Budget 0-20k PC for basic tasks

Him

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
    • 2x 500 GB 2.5 mm hard drive
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • This is where I need help !
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Not planning to upgrade anything.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online would be good, local dealers here aren't that good.
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 720p would work.
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7/10
Note: I am building a desktop for the first time and this pc will be used by an middle aged non-tech savvy person.

Last edited:
CPU - Pentium G3240 - 3800
MB - Asus H81M-CS - 3400
RAM - DDR3 4GB - 1500 (Corsair or Kingston or G skill)
Monitor - Dell 18.5" - 5400
Cabinet & PSU - See if you can spend few thousands more to get a reasonably good PSU. If you can, get Antec BP300P for 1900/- and a generic cabinet (1000/-). If not, get a generic cabinet with PSU for about 1200/-
Total - 15300 or 17000 if you go for better PSU

I would suggest spending 1-1.5k extra and getting better PSU. It's one time investment. If you can get G3250 for few hundreds more, go for it.

Also if you extend your budget near 20K, you can get Skylake build.

Budget -21.8k (Skylake Build)

CPU - Intel Pentium G4400 - 4800,
MB - Asus H110M-K - 5500,
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz - 2900,
Monitor - Dell E1914H 18.5" LED - 5600
Cabinet -Zebronics VENT -1100,
PSU -Antec BP350P -1900.
TOTAL -21,800.

Last edited:
CPU - Pentium G3240 - 3800
MB - Asus H81M-CS - 3400
RAM - DDR3 4GB - 1500 (Corsair or Kingston or G skill)
Monitor - Dell 18.5" - 5400
Cabinet & PSU - See if you can spend few thousands more to get a reasonably good PSU. If you can, get Antec BP300P for 1900/- and a generic cabinet (1000/-). If not, get a generic cabinet with PSU for about 1200/-
Total - 15300 or 17000 if you go for better PSU
Thanks, I'll go for a better psu. I'm not getting the Antec BP300P, my options are cooler master CM350 plus, Corsair VS350 and Antec BP350PS. Which one I should get ?
I would suggest spending 1-1.5k extra and getting better PSU. It's one time investment. If you can get G3250 for few hundreds more, go for it.

Also if you extend your budget near 20K, you can get Skylake build.
The person I'm building this pc is a non-tech savvy one and his cpu usage never goes above 30% even with pentium mobile processor, so is it worth going for Skylake build ?
Budget -21.8k (Skylake Build)

CPU - Intel Pentium G4400 - 4800,
MB - Asus H110M-K - 5500,
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz - 2900,
Monitor - Dell E1914H 18.5" LED - 5600
Cabinet -Zebronics VENT -1100,
PSU -Antec BP350P -1900.
TOTAL -21,800.
Thanks but the MB you mentioned is not widely available online.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll go for a better psu. I'm not getting the Antec BP300P, my options are cooler master CM350 plus, Corsair VS350 and Antec BP350PS. Which one I should get ?
Okay, if you can't find it then go for either Corsair VS350 or Antec BP350PS.

For low end build, you can be better off with any offering from Circle, VIP, etc. One of post above suggests Zebronics Vent which is near 1000 mark.

For low end build that is quite costly cabinet. Instead, I would suggest getting regular cabinet around 1K mark, and utilize those 2K on some other thing.

Is the skylake build you mentioned same as the one posted above by bssunilreddy ?

Yes, it is more or less same. From that config, if you go for 4GB RAM now and upgrade to 8GB later, most probably you would be spending near 20K; which is nearly 2.5K more than what you would be spending on Haswell build.

Yes, it is more or less same. From that config, if you go for 4GB RAM now and upgrade to 8GB later, most probably you would be spending near 20K; which is nearly 2.5K more than what you would be spending on Haswell build.
I'm going with Skylake build due to improved graphics performance and lower power consumption. I have increased my budget to 20K. I couldn't find the MB mentioned in the above Skylake build. Do you have any other MBs in mind ? How about MSI H110M PRO - VH ? It costs 5K.

I would suggest getting Asus mobo over Gigabyte and MSI. Gigabyte have below average after sales service and MSI is quite poor. I could find listed mobo online at https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asus+H110M-K+32GB+DDR4+Intel+Motherboard_C13P26456.html. Locally prices would vary little.
I have no experience with theitdepot but I'm getting another asus motherboard on ebay for 6k with coupon http://www.ebay.in/itm/ASUS-H110M-D...977511?hash=item3f61286767:g:4QsAAOSw~oFXEPR4 is it good ?

Last edited:
That motherboard looks good too. I have purchased couple of items with Theitwares. They are reliable to deal with. If you run out of eBay coupon, this is direct link for TheITwares.

That motherboard looks good too. I have purchased couple of items with Theitwares. They are reliable to deal with. If you run out of eBay coupon, this is direct link for TheITwares.
Thanks dude, I ordered that mobo and pentium g4400. Btw do I need to buy seperate speakers and wifi card for desktops or are they built in like laptops ?

Thanks dude, I ordered that mobo and pentium g4400. Btw do I need to buy seperate speakers and wifi card for desktops or are they built in like laptops ?

Welcome !
You would need separate of them. Generic USB WiFi dongles/cards come as cheap as 300. For speakers, depending on need choices would vary.

Back