Budget 31-40k PC for home use

sky

Disciple
My old desktop is almost dead, so I have decided to build a new. So far, desktop was used by kids, music, movies (what else you expect from a P4) and keep back up of my laptop in internal drives.

With new machine I might run some VMs for learnings.

1. What is your budget?
    • 40K. Can extend 45k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • A ancient P4 dead machine
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • HDD 500GB *2 and 2TB SATA
    • Monitor - Samsung 17" LCD. May replace it soon when get more funds
    • Dell Keyboard and Mouse
    • Corsair Cabinet - Bought sometime back, still packed
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i5 8400
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - Do I need that with both? or just with AMD? If yes, any entry level DDR5 is ok.
    • PSU - Seasonic. I need to connect 3-4 internal drives and 1-2 external drives. Not sure how much power PSU I need. How about Antec or VIP?
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance or GSkill Ripjaws DDR 4 8GB *2 . Can I go with 1 stick and buy second later when I need it? Should both sticks be from same manufacturer/model to work? Not sure if I plan to buy more 1 yr later if I get same stick.

• Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • May be RAM, if I got with 8GB now
    • Monitor 21" LED
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi - Nehru Place
    • Open to Online Purchase - No
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes, may go with GPU or PSU
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
    • Running some VMs
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Prefer reputed brands which provide good service
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No time for games. Only kids play these days.
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1440x900
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Can I install MS hypervisor?

Last edited:
Heard that 8400 work with 300 series of motherboards which will be launched in Q1 2018. Then how come this CPU is available without motherboard.

If I need GPU with both and then Mobo+CPU cost me same. Question is, will I get benefited with 12 cores of AMD vs 6 of i5?

Heard that 8400 work with 300 series of motherboards which will be launched in Q1 2018. Then how come this CPU is available without motherboard.

If I need GPU with both and then Mobo+CPU cost me same. Question is, will I get benefited with 12 cores of AMD vs 6 of i5?
i5 8400 currently works with relatively expensive Z370 motherboards. Ryzen does not come with integrated GPU so you'll need a discrete GPU.

Budget -44.5K

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 -12500,
Asus Prime B350 Plus -9000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 3000Mhz -11000,
Zotac GT1030 2GB DDR5 -5500,
Seasonic S12II 620w -6500.
TOTAL -44,500.

It's just that now many people use varioius computers for domestic use, so it's hard to say which is domestic and which isn't. In terms of characteristics it's also very interesting in terms of the budget.

Hi,

sorry for reviving old thread but I had some medical emergency and I had to divert all my funds. Now I overcome that situation, I am thinking on this requirement again.
I have the same requirement but this time I have to think between AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Intel i5 8400. And operating system would be windows 10.

But why cost of i5 8400 spiked up? It was close to 15-16k that time.

But why cost of i5 8400 spiked up? It was close to 15-16k that time.
Intel is facing supply issues and hence cost is constantly going up for their processors since last few months.

You should be good with Ryzen 5 2400G and B450 chipset mobo. Should cost about 20K. This would eliminate need of dedicated GPU. You can add 8GB RAM for about 5.5-6K or 16GB at about 10-11K. Grab a 250GB Samsung 860 EVo for about 4.5-5k. Seasonic S12II 430W online is 5.5K but I am sure, you can get it for much cheaper rate offline.

Intel is facing supply issues and hence cost is constantly going up for their processors since last few months.

You should be good with Ryzen 5 2400G and B450 chipset mobo. Should cost about 20K. This would eliminate need of dedicated GPU. You can add 8GB RAM for about 5.5-6K or 16GB at about 10-11K. Grab a 250GB Samsung 860 EVo for about 4.5-5k. Seasonic S12II 430W online is 5.5K but I am sure, you can get it for much cheaper rate offline.

Thanks @vyral_143
Any chances for cost come down for Intel proc. I had i5 8400 in mind as it have 6 cores and Intel cores are more powerful than AMD, this is what everyone say here. And if I have to run VMs, more cores definitely help. I can wait for a month or so. There is no point in buying i5 @ 22-23k, I should either wait for it or go with AMD way.

Does 430W PSU enough to handle the load if I add 3-4 internal and 2 external HDD?

Thanks @vyral_143
Any chances for cost come down for Intel proc. I had i5 8400 in mind as it have 6 cores and Intel cores are more powerful than AMD, this is what everyone say here. And if I have to run VMs, more cores definitely help. I can wait for a month or so. There is no point in buying i5 @ 22-23k, I should either wait for it or go with AMD way.

Does 430W PSU enough to handle the load if I add 3-4 internal and 2 external HDD?

2400G is 4 core 8 threads. You can take Ryzen 5 1600 which is 6 core 12 threads in same budget or Ryzen 5 2600 which is about 4 K more. But you need to add a GPU.

No idea about pricing coming down for Intel. AFAIK, single core performance would be less in AMD but multicore performance should be more for AMD.

430W looks okay for build without GPU. For more overhead, get 520W version which is 1K mroe.

What would be cost of a gpu suitable for usual task and some games?

Games life Fifa ? Entry level GPU, you could use, would be GT1030 at about 7K. Next VFM, IMO is GTX1050Ti at about 13K. It is enough for FHD gaming for like 1.5-2 years.

Back