PC Peripherals PSU help required , please suggest

Hi everyone , I am not a technical user so dont know much about PSU , just got familiar by its name through TE only .

Well , problem is that my desktop's display started crashing on its own at frequent intervals . No fixed times but usually whenever i was using facebook , my email , messenger all together . Dis brought my concern to find out a solution to it . I tried updating the drivers for my video card as well but it dint worked out .

For every1's info MY PC Details are :-
MOBO ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS
P4 - 3.0 GHZ ( INTEL )
3GB RAM KINGSTON
80GB SEGATE HDD
SONY DVD WRITER
SAMSUNG DVD ROM
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2ZS
NVIDIA XFX 6600 256MB DDR2 XXX EDITION

link to my graphic card is :
XFX 6600 256MB DDR2 XXX Edition Video Card Review :: XFX 6600 XXX Layout :: Motherboards.org

CABINET I USE IS I-BALL AND PSU AFTER CHECKING INSIDE THE CABINET ITS ODYSSEY 450W .

I have been working on this CPU since past 3 years with no problems at all . Earlier i was using INTEL 915GAV MOBO , it got kaput so i have shifted to ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS .

Now as i have searched the forums on TE , i have realized that my DISPLAY CRASHING problem seems to be cause of a bad PSU . I request you guys to suggest me a PSU ( seeing my hardware requirements ) .

I dont have any idea about wattage of a PSU . I don't even know if 450W PSU that i am using is sufficient for my hardware or not ? Please see my hardware and suggest me an affordable solution
I will be really thankful to everyone .

Uhm...unfortunately you havent listed your budget...
VIP Silver/Gold SMPS should be good for you, it costs 1k plus approx...

budget is fine till 1k-2k ,

but bro , wat should be the ideal wattage as per my hardware requirements ?

Is the display crashing problem because of the PSU ??

Changing drivers i have tried many a times , have even tried disabling write combining , but still display crashes .

It gets off and then comes back again with in 2-3 seconds , then repeats this thing for 4-5 minutes . And when pc left idle works fine .

Only 350W psu will be more than enough for you. And regarding the crashes just tell me that ur screen gets distorted very badly? Since this problem was faced by me one then I got my gpu replaced and now everything is working like a charm.

mayanksahni said:
Only 350W psu will be more than enough for you. And regarding the crashes just tell me that ur screen gets distorted very badly? Since this problem was faced by me one then I got my gpu replaced and now everything is working like a charm.

Thanks for replying bro , Screen actually doesnt gets distorted it completly gets blank , ON LCD MESSAGE come " no signal detected " and then it gets ON within 3-4 seconds . This keeps on happening again and again .
I dont even know whether my current 450W PSU is fine or faulty ?

Try exchanging ur psu from any of your nearby friend for 2-3 days and verify whether its psu problem or gpu. But it seems to be gpu problem to me.

i have tried shifting back to onboard video and used PC for almost 30 minutes , the display was absolutely fine . but problem occurs when i work wid graphics card . I have two options now , either the card is faulty or else its the PSU thats not able to supply adequate power to the CARD .

Note :- this card doesn't has a power connector and draws power from MOBO itself . ( around 70W ) . did a search on above link .

AFAIK , GPU is fine , it was working absolutely fine before i got my MOBO changed , this display flickering problem wasnt there . I am having doubts on PSU . Is there any way to check that PSU is supplying adequate power or not ?

If the GPU was working fine previously on the same PSU, then the GPU is the problem.
Tell you what, change the PSU and then give the card for RMA if under warranty, it won't do you any harm :)

i bought my nvidia card in 2005 i guess , i think the warranty must be over by now . ok if i have to change my PSU then which brand should i go for ?

Recommend VFM option as i dont own a hi-fi rig . Its just used for browsing web and for few movies .

guys i changed my PSU twice today , I first bought Frontech 450W SMPS , installed it , it worked well for 10minutes but soon after that it started giving the same display freezing problem .

Now I have bought ICOOL450W SMPS (Rs.950) , it worked fine for almost 30 minutes but then it also started giving same problems . But with this differnce was this much only that display dint went off completly , it used to freeze and then return back to normal with a black screen flast in 2 seconds .

Earlier , the whole screen used to go black in event of display freezing .

I am unable to understand that this display freezing problem is caused by GFX card , PSU or some driver clashing ??

Guys please help me out .

Back