PC Peripherals PSU query

kujija

Disciple
Hello everyone.. I am going to replace my old phenom x2 555BE, hd5770 combo with the newer one that is core i3 6100 and zotac gtx 960 combo. The problem is my build is limited to new cpu,ram,gpu and mobo and i am not going to buy a new psu which i already have that is corsair vx450. My question is, will my vx450 will be able to meet the power consumption demand of the new configuration which i mentioned above. Although it says that gtx960 need only 400w, i want to be sure about this. Lastly one thing will this configuration handle most new games at high settings at 50-60 fps at 1080p, the motherboard im going is gigabyte GA H1110M S2. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Your newer components are more power efficient than the outgoing components, so the VX450 should handle it. The only concern would be the age of the PSU.

Your newer components are more power efficient than the outgoing components, so the VX450 should handle it. The only concern would be the age of the PSU.
Around 5 years.. Fan is somewhat making a rattling noise. Hope it works. Btw are pc hardaware less offine then to buy online. M getting a 6k diff between the two.

I've bought all the components.. And suddenly i realised i ignored something. The zotac 960 4gb uses 8 pin connector and my psu has only one 6pin. If my psu had 2 6pin connector i would have used the six pin to 8 pin converter provided by the card. So what do u guys suggest i do.

U mean try to use my only one six pin to a 8 pin connector using a conveter? The gtx 960 says it uses only 6pin low power[DOUBLEPOST=1466940834][/DOUBLEPOST]Does using a single six pin on a 8 pin card using the conveter fry the card. Guys its so frustrating when u have waited all along and this happens.... Itne pas phir bhi door.. Help me out guys[DOUBLEPOST=1466941158][/DOUBLEPOST]The gtx 960 uses only one six pin as told by nvidia. But how come, this has 8 pins.. I am shellshocked

Last edited:
If you have two 6 pin connectors, use them to get a single 8 pin connector using accessory provided by Zotac. Assuming it is a AMP ! edition, Zotac's website has a strange info too. Pics in overview section, show 6 pin connector whereas specification section, list input power at 8 pin connector. :p

Fixed it. I had one six pin connector and tried it using the conveter and viola it worked. No shutdowns during games at max load. It seems that zotac uses a 6 pin even thou the card has 8 pin. Maybe its for overxlocking as this comes with the firestorm utility.

Back