mom and dad do not have any birth certificate. Although both have studied up to 8th std, they have no certificate for the same. Hence no authentic proof of date of birth. What other option do we have for proof of DOB? The website mentions an affidavit sworn before a magistrate or notary, however only for people who have read up to 5th class.

3. Parents also do not have a marriage certificate. Would an affidavit attesting to the same suffice? Or can they produce my passport showing father's name and mother's name as proof?

1. Just apply for a fresh passport as a new applicant.
2. Doesn't matter if it is 5th or 8th as there is not record that they studied upto 8th. So get the affidavit done.
3. You need an affidavit as per a given annexure. I forgot the annexure number so just search for the same in the passport website.

Thanks for the reply.
1. Just apply for a fresh passport as a new applicant.
Isn't there a record with the government about the previous passport. The FAQ on the website mentions this:
If you ever held a passport in the past, no matter how much long back or at what age, you should choose the Re-Issue category only.
I've also read about a few instances where new passport was denied because information about the old one was not disclosed in the application. Hence the apprehension.

Regarding point 2 and 3, I guess affidavits should work.

^^ Its not just a matter of application rules. Applying for a fresh passport with a passport already assigned is a punishable offense with fine of 5,000 and prison sentence up to 5 years.

This is a unique situation in the sense that you don't even know the passport number. Passport is an important document and people are expected to have some record of it even in the event of losing it.
Not sure affidavit route will do any good without even the passport number. I suggest contacting the PSK (they usually provide contacts) and ask advise from them directly. If they don't respond for give a satisfactory answer, then you might have to resort to RTI to get the necessary info.

Regarding DOB proof, for people born before 26/01/1989, SSC/SSLC certificate will work as birth certificate and alternatively, Affidavit in the format provided will work.

Last edited:
^^ Its not just a matter of application rules. Applying for a fresh passport with a passport already assigned is a punishable offense with fine of 5,000 and prison sentence up to 5 years.

This is a unique situation in the sense that you don't even know the passport number. Passport is an important document and people are expected to have some record of it even in the event of losing it.
Not sure affidavit route will do any good without even the passport number. I suggest contacting the PSK (they usually provide contacts) and ask advise from them directly. If they don't respond for give a satisfactory answer, then you might have to resort to RTI to get the necessary info.

Regarding DOB proof, for people born before 26/01/1989, SSC/SSLC certificate will work as birth certificate and alternatively, Affidavit in the format provided will work.

I agree with Lord Nemesis. Recently a colleague tried to push for home town village address just to avoid local agreement and notary at local address, Pune PSK penalized him for Rs 5000 and asked to re-apply for passport.

Its not just a matter of application rules. Applying for a fresh passport with a passport already assigned is a punishable offense with fine of 5,000 and prison sentence up to 5 years.
Yeah. That's what I'm worried about.
I have mailed the chennai RPO. Not sure if I will get any info over mail. Will ask my dad to visit in person at the earliest time possible. In the meantime, he is hunting for old documents in the hopes of finding anything closely related to his passport.

I need to get the passports for my parents done. However, there are issues.

My dad had a passport decades ago. It had expired long back, and was never renewed. The passport also was lost, and there is no record of the same. We don't even know the passport number. How do we go about this? Ideally, a police report has to be filed, but with no info about the passport, is it even possible?

Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but someone I know traveled a lot when he was a kid. Back then, he had an Official Passport (White), since his father was on an official (government) stay outside India. Anyway, then for a long time, he stayed in India and since then, the white passport he had was just kept aside and it wasn't even cancelled.

Several years later, when he had to get a fresh passport, he simply applied for a new one (blue) and got it issued with no problem at all. This was related to New Delhi, however, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but someone I know traveled a lot when he was a kid. Back then, he had an Official Passport (White), since his father was on an official (government) stay outside India. Anyway, then for a long time, he stayed in India and since then, the white passport he had was just kept aside and it wasn't even cancelled.

Several years later, when he had to get a fresh passport, he simply applied for a new one (blue) and got it issued with no problem at all. This was related to New Delhi, however, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

As I said before, applying for a fresh passport while already holding one is an offense. Unlike cases involving withheld info where you can get fined, this type of scenario can result in a prison sentence if caught. This guy you are talking about is in risk for the rest of this life.

In fact the same same holds true for PAN card as well.Obtaining a second card while already holding one is liable to a fine of 10,000.

I've convinced my dad to visit the PSK helpdesk at Chennai some time next week. This week he'll visit the mini PSK that had started functioning in Pondicherry barely a few days ago. Will update this thread when I have more info.

Back