PayTM duplicate transactions

I have been using paytm wallet to make purchases for quite some time now.
Recently noticed that for some of my transactions, the money is getting deducted from my wallet twice.
The timestamps on these transactions are almost in the exact same second.
I called up the CC number mentioned in their website and surprised to find that they had an IVRS option for the exact same money deducted twice issue. The resolution provided by the IVRS system was - "Ask the merchant to send back the amount to you".
I mean WTH!!! Is it the buyer's/merchant's fault that the paytm app is buggy and makes these duplicate transactions.
So then I emailed them giving all details and asking for a refund. They reply was something like :-

"We are happy to assist you.We would like to inform you that your transaction of INR XXX and rs XXX against transaction id 5XXXXX5 and 5XXXX3 is successful on 05 Jan 2017.for further assistance kindly contact to your receiver.
Should you need any further assistance, let us know."

I replied saying that the seller is refusing to refund and says that he has way too many transactions to keep track of them and asked to contact paytm to resolve it.
To this I received the same automated email again.

Now what to do? They don't have any grievance or upper management email ids..
Any other pointers to help??

Do charge back on cc. Tell the cc that you were billed twice for the same item. Once enough complaints come up against Paytm, the cc gateway will either increase the cost Paytm has to pay them or put some pressure on Paytm. If Paytm has their own cc gateway then nothing will happen. Just think these guys are opening a bank like system now. :O

Who are these vendors? I use paytm only for uber and zopnow. Never bothered to check detailed statements.
They are the normal grocery and vegetable shops.. Due to cash shortage, everyone is now accepting paytm nowadays..
I also didn't bother to check statements until suddenly I saw the sms from paytm saying payment is successful twice..
Then went back to check the statement and found the duplicate transaction.. Also realized that I needed to mention something in the comments for tracking the transaction in future, else it looks like a big mess..[DOUBLEPOST=1484033512][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW guys cc means "customer care" right? :p

Once enough complaints come up against Paytm, the cc gateway will either increase the cost Paytm has to pay them or put some pressure on Paytm. If Paytm has their own cc gateway then nothing will happen.

I didn't understand this part.. :(

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 926
Yes cc means customer care.

I didn't understand this part.

Most sites take resources of a payment gateway (like banks own gateways or 3rd party providers like bill junction etc) to verify credit/debit/ bank transactions. Every charge back amounts to time and resource spent by the credit card provider who has to look at the transactions to verify the claims and give back money. It means spending extra money out of the credit card company's pocket which they don't like. So when they get lots of credit card charge backs from one merchant (like Paytm in this instance) they will start taking additional fees from Paytm and may even force Paytm to deal with the losses etc. Paytm or any other merchant has lots to lose if the gateway suddenly starts charging them extra for every transaction. So they will try to remove any bugs in their system. Of course, if Paytm is using their own gateway, they don't have anything to fear other than people leaving them completely.

Ok.. but in this case, paytm wallet is completely maintained by the company itself.. The 3rd party could have been involved if the transactions had any problem while adding money to the paytm wallet..
But issue in this case is that paytm wallet to another wallet transactions have the problem, which is outside the scope of any 3rd party.. :(
Anyways I'm still waiting for their reply to my query for asking the details of grievance authority or higher management.. Will wait a few more days and then approach them on social media..

I wanted to know if the "PGPortal" can be used in such cases for private companies, or that is just for public sector?

Golden rule, Never maintain cash or balance in PayTM, just connect it with your Bank account or CC, I have it connected via CC, so even though I have zero balance in PayTM, I can pay via the bank account or CC connected to it. It's little bit of more hassle but Safe because you need to authenticate every single payment.

*CC=Credit Card ;)

Last edited:
Golden rule, Never maintain cash or balance in PayTM, just connect it with your Bank account or CC, I have it connected via CC, so even though I have zero balance in PayTM, I can pay via the bank account or CC connected to it. It's little bit of more hassle but Safe because you need to authenticate every single payment.

*CC=Credit Card ;)

Yup.. Going to do the same once the paytm wallet is emptied..
Lesson already learned the hard way..

Ok.. but in this case, paytm wallet is completely maintained by the company itself.. The 3rd party could have been involved if the transactions had any problem while adding money to the paytm wallet..
But issue in this case is that paytm wallet to another wallet transactions have the problem, which is outside the scope of any 3rd party.. :(
Anyways I'm still waiting for their reply to my query for asking the details of grievance authority or higher management.. Will wait a few more days and then approach them on social media..

Yup, realised it after reading your post. All these payment wallets have this huge drawback in them. You've already given them your money. They won't care now.

*CC=Credit Card ;)

How do you connect the CC to the Paytm wallet? I can't seem to find that option in the app. I only see the option to add funds from the saved card to the wallet.

I'm fed up with the response the CC guys are giving on email.. Attaching the email communications..
Contacted them on twitter last night but yet to get any proper response..
Is it easier to file a consumer case these days??

Attachments

• Gmail - Ref _ 17788558 Your Query with Paytm Care (SF).pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Gmail - Ref _ 18153361 Your Query with Paytm Care (SF).pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 405
Paytm fiasco finally ended today morning.. Got the refund amount as "a special gesture" :meh:..
But still they didn't admit that the fault was with their app payment.. I also think they would not have deducted the amount from the receiver's end..
Anyways lesson learnt, will never maintain a positive paytm balance anymore, rather would top it up everytime I make any transaction..

Back