Budget 0-20k PC for 24x7 downloading purpose...

Waited for varkey to reply.

After gone reading for 2 days for Pogoplug/Pi/Asus RT N13 .... thinking of buying the asus one...

reasons,

- buying pogoplug/pi seems difficult as they are with customs and all, never bought from overseas sites..
- price
- installation...

honestly i have following things in current setup,
- hp laptop win xp (sp2), iconnect broadband 1 mbps (ul plan) dlink router
So, does these things add something in my purpose?

Thanks,
Pavan

You do not need to worry about customs for any of these. varkey sold the GoFlexHome, iBhejo for the Pogoplug, ASUS router look at the local shops. Element14/RS India for the Pi.

@pavan547

watching your thread. Pls share what do you take last.
I am checking out Pogoplug..

Are you lookng at smething which just downloads or downloads + Play on LCD ?

Pogoplug is very good device for downloading purpose as well as media server aka NAS , but i am not using mine these days and it's collecting dust on the table.

I am thinking of selling it :unsure:

And if you want to build an AMD E350 machine, look for a cut down version called the E350D. It has and A45 FCH instead of the A50, which means no USB3, neither does it have SATA III aka SATA 6Gbps. Also, it loses the 4x PCIe for a PCI slot. But at 4.2K for a new APU with mobo, it looks superb.

Else there is a PDC plus H61 combo selling for 4.5K in TE market.

The hdd constraint is set by filesystem you use with ext4 you can have more than 2PB attached ;)

With ext4 torrent hash check is extremely fast with transmission.And I was able to download 10 torrents easily though not recommend but why would one do so queueing is better option.The read and write speed on rt 13 was 7-8 Mb

Don't recommend pi since the firmware is still dodgy.

android phones, if you are downloading on Transmission

do you mean if I get device with Transmission (i guess Asus RT N13 and Pogoplug) I can browse and add torrent from my galaxy s2 itself ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Or you can have a look at the HTPC I am selling AMD E350 ( Asus e351M1 pro)

not sure does that serves my purpose without any considerable power bills !!

Pogoplug is very good device for downloading purpose as well as media server aka NAS , but i am not using mine these days and it's collecting dust on the table.

I am thinking of selling it

Let me know where and what price you are buying from.

Anyone from Pune, having Raspberry pi / Pogoplug /Asus Rt N13 using it for torrent downloads, let me.. I will be thankful to see the device working personally.

Purchased 500 gb for my laptop yesterday so already pockets are 4k lighter...

And yes, I appreciate the suggestions given by all.. Thanks All.

yes, you can add torrents from your S II , and manage them too.
And asus 351M1 pro, will not consume much power, if you want i can use kill a watt power meter and check how much it consumes.

And then you will have a thread for HDD @ cheap prices, you will fill up TB of HDD in no time

But you see if you have always available fast broadband then personally i would not go filling my HDDs, rather stream the content when i want to watch or download as per the need. It is not like the connection is going anywhere or is limited for a time.
Like when i had BSNL 3G Unlimited it was only for 6 months so i filled my HDD but being in US i had 15 Mbps unlimited so i almost never downloaded anything, rather streamed or downloaded on need basis.

But given the power situation in TamilNadu , except Chennai, we don't know when we will have power and when we won't, so... Streaming is out of question, downloading on has is the option we have and so every one in the house can watch it on tabs/phones

@pawan547 ....check pm

I have a Seagate Goflex Nas for sale, from varkey. I never got around to using it as today my new-rig serves my purpose + mostly stuck at work 24/7.

Cheers
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
@pavan547 : i am not buying it from anywhere , i am saying that i am thinking of selling it as i don't download much these days.

when i started this thread i was thinking the device will be rarest and now i got almost 3 options to go with...

I am thankful to all suggestions and offers provided by all users.

With multiple options in hand and doubtful about ability to install using Linux, i am quite confused !

But i will take my chances hoping you guys are there to help all along.
@Nalin sent you PM...

Back