PC Peripherals Power Supply Issues

rikhav

Disciple
My PC configuration is as follows

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-E350N with onboard AMD CPU and also onboard AMD Radeon HD 6310
RAM - 8gb DDR3
HDD - WD 1 TB Black 7200 RPM
DVD Writer

Its powered by a Circle Slim SMPS

The issue is, HDD is giving frequent read/write errors. OS is win 8.1 and frequently crashes on start. I did a full surface scan and there are zero bad sectors.

This leads me to think whether the SMPS has not got enough power and hence the HDD is having issues

Can someone advise me on this and if SMPS is the real issue which one should i opt for

Thanks Vishal

I will start a memtest right away and post on this thread

But i suspect the HDD related issue more as the spinning has become too loud

I did a surface scan twice and there were zero bad sectors

If your HDD is giving unusual noises it could be a sign of imminent failure. i suggest you backup important data just in case.
Your system's power draw is not high. what wattage is you smps rated at? if possible can you read the sticker on the side and post how many amps are on the 12v rail?

Hi crapmypants

Initially, I also thought HDD is going to fail soon. But several surface scans never marked a bad sector. It passes SMART test some times and also fails

Data is absolutely safe and backed up. No important data on the PC now and running Ubuntu and do diagnostic checks with Hiren Boot CD

should I do a full format and check if any bad sectors are marked?

Also there is no TICK TICK sound, its just the platter spinning but more aggressive sound. I had read somewhere that hen HDD is deprived of power there are chances of such sounds increasing. Not sure how true it is

Below is the image of SMPS. Its approx 3 years old

smps.jpg

Did memtest for few hours
No errors

Assuming, SMPS is an issue can anyone suggest me a good one

I don't want a basic one.
Want one with atleast APFC and bronze certification so can be used for atleast 5 to 6 years without any issues.
Also would never upgrade to a gaming PC type PC config but max a decent I5, with 8 gb DDR4 and a blu ray drive and similar hdd

So keeping that in mind can anyone suggest me one or should I go with any brand 500 watt SMPS with bronze 80 certification and APFC

Seasonic, Cooler Master, Deepcool, Corsair or Antec

Using a corsair TX650 in other pc since more then 18 months. No complaints so far

Even if the smps is not the fault, i would still recommend changing it.
13 amps on the 12v rail is no good. you want atleast 20 amps. (most have 25+).
Any seasonic or corsair vx series should do.
Your current system will be fine with a quality 400w smps. get 500w only if you plan on getting a video card or want the headroom to add one later. Otherwise a 400w one will be enough for your system and half a dozen drives.
Future cpu's are very unlikely to require more than 400w.

Also, my drive failure was mechanical (the clicking noise) and it didnt show any bad sectors either.

Hi
Ok so as suspected ps ratings are quiet bad
So as you mentioned even if hdd gives issues after ps change its worth it as current ps is no good
Also my hdd has 3 years warranty left so I am safe that way
Thanks a lot

Trying to get a seasonic s12 520 watt one
Difference between 430 and 520 is mere 500 to 700 bucks
Sad part is prime not sticking any seasonic product

How good is corsair cs series. Some models are bronze certified

Ordered a seasonic s12 520
Thank you all

Corsair is way too confusing with model names. Also the TX series which I have in other pc is no more in line up

Will update here if problem was solved once I get the ps[DOUBLEPOST=1424093543][/DOUBLEPOST]Most surprising part about this circle ps is that it has 16 amps on 5 volts, and 13 amps on 12 volts

Comparing this corsair tx 650 has 24 amps at 3.3 volts, 30 at 5 volts and 52 at 12 volts (max load)

Last edited:
Got my Seasonic S12 520 watts. Had purchsaed from Flipkart and seller was Tirupati Enterprises

Usually I buy everything from Prime ABGB but they told me they have stopped selling Seasonic

It came in a box which was not sealed. Mfg date is april 2014
And after i saw the power supply I can easily make out that its opened up and refurbished

Below is the image

IMG_20150220_160640.jpg

Now my dilemma is that should i ask for replacement or refund.
This is not flipkarts fault. Seller has played trick and has done purposely. No way he can send a PS in such condition by mistake
Even if i ask replacement I am not sure if they will repay me (paid by cash COD, no cc) or give credit to me on Flipkart wallet
Antec is another option on flipkart which is also sold Tirupati. Rest there is nothing good in 5k range. Flipkart has not got lot of options

Please suggest me what should i do

Hi Dpnadey
The seller is same i.e. Tirupati

If flipkart assures me that replacement would not have issues, should I go with their word or still just ask for replacement?

okay

Let me see what Flipkart has to say tomorrow

You are true when you say some sellers behave like ameteurs
When they are selling hiend product which is not in any way mass market, how do they expect to get away with all this

And its a sad state in our country that these sellers don't have fear of any law protecting consumers so try their best to maximize their profit

It would be absolutely unbelievable if seller says it happened BY MISTAKE

thanks crazy_eddy
Will do that right away

Sad to know big players of the industry doing this. Not sure then whom to trust and whom not to
Not even considering the time i will be left without PC as all procedure will take time

Hate 140 limit of twitter but let me try my best

If you can, bring it to the attention of tirupati's GM on twitter : https://twitter.com/akejriwal
Lol that sounds like a double twit incl. arvind kejriwal :hilarious:[DOUBLEPOST=1424523106][/DOUBLEPOST]Usually sometimes the seller himself damages the product in a hush-rush situation. So the unit might have fallen from his hand or got mishandled by some other means.

Had similar incident with regards to a cabinet bought from flipkart some years down and it was damaged from backside. Had to fight a war with them to get full refund.

Whatever, but end user is liable for a replacement.
If you are from Mumbai you should have visited lamington and got the product in hand with 100% satisfaction at least with its physical conditon.

Forget prime, its all crap abgb (all bakwaas good bhangaar)

Last edited:
Hi Nritech and others
Got a call from flipkart. They approved the replacement but dodged questions when i asked what is a procedure for full refund
Also got a sms that seller has packed the product and ready for shipping

Even we are not allowed to check and return the goods once the delivery happens again. the flipkart executive said if there is a problem, one has to follow same procedure

Not sure what should i do?
Should i ask and fight for a refund?
Even if i ask for replacement should i check it before signing on the delivery sheet and return if not satisfied

Flipkart is cooperating but there is some serious waste of time happening. Plus who can be at home always when the delivery guys come

I had inquired at few places but no one was selling Seasonic.
Also in my budget of around about INR 5000 and a 500 watt SMPS there were no good choices. either too low end or had to spend above 7 to 8k for a 650 watt SMPS
That's the reason i had to buy from Flipkart

I generally avoid buying anything which is not supplied by WS retail on Flipkart. As its their sister company a refund is easy to get

Also if you see the picture carefully the SMPS is not damaged by accident. Its not dented.
Rather whoever repaired it could not fit the case properly

Still no reply from Mr. Kejriwal

@rikhav Tirupati Enterprise/Overclockerszone is official distributor for Seasonic products in India. Their shipping is quick so may be by Monday you will get it.

Coming to local availability, I guess unavailability from quite some time. Recently when a friend wanted SMPS, suggested for Seasonic, but Prime did not had stock so he ended up buying Corsair CS.

Back