Graphic Cards PC Wont Turn On After a GPU Reinstall

Hi Everyone:

This is my build:
i7 4790k
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozer
SeaSonic X Series X-850 (80 Plus Gold)
Corsair H100i

My GTX 560Ti developed an overheating problem so I submitted it for RMA. I have been using the on-board Graphics till now. I received my repaired card which was tested at the service center in front of my eyes and it was working fine.

I installed the GPU in my system but forgot to connect the power cables to the card. I turned on the system. Fans and leds flash for half second and nothing happened. Then I realized that I forgot to plug the power cable to the GPU. I connected the power cable and tried again but the same thing happened again, system fans and leds flashed for half second

I have tried to boot the system with bare minimum and it works fine as long as I don't install the card. I also tried both the PCI-e slots but system doesn't turn on if the GPU is installed in any of the two pci-e slots. However, If remove the GPU, the system boots normally and everything is fine.

I took back the GPU the service center and it is working fine.

I am not sure which one is the culprit (PSU or PCI-e slot)?

Please help

I have tested both pci-e slots...it doesnot work...Is it possible for both slots to go kaput at the same time.....The system does not turn on as long as GPU is inside the PCI-E slot evenif I remove the PSU cables from the GPU....Everything was fine before I took the GPU to the service center.....

I just want to understand which part (PSU or Mobo) is the issue so that I can take it for RMA.

All my friends use Laptop....I am the only one who uses PC....I guess that I will have to take it to a shop. Does anyone know a good repair shop in Nehru Place, Delhi?

try unplugging everything and reseat your gpu then plug then back. Ohh also check your bios once, just to make sure everything is in right order.

I have tried clearing CMOS... but it didnt work....

I think it could be the mobo...Cause even if I remove the PSU wires from GPU....the systems doesnt start...It only work if i remove the GPU from the slot completely....

I am thinking of taking apart the whole system and assembling it again...I dont have spare PSU to check....Should I take PSU or Mobo for RMA?

Yes its the mobo now coz you tried all the solutions.
My mobos pci-ex slot also was DOA. Only the secondary sli pci-ex slot was working but @8x speed. So went for replacement and got one.

I have tried clearing CMOS... but it didnt work....

I think it could be the mobo...Cause even if I remove the PSU wires from GPU....the systems doesnt start...It only work if i remove the GPU from the slot completely....

I am thinking of taking apart the whole system and assembling it again...I dont have spare PSU to check....Should I take PSU or Mobo for RMA?

Even when you remove PSU wires from GPU, it can draw up to 75W from PCI-E slot. Hence technically your card is still powering up - though not on required level in such case. Best suggestion will be to do cross checking; Any other card on your system or your card on any other system; if count on service center you can skip latter. Also in mean time take apart entire system and re-assemble it.

@vyral: based on ur point, could it be my psu?? Coz when i turn on the system every things comes on for less than a second and then everything goes dark but light on mobo are still om. If i try to switch on the system, nothing happens.....however, on disconnecting the main power cable and trying again...i get the same reaponse (lights n fan get on for few milliseconds) then again dead

try this.. remove ram and remount.. and also if possible remount the cpu.. Also check your case for shorts with the mobo or something like that. can we have a pic of your system ?

If you have a multimeter check if you're seeing a voltage on the PCI-e power cable. Also remove and re-insert the cable since yours is a modular PSU.
Although I was kinda under the impression that a GPU will still boot up at lower clocks even if the power is insufficient.

If you don't connect the pci-e power plug to the gpu the system may not boot [ I mean would not go into windows ] and will present you with a black screen. Anyway, reading Op's issue I also suspect it as a PSU issue but it can be the motherboard as well.

Back