Budget 31-40k PC for everyday work (some SketchUp, Android dev)

PerkedUp

Recruit
I am a bit of a noob on computer hardware. Looking for advice on upgrading my existing PC, or buying a new one.

A quick note about my existing desktop - Need to press the start button for 5 minutes (!) before it starts up. Now, it won't start at all. I guess it's the SMPS(?)

Being a branded PC (HCL year 2011), the repair guy told me it may not be possible to replace the SMPS - no spare parts available and HCL has stopped supporting it.

My question is two-fold:
1. Should I try to replace the existing SMPS to get it working again? All other components are functioning, but it is a bit slow.
2. Should I upgrade with brand new CPU, MoBo etc.? Will involve losing Win10 (upgraded) since the original Win 7 came with the machine.

As mentioned above, I do not know much about computer hardware. If I purchase components separately (say online or from primeabgb) do i need to assemble it myself? Or do they provide it assembled? Should I stick to branded PCs to avoid the inconvenience?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Model - HCL Ezeebee M A330 TRU
    • CPU - PDC E5500 2.8G 800M 2MB
    • Motherboard - Don't know
    • GPU - Don't know if it has one
    • RAM - 2GB DDR3 1066 PC3-8500
    • Monitor - Dell S1909W
    • PSU - TFX 200W 24PIN
    • HDD - Hitachi 320 GB 7200 RPM 3.5"HDD
    • DVD - 22X INT SATA DVD Writer
    • OS - Win 10 (Originally Win 7 Home Basic)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell S1909W
    • Keyboard (USB)
    • Mouse (USB)
    • HDD - if possible
    • DVD writer - if possible
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i3
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - Do I need one for SketchUp/Android dev?
    • PSU - Best Power Supply Units
    • RAM - 4GB (8GB if within budget)
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final config
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • SketchUp software for drawing
    • Some Android development
    • Casual gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No preference
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Star Wars Commander
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1280x720
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

Budget -37.8K
  • CPU - Intel Core i3 7100 -8500,
  • Motherboard - Asus H110M-K -4500,
  • RAM - Corsair Value Select 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -4500,
  • Monitor - LG 22MP68VQ-P -8500,
  • PSU - Antec VP550P -4000,
  • Cabinet - Antec GX300 -3500,
  • HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
  • KB/Mouse - Logitech MK200 -800.
  • TOTAL - 37,800.
Sell of the old entire system and get the above config.

Thanks bssunilreddy.
I will keep the monitor, kb and mouse, but I guess it won't change the cost by much since I would need to add a Win 10 OS.

Secondly, per my original question, who assembles this specific config (for the CPU) if I get the individual parts from a retailer?

Thanks all.

Thanks bssunilreddy.
I will keep the monitor, kb and mouse, but I guess it won't change the cost by much since I would need to add a Win 10 OS.

Secondly, per my original question, who assembles this specific config (for the CPU) if I get the individual parts from a retailer?

Thanks all.
The retailer himself has an assembler with each of them who assembles it for free.

Last edited:
Budget -37.8K
  • CPU - Intel Core i3 7100 -8500,
  • Motherboard - Asus H110M-K -4500,
  • RAM - Corsair Value Select 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -4500,
  • Monitor - LG 22MP68VQ-P -8500,
  • PSU - Antec VP550P -4000,
  • Cabinet - Antec GX300 -3500,
  • HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
  • KB/Mouse - Logitech MK200 -800.
  • TOTAL - 37,800.

Just wondering if the Core i3 7100 is compatible with the H110M-K? Will I need a BIOS update?

Also, is it better to buy these off Amazon or ebay? Prime I hear aren't very reliable anymore

Just wondering if the Core i3 7100 is compatible with the H110M-K? Will I need a BIOS update?

Also, is it better to buy these off Amazon or ebay? Prime I hear aren't very reliable anymore
The i3 7100 will be compatible with the H110M-K unless the Mobo is old stock. If the dealer is assembling, he will ensure this anyway. The small disadvantage of pairing a kabylake with the H110M chipset is that the mobo will clock your RAM at 2133 MHz even though the kabylake can support 2400 MHz RAM.
If you want to be able to exploit the 2400 MHz RAM, you will need the B250 chipset.

Back