Budget 71-90K PC for CAD/graphics rendering

wingrider767

Disciple
Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to pick up a desktop for Interior Design related work. Typically used programs include Adobe AutoCAD, 3DMAX, SketchUp Pro and other graphics rendering tools.
  1. What is your budget?
    • INR75K. Can stretch by another INR10-15k.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model
    • NA
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i7 5th Gen (Please recommend model number)
    • Motherboard - Please suggest a good Motherboard
    • GPU - NVidia Quadro series (K620 is good enough?)
    • RAM - 8GB or 16GB? DDR3 or DDR4? Please suggest.
    • Monitor - Looking at a 27-inch monitor. Please suggest.
    • PSU - Please suggest what would suit the requirement.
    • Drive - 180GB/256GB SSD depending on the budget. Not a lot of files will be stored in as there is another desktop which is used for data backup.
    • Case - Recommend a low budget VFM case. Nothing fancy. Just need to do the job.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No future upgrades
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • CAD and 3D rendering related work.
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. No specific preferences
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit. Might upgrade to Windows 10 later. Windows license will be procured separately
Looking forward to a quick response. Thanks guys.

• CPU - Intel core i7 6700K -27300,
  • Motherboard - Asus Z170 PC Mate -12500,
  • GPU - Leadtek Quadro K620 -13500,
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(4x4GB) 300Mhz -12500,
  • Monitor - AOC i2276VWM 22" LED IPS -8500,
  • PSU - Seasonic M12II 520 EVO Edition -5900,
  • Drive - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -8000,
  • Case - Corsair SPEC-01 -3500.
  • TOTAL -91,700.

Last edited:
Thanks @bssunilreddy.

A couple of quick questions:

Is there a non-K version of the core i7 6xxx series? Because based on my understanding, K series is for overclocking. I don't think this pc will ever be overclocked.

Is there a cheaper motherboard that I can look at? Since the PC won't be overclocked and won't be gamed on, I was hoping to get a lower priced motherboard.

Is DDR4 RAM worth the investment at the moment? Based on my quick research, the gains over DDR3 is only marginal.

I was looking at Dell 27" monitor E2715 or BenQ W2760 series. What's your take on this?

How good is the Cooler Master Elite 311 as a case for this config?

Is there a non-K version of the core i7 6xxx series? Because based on my understanding, K series is for overclocking. I don't think this pc will ever be overclocked.

Is there a cheaper motherboard that I can look at? Since the PC won't be overclocked and won't be gamed on, I was hoping to get a lower priced motherboard.

Is DDR4 RAM worth the investment at the moment? Based on my quick research, the gains over DDR3 is only marginal.

I was looking at Dell 27" monitor E2715 or BenQ W2760 series. What's your take on this?

How good is the Cooler Master Elite 311 as a case for this config?
1) Non-k version is not yet released.
2) MSI Z170 PC Mate @ 12.5k
3) Yes its future proof
4) Your budget does not allow for a 27" Monitor.
5) Its better to go with Corsair SPEC-01 @ 3.5k than with Cooler Master Elite 311.

you can consider a non-k haswell i7 (~20k). mobo's for under 10k can be found easily.
plus it can be paired with cheaper ddr3 memory. personally i see no reason to switch over to ddr4.
the corsair is a slightly better case as it's a bit bigger and has more slots for case fans but other than that the elite 311 is fine.
other brands you can consider are antec, nzxt and thermaltake.
the crucial bx100 ssd can also be considered. it's only slightly slower that the 850 evo and the 250gb model goes for ~6.5k-7k online.
for your monitor you can consider the dell s2240l (21.5") or the dell s2440l (24")
the extra money saved can be better spent on either a larger monitor or a better gpu.

please do careful research on the required gpu for cad as certain programs work really well on nvidia quadro cards while others on amd's firpro series. so choose based on the editing software that will be used the most. try to allocate as much of the budget towards the gpu as it's going to be the primary use of this build.

1) Non-k version is not yet released.
2) MSI Z170 PC Mate @ 12.5k
3) Yes its future proof
4) Your budget does not allow for a 27" Monitor.
5) Its better to go with Corsair SPEC-01 @ 3.5k than with Cooler Master Elite 311.
@bssunilreddy:
Thanks for the inputs. I think a Core i7 6xxx series will be out of budget for now as a large monitor is a must for this build. Plus, performance gains in the latest gen i7 doesn't seem to be significant enough to increase the budget. I'll consider the Corsair SPEC-01 for the case.

you can consider a non-k haswell i7 (~20k). mobo's for under 10k can be found easily.
plus it can be paired with cheaper ddr3 memory. personally i see no reason to switch over to ddr4.
the corsair is a slightly better case as it's a bit bigger and has more slots for case fans but other than that the elite 311 is fine.
other brands you can consider are antec, nzxt and thermaltake.
the crucial bx100 ssd can also be considered. it's only slightly slower that the 850 evo and the 250gb model goes for ~6.5k-7k online.
for your monitor you can consider the dell s2240l (21.5") or the dell s2440l (24")
the extra money saved can be better spent on either a larger monitor or a better gpu.

please do careful research on the required gpu for cad as certain programs work really well on nvidia quadro cards while others on amd's firpro series. so choose based on the editing software that will be used the most. try to allocate as much of the budget towards the gpu as it's going to be the primary use of this build.

@Crapmypants:
Thanks for the inputs.
A Haswell processor makes sense for this build because of budgetary constraints.
I agree with your view on the DDR4 RAM. Currently, it adds very little in value. Maybe a year down the line, with faster RAMs, it will make sense, at which point, the motherboard will need to be upgraded as well.
I'll try to include the Corsair SPEC01 in the build.
I'll stick to Crucial BX100 or Samsung 850EVO based on availability in the local stores.
A 27" monitor is a must in this build. Can't compromise on this.
I've done fair amount of research on the Workstation GPUs. Nvidia is overall better supported. The K620 will handle all the softwares that my friend will be using.

I'm considering the following build, based on your inputs and budgetary restrictions. Can you please run through this and see if this is OK? Especially the CPU, Motherboard and RAM combo.
  • CPU - Intel core i7 4790 - 23000
    • Alternatively, does the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 @ INR20000 make sense?
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H - 6000
    • In case of Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3, which motherboard?
  • GPU - Leadtek Quadro K620 - 13500
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8GB) 1600Mhz - 8000
  • Monitor - Dell 27" LED E2715H or BenQ GW2760HS -22500 or 17000 respectively
    • Trying to convince my friend to go for a Dell UltraSharp 24" monitor
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 Edition -5200
  • Drive - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Crucial BX100 - 8000 or 7000 respectively
  • Case - Corsair SPEC-01 CoolerMaster CM311 Elite - 3500 or 2700 respectively
  • K/B & Mouse - Logitech Combo - 800
Total comes upto ~INR90K.

Once again, thanks for the inputs guys.

• CPU - Intel core i7 4790 - 23000
    • Alternatively, does the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 @ INR20000 make sense?
yes, you can consider the xeon.
2 differences b/w them are a) the i7 has an igpu (not much use since you're adding a discrete card) and b) slightly higher clocks (~300-400mhz more) than the xeon.
the xeon is on the same lga1150 socket as haswell and should work on the same b85 board.

sorry, i didn't see the 27" requirement for the monitor so ignore what i suggested.
rest of the spec looks good.

Back