Budget 41-50k Nvidia 940x vs mx150 suggestion for laptop

Rahul6391

Recruit
After lot of researching I have come down to acer aspire 5 A515-51G model that fits my requirements but this series has lots of variants and has me confused
My requirements are for professional work, watching movies, multimedia and very light gaming(only fifa to be precise)

There are two models
1.Nvidia 940x GD, has backlit keyboard and 1920x1080p display
2.mx150 GD, NO backlit keyboard and 1366x768p display

The rest specs are same in both i.e 8gb ram, i58th Gen, 1tb HDD, windows 10 etc

I know mx 150 is better than 940x but the display and no backlit keyboard holds me back to go for it. Suggestion would be appreciated

Pros of 940 laptop:
1. Miles better display (1080p).
2. Backlit Keyboard
3. Fifa will still run on 940mx.

Cons of 940 laptop:
1. Will not run many games which mx150 will run.

Pros of MX150 laptop:
1. Will run most of the games on native 768p resolution.

Cons of MX150 laptop:
1. 768p on a 2018 laptop is a joke.
2. No backlit keyboard.

I think you should go with the 940 in this case. Even intel HD graphics with 8th gen are on par with 940 so you can look at that as well.

Pros of 940 laptop:
1. Miles better display (1080p).
2. Backlit Keyboard
3. Fifa will still run on 940mx.

Cons of 940 laptop:
1. Will not run many games which mx150 will run.

Pros of MX150 laptop:
1. Will run most of the games on native 768p resolution.

Cons of MX150 laptop:
1. 768p on a 2018 laptop is a joke.
2. No backlit keyboard.

I think you should go with the 940 in this case. Even intel HD graphics with 8th gen are on par with 940 so you can look at that as well.

Thank you for your response yes had inclination towards 940x coz of display. Any other laptops would you recommend in this price range with similar features

41k to 51k
I had the same dilemma and same budget as yours 3-4 months back. I picked up an Asus Vivobook s15 which has i5 8250u, 8GB DDR4 RAM and MX 150 graphics card. It has a 15.6 inch full HD screen which is a gem. Viewing angles are great and the bezel is very thin which makes the laptop smaller than other 15.6 inch laptops. It weights 1.7KG and is half the thickness of a normal laptop. Also has backlit keyboard.

Only cons are that the battery life with low load is 4-5 hours which I feel is a bit low and it gets a little warm while playing games.

I had the same dilemma and same budget as yours 3-4 months back. I picked up an Asus Vivobook s15 which has i5 8250u, 8GB DDR4 RAM and MX 150 graphics card. It has a 15.6 inch full HD screen which is a gem. Viewing angles are great and the bezel is very thin which makes the laptop smaller than other 15.6 inch laptops. It weights 1.7KG and is half the thickness of a normal laptop. Also has backlit keyboard.

Only cons are that the battery life with low load is 4-5 hours which I feel is a bit low and it gets a little warm while playing games.

How much did it cost? Isn't it arnd 63k?

After lot of researching I have come down to acer aspire 5 A515-51G model that fits my requirements but this series has lots of variants and has me confused
My requirements are for professional work, watching movies, multimedia and very light gaming(only fifa to be precise)

There are two models
1.Nvidia 940x GD, has backlit keyboard and 1920x1080p display
2.mx150 GD, NO backlit keyboard and 1366x768p display

The rest specs are same in both i.e 8gb ram, i58th Gen, 1tb HDD, windows 10 etc

I know mx 150 is better than 940x but the display and no backlit keyboard holds me back to go for it. Suggestion would be appreciated

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire-5-core-i5-8th-gen-8-gb-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home-2-gb-graphics-a515-51g-laptop/p/itmf3j3vufg5zrhn

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently Acer aspire 5 is the best laptop you will get under 5000.

So does it tops the list of best laptop under 5000,

But of course your taste could be different.. Its up to you what you chose dear.

Nice but I guess my budget won't be allowing that much . Still acer aspire 5 is good eniugh in under 50k price range right?

Acer aspire 5 is also a very good well-rounded laptop. Go for it.

Also, if you can wait a bit, there will be Ryzen 5 laptops in the market very soon. Ryzen 2500 is on par with i5 8250 and its integrated GPU (Vega) is on par with 940x. There will be options under 50k.

how is the laptop build quality and do you recommend buying this model ... looking for a laptop similar config

Acer aspire 5 is also a very good well-rounded laptop. Go for it.

Also, if you can wait a bit, there will be Ryzen 5 laptops in the market very soon. Ryzen 2500 is on par with i5 8250 and its integrated GPU (Vega) is on par with 940x. There will be options under 50k.

Can you tell the nearest possible release date according to you?

Can you tell the nearest possible release date according to you?

I would like to know this too. The lack of Ryzen processor based SKUs in the market almost makes it look like we might be mirroring the Athlon 64x2 days.

Also, more on the point on which GPU is better between the Geforce 940M and MX150, check out this comparison on notebookcheck.net. The latter is a better SKU overall. Can you hold off on any purchases till more offerings are available in the market with a more balanced spec chart?

Last edited:
Back