Queries on internet connection/ISP's in Delhi and Bangalore (more details inside).

Which city would you recommend me for my work?

• Bangalore

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Delhi

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Others (please mention in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Question: To the members currently residing in Bangalore and Delhi what net ISP do you have and how is it? Exact location, speed and tariff plans please.

Details: I'm thinking of moving to either Bangalore or Delhi again soon. Depending on whichever has the better internet connectivity. Yes I'm serious. Because it's the E-sports and online gaming industry, my work will be seriously affected by the internet. So I need a stable internet connection with no silly FUP's if possible.

Location: In Bangalore I would stay in Koramangala area. This is certain. Location in Delhi hasn't been decided. South, Central near RML/CP-area or North Delhi towards North Campus/Kamla Nagar/Gupta colony etc or GTB nagar side or even farther. I can't say for sure yet coz as I said it will be according to the internet service and it's such a pain finding affordable good houses for rent in Delhi. And same goes for its internet connections.
Personally I prefer Delhi because I've been there and know the places and my way around. Rent is cheap at some places. Metro connectivity and DTC bus services are great. But no good internet connectivity in many places is a serious concern. About Koramangala well it's a posh area so facilities should be plentiful. And I expect internet services to be top-notch. Though the fees are altogether a different subject lol.

Internet details: My old institute's internet had a 1gbps connection. The speedtest result of internet on my PC gave me some 60-70mbps download. However the upload was horrible at a meagre 2-5mbps tops. So while downloading stuff was a breeze, using the upstream was a nightmare.
Again I'm no internet expert so asking you guys.
I need a good and a as-stable-as-it-can-be-internet connection. I wouldn't mind a 10mbps connection if it can do both upload and download at 10mbps each. Because it's online gaming I would need it to have a stable latency as well. For comparison I play Dota2/csgo in my local gaming cafe here at some 100-150ms. Rare best is some 80-90ms. So I'm looking for a sub-50 ms if possible.

Just a reminder, I don't need the best connection but a good and stable one. Correct me if I'm wrong. And please don't suggest leased. I have a friend with a leased line 8mps and he said he had to work his ass off for over a year to be able to afford it. :D

Thanks.

There are many offering UL internet in Delhi like Hathway, but don't think they are worth it. I'd take ACT or Airtel now since their FUPs are sufficient (though ACT may inflate usage). ACT FUP is higher in Delhi than anywhere else. You can look into Spectra too, don't know how they are now though. I'd factor in things like rent, good home, infra, pollution, places to go(for eg proper parks, I can't find them in Chennai) too though. Internet bill might be relatively much lesser than rent anyway.

In Delhi I've used Hathway (I think), Tikona and Spectra. Tikona was fine (except for their non-internet issues) but the other two were really bad. I went to a local Spectra office and I think they manually manipulate the speeds. Airtel wasn't available where I lived sadly (GK area).
What do you mean by ACT inflate the usage? Seriously? I've never heard of this one. But I'll look into ACT plans. Thought this one would be the obvious recommendations. Wanted to be certain about it.

In Delhi I've used Hathway (I think), Tikona and Spectra. Tikona was fine (except for their non-internet issues) but the other two were really bad. I went to a local Spectra office and I think they manually manipulate the speeds. Airtel wasn't available where I lived sadly (GK area).
What do you mean by ACT inflate the usage? Seriously? I've never heard of this one. But I'll look into ACT plans. Thought this one would be the obvious recommendations. Wanted to be certain about it.
Was Spectra seriously that bad? They seem to offer 1gbps at a pretty good price in Delhi NCR
Could you more details about your experience with them?

Was Spectra seriously that bad? They seem to offer 1gbps at a pretty good price in Delhi NCR
Could you more details about your experience with them?
Services vary on locations so there will be other areas which have better quality. But ours were bad. Location was Bersarai/GK in South Delhi. And it's not specifically just about the speed/plan either but reliability in general.
I'm not sure how these ISP connection works but I believe they give one main line to a local branch and that branch in turn gives to the customers. And in the system which I managed to get a peek on (much to the dismay of the local employees) I could see a table with many users in the list and also showed their status activity (like online/offline etc). The admin could also alter the speed of the internet on that system, you know like those panels in cafe management softwares.
In more popular areas the ISP might give a direct connection, I don't know much about these things tbh so I can't say for sure.
Your safest bet on feedback would be asking the current subscribers. Only they would be able to tell you. Don't blindly trust what they show you in ads or what their connection staff tell you. They will leave you to rot when you face problems since they really hate fixing things. Just local ISP things I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Currently using ACT and Hathway in Bangalore.

ACT costs Rs.1299+ taxes and i get 90mbps down and 90mbps upwith FUP of 225GB. Connection is rock solid and hasn't gone down since i got it (3 months back). Use it mainly for streaming and browsing.
Hathway costs 999+ taxes and i get 50mbps down and 5mbps up with FUP of 500GB. Connection goes down for a few hours every week but fixes itself automatically. Use this connection for bulk downloads.
Had Airtel which cost 1399+ taxes and was getting 16mbps down and 1 mbps up with an FUP of around 200GB. The most stable connection but upload speeds suck big time.

Bangalore and Hyderabad have relatively cheaper and better ISP options
Delhi has actually cheaper internet than any state in India.
Because it's online gaming I would need it to have a stable latency as well. For comparison I play Dota2/csgo in my local gaming cafe here at some 100-150ms. Rare best is some 80-90ms. So I'm looking for a sub-50 ms if possible.
Delhi has cheaper internet but bangalore gives you better latency on SEA servers due to routing. From delhi SEA gives you 80-100ms depending on area and isp, bangalore can be 60-80ms.
There is no definite answer for your answer unless you start living and test internet for yourself.
If you can shift to saket(South delhi) then in my opinion it has best internet in delhi.
Not because of stability but in terms of isp availability, for stability you will have you test it for yourself.
All major players are there and I'm sure you can get good 100/100 unlimited internet for Rs1200 or less.

When did you use Spectra? If you used before 2015(iirc) you might have taken their service when they were offering excitel like to the node service. I have read of ACT inflating usage sometimes on forums. Though it doesn't seem to come up now.

Currently using ACT and Hathway in Bangalore.

ACT costs Rs.1299+ taxes and i get 90mbps down and 90mbps upwith FUP of 225GB. Connection is rock solid and hasn't gone down since i got it (3 months back). Use it mainly for streaming and browsing.
Hathway costs 999+ taxes and i get 50mbps down and 5mbps up with FUP of 500GB. Connection goes down for a few hours every week but fixes itself automatically. Use this connection for bulk downloads.
Had Airtel which cost 1399+ taxes and was getting 16mbps down and 1 mbps up with an FUP of around 200GB. The most stable connection but upload speeds suck big time.
If ACT is feasible in my area then I'm going for it. You must be rich using two ISP's. :D
If you can shift to saket(South delhi) then in my opinion it has best internet in delhi.
Where in Saket? Malviya Nagar metro side or Saket market side (PVR side)? Do you live there? I guess it's because Saket is a popular area or could be a new thing. Good to know.
When did you use Spectra? If you used before 2015(iirc) you might have taken their service.
BULLSEYE!

Still lesser than what i used to pay Airtel less than a year back!
haha yeah. I remember paying almost 3k (2k+1k extra post FUP recharge) for Airtel a few years back while I was in North campus lol. But Airtel was the most decent ISP back then. No one else offered anything better. People nowadays spoiled by newer ISP's like ACT and Excitel etc smh. >_>

haha yeah. I remember paying almost 3k (2k+1k extra post FUP recharge) for Airtel a few years back while I was in North campus lol. But Airtel was the most decent ISP back then. No one else offered anything better. People nowadays spoiled by newer ISP's like ACT and Excitel etc smh. >_>

OT:
It's sad that the competition in Mumbai is not that great. There are some small time players who offer good vfm but the issue is connectivity issues.

UPDATE: Delhi it is!
Hope ACT gives connection to govt. quarters. Otherwise I will have to use the existing MTNL lol. :D

Where in Delhi would you be staying? ACT only has availability in few of the localities in south Delhi. Although they've been expanding, but haven't heard about them in the other areas of Delhi. Else, you could check Airtel as well.
But if upload speeds would matter better to go with ACT. The have a Platinum Promo 6 month plan going currently for 999/-

Where in Delhi would you be staying? ACT only has availability in few of the localities in south Delhi. Although they've been expanding, but haven't heard about them in the other areas of Delhi. Else, you could check Airtel as well.
But if upload speeds would matter better to go with ACT. The have a Platinum Promo 6 month plan going currently for 999/-
South. Near IIT-D. ACT has stopped replying to my queries so I cannot confirm it's availability. They don't even have any list showing places where they're feasible so it's certainly confusing.

Back