Power saving devices - do they work ?

toocool6600

Disciple
PUbSAyE.png

http://www.dreamtelegroup.com/product82.htm

anyone can suggest that these things work? anyone using this or any other alternate at home?

such capacitor based gizmos work only for electric meters measuring PF and not WHr. and even then, it has to match the actual power consumption. one just can't use a capacitor with random ratings. but this device claims to sense the load and adjust accordingly... that's a good thing, but only for the electricity suppliers and commercial users.

it can smoothen the voltage for you but won't reduce the bills noticeably. however, commercial users can look into it after figuring out their inductive load.

Well

It all went over my head. Lol

Please explain in easy language, my home has electronic meter and my pass load is 7kw with 3 air conditioner

Power is comprised of real power and reactive power. Capacitance can compensate for poor power factor and reduce the reactive power component. This is why 'commercial' users, i.e. factories/industries have capacitor banks on their premises. These power saving gizmos try to mimic these capacitor banks. There's just one problem - 'domestic' users are only charged for real power, so improving the power factor is not going to help at all. In addition these mosquito repellent sized devices have barely enough capacitance to make a difference.

On a similar note, another power saving gizmo to beware of is one "Magnatron AC power saver", which was heavily advertised in The Hindu recently. I mailed the owner of this device for some details, and some of the answers were downright ridiculous - eg: "the device extracts the cooling energy in the condenser coils" (?!). I later discovered that they also sell other popular snake oil devices like 'fuel saving magnets' and 'magnetic water purifiers'.

Back