Car & Bike Pulsar 150cc - Problem , insight needed.

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
Hi,

I have a 2009 UG3 Pulsar 150, 20450Km done on ODO.In recent days i notice considerable reduce in pick-up of the bike.Riding on single there i see no difference .The ride is smooth and the bike respond well . But with a pillion rider it's totally a different story.(With pillion rider,) after applying breaks i need to gear down 2-3 gears to make the bike move otherwise even if accelerate hard , it takes long time for the bike to respond to level of acceleration given .

so i went to Bajaj service center and ask them about it. The service guy suggested it about time the bike should get 'Engine De-corporation' done , i was like 'What and how much it's going to cost'.

I was immediately handed the quotation for about Rs.5960( with labor ). what i understood was they would open up the engine and do service in cylinders,change chain sprocket and some other things which i dont understand written in piece of paper. :huh:
I'm not sure it's needed or they are trying to rip me off or a Simple tweak will do the trick. Moreover my bikes engine oil is leaking.

P.S - if you are member of Team-bhp, I request you to kindly post it to zero in the problem.

Try and get a quote from some other bajaj showroom,even my P150 had developed severe performance issues with girls on scooties overtaking me and a topspeed of 70KM/h with just a single rider :p i got a quote of 2k(including regular oil change+servicing as i gave it for servicing after a year) and the mechanic did some engine work and many parts replacements like piston rings, diaphragm etc etc which i dont remember and after the complete engine work my bike's performance is just like new :)

So, i think excluding general servicing,oil change etc,the mechanic must have replaced stuff worth only 1200 odd as pulsar spare parts are very cheap, so it would be better if you can get a quote from some other showrooms.

I think what that service centre guy meant was Engine De-carbonizing, wherein the carbon build-up in the engine is cleaned for better response and efficiency. But that shouldn't cost you so much. Try some other service centre.

Today went to another sevice center.Mech went for a TD and said the bike is ok(without pillion rider) If i'm not satisfied they can replace the head and cylinder assembly ,would cost 3500-4000INR . it's the almost same as previous service center, these guys didn't mention chain sprocket and one more part which cost Rs.1760 extra.

no matter what ,my money would be ripped off by Bajaj ASS.

jerryelvis said:
Hi,

I have a 2009 UG3 Pulsar 150, 20450Km done on ODO.In recent days i notice considerable reduce in pick-up of the bike.Riding on single there i see no difference .The ride is smooth and the bike respond well . But with a pillion rider it's totally a different story.(With pillion rider,) after applying breaks i need to gear down 2-3 gears to make the bike move otherwise even if accelerate hard , it takes long time for the bike to respond to level of acceleration given .

so i went to Bajaj service center and ask them about it. The service guy suggested it about time the bike should get 'Engine De-corporation' done , i was like 'What and how much it's going to cost'.

I was immediately handed the quotation for about Rs.5960( with labor ). what i understood was they would open up the engine and do service in cylinders,change chain sprocket and some other things which i dont understand written in piece of paper. :huh:
I'm not sure it's needed or they are trying to rip me off or a Simple tweak will do the trick. Moreover my bikes engine oil is leaking.

P.S - if you are member of Team-bhp, I request you to kindly post it to zero in the problem.

I heard that for the first time :S

Sorry to hear your engine is shattered. But that is quite obvious with bajaj/pulsar owners.
cheap parts gets ripped off in abt 6months to a year.
need frequent servicing and replacemnt of parts.

ramanujpatro said:
Sorry to hear your engine is shattered. But that is quite obvious with bajaj/pulsar owners.

cheap parts gets ripped off in abt 6months to a year.

need frequent servicing and replacemnt of parts.

Not true, mine needed 1.2k worth engine parts replacement after 5 years of usage not 6 months or 1-2 yrs.

RS4 said:
Not true, mine needed 1.2k worth engine parts replacement after 5 years of usage not 6 months or 1-2 yrs.

Sure, may not be in your case.
Correction to prev. post : But this is the trend for most of the bajaj/pulsar owners. Also depends how good a person is maintaining his bike.

^^Well,the pulsar series covers more than 50% of that segment and there is bound to be more vocal/online complaints against such a brand with huge sales, Also off late i have seen that Bajaj bashing has become a new fashion for the honda,yamaha owners.So,everyone stick to the topic and contribute only if you can help OP by any useful info.

Well as P220 owner I would suggest you few things before going for what mech has said...

Try decarb fuel additives, which you have to add to fuel and run for few hundred kms ... check chain sprocket, replace if needed and Check if problem is still there... chain sprocket never last more than 15k on my bike... also did ya ever changed spark plugs ? They need to be replaced every 10k kms... last but not the least see if clutch plates are ok, if u use half clutch they worn out faster ... engine decarb by opening it is done when bike is 50k km + old ... they don't replace block head just like that, since you say bike is ok when u ride it alone I don't see reason to play with engine ...

In my 9yr exp with Bajaj A.S.S., they are usually very good and accurate.. Though they do tend to be slightly cautious about bike's future problems and tend to advice a part change even if can do some miles more.

Would recommend the 1st service centre that you mentioned.

abhifusion said:
Well as P220 owner I would suggest you few things before going for what mech has said...

Try decarb fuel additives, which you have to add to fuel and run for few hundred kms ... check chain sprocket, replace if needed and Check if problem is still there... chain sprocket never last more than 15k on my bike... also did ya ever changed spark plugs ? They need to be replaced every 10k kms... last but not the least see if clutch plates are ok, if u use half clutch they worn out faster ... engine decarb by opening it is done when bike is 50k km + old ... they don't replace block head just like that, since you say bike is ok when u ride it alone I don't see reason to play with engine ...

Point taken. could you throw in some light about decarb fuel additives like brand, does it decarbonise the engine. I suspect Clutch plate and spark plugs . Chain sprocket could be worn out too.

RS4 said:
^^Well,the pulsar series covers more than 50% of that segment and there is bound to be more vocal/online complaints against such a brand with huge sales, Also off late i have seen that Bajaj bashing has become a new fashion for the honda,yamaha owners.So,everyone stick to the topic and contribute only if you can help OP by any useful info.
@bold Ha ha ha :lol:
Are u serious abt ur comment ? :lol:
When something is defective/problematic ,its bound to have compalint/bashing, isn't it ?
FYI, when something sells cheaper and below standards , its bound to sell more.

@OP Instead of getting ripped off at any Bajaj Service Center. Take ur bike to a good local mechanic and check what's the problem is.
You can get genuine spares from the service center and get repaired from a local mechanic. :)

Dear Jerry,

Engine De-carbonisation is a common trick used by mechanics to make fast buck. For a bike that's run 20k odd kilometers, carbon deposition shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course, the bike was not maintained properly, by which i mean, extensive use of adulterate fuel, no regular servicing and oil changes etc. But given that you are on this forum and an enthusiasts, chances of poor maintenance is bleak :).

Instead of tackling the engine first, i suggest you look at the usual suspects first and if nothing works out then and only then let them touch your engine.

1. Get a routine service done. You mentioned oil leakage, that is enough to lower performance.
2. Get the spark plug cleaned, if it is older than 10K, change it.
3. Change the engine oil and since you mentioned oil leakage, check from where the leakage is. resolve it ASAP.
4. Get the Carb cleaned throughly. Ask the mech to check the jetting and ask him to tune the engine.
5. Check your air-filter. If its too old change it. This might be one of the reason for lack of performance under load. The engine will struggle when deprived of air.
6. Get your sprocket checked and in case its worn, you will have to change both the chain and the sprocket together. Otherwise the old chain will eat away the new sprocket in no time.
7. In case you suspect the Clutch. The typical symptom is it becomes hard. i.e. there won't be that gradual feeling, instead the clutch will engage abruptly. I suspect it's a clutch problem too! :)

If after all these routine checks the bike performs below expectation, you may consider an engine servicing. Which will generally include piston change, timing belt settings etc.

Hope this helps.

--
Sanket

ramanujpatro said:
Sure, may not be in your case.

Correction to prev. post : But this is the trend for most of the bajaj/pulsar owners. Also depends how good a person is maintaining his bike.

Stop OT. Even i own a pulsar 150 been more than 5yrs and haven't spent more than 2k during this period.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ramanujpatro said:
@

Is it?...10chars

ramanujpatro said:
@bold Ha ha ha :lol:
Are u serious abt ur comment ? :lol:
When something is defective/problematic ,its bound to have compalint/bashing, isn't it ?

@OP Instead of getting ripped off at any Bajaj Service Center. Take ur bike to a good local mechanic and check what's the problem is.
You can get genuine spares from the service center and get repaired from a local mechanic. :)

Yes, i am serious about my comment unlike you who is trying very hard to troll here :lol:
@cheaper and below standards:Back up your talks with some hard facts and data instead of pulling out such statements out of your a$$ :cool2:

You are sitting in bangalore and advising OP to go to a good local mechanic in chennai :rofl: if you know any good local mechanic with good skills in chennai then do let him know.

RS4 said:
Yes, i am serious about my comment unlike you who is trying very hard to troll here :lol:
@cheaper and below standards:Back up your talks with some hard facts and data instead of pulling out such statements out of your a$$ :cool2:

You are sitting in bangalore and advising OP to go to a good local mechanic in chennai :rofl: if you know any good local mechanic with good skills in chennai then do let him know.
@cheaper and below standard:
This thread itself is the biggest evidence:lol:
What more evidence do you need ? Fusing LED tail lamps,defective odometer and speedometer. Vibrating engine, wearing clutch plates etc etc.
What more evidence you need ?

@local mechanic : That is where one would go, if the engineers are not good enough at bajaj, what more to expect from a bajaj mechanic :lol:

ramanujpatro said:
@cheaper and below standard:

This thread itself is the biggest evidence:lol:

What more evidence do you need ? Fusing LED tail lamps,defective odometer and speedometer. Vibrating engine, wearing clutch plates etc etc.

What more evidence you need ?

@local mechanic : That is where one would go, if the engineers are not good enough at bajaj, what more to expect from a bajaj mechanic :lol:

Again no hard facts or stats, just pulling statements out of your A$$ :rofl: Kindly post about any good local mechanic in chennai or GTFO troll :)

RS4 said:
Again no hard facts or stats, just pulling statements out of your A$$ :rofl: Kindly post about any good local mechanic in chennai or GTFO troll :)

Don't get frustrated mate. :) People using pulsar know abt and so do you. Hiding the reality in ur A$$ won't help.
Go check out the pulsars lying with the local mechanics( obviously for repairs :lol:) in any part of india and search for whatever kind of facts/figures u need. I am not a surveying agency to get u facts.

BTW, The OP wud be intelligent enough to find who is a good mechanic or else he can ask any TE member from chennai for help.

Back