Laptops Normal GPU Temperature ?

n1tesh

Disciple
I think my laptop is running too hot while playing games. What is normal GPU temperature ?
This are the results while playing GTA V.

svtpxg.jpg

Max : 93

Laptop ::GE60 2QE APACHE PRO

Last edited:
Gta 5 is a hardware hogger game no doubt. People still struggle to get it work on their desktops unless its packed with a new breed of gpu and cpu combo.
Anyways, seems bit high esp. running GTA 5 on laptop.
Should have been in the range of 65-85c.

Is your laptop properly ventilated or you sue it on bed or something which blocks its exhaust?

Gta 5 is a hardware hogger game no doubt. People still struggle to get it work on their desktops unless its packed with a new breed of gpu and cpu combo.
Anyways, seems bit high esp. running GTA 5 on laptop.
Should have been in the range of 65-85c.

Is your laptop properly ventilated or you sue it on bed or something which blocks its exhaust?

I keep it on desk all the time. Nothing is blocking the exhaust.[DOUBLEPOST=1435781591][/DOUBLEPOST]MSI Kombustor 3 - Benchmark test

2hehrid.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1435784562][/DOUBLEPOST]3DMARK 11 Test

28jjl29.png

Last edited:
What are the idle temps and the CPU temps while gaming?

AFAIK, I had once opened up my friend's asus laptop (i7 + gt740m) for cleaning dust, I found lot of dust near the air vents which were blocking proper airflow...
Then I noticed the most disappointing thing, the processor and the gpu were connected to a single copper heat sink which was running through them to the fan... So it meant that the heat from both the processor and gpu were responsible for the overall higher temps of individual components...

So in case your CPU is also running at full capacity during gaming, i fear there is not much you can do about it... Try reducing the background jobs to reduce CPU usage...
Also if you are confident, you could open up the back cover and do some cleaning..

the game itself is taxing on all systems but 90+ degrees is high.

Then I noticed the most disappointing thing, the processor and the gpu were connected to a single copper heat sink which was running through them to the fan... So it meant that the heat from both the processor and gpu were responsible for the overall higher temps of individual components...
can't say about gaming laptops but i think this is done on almost all mainstream laptops. i've seen this on an acer, a dell and an hp laptops that i've had over the years. the most one could hope for is a heat pipe or two but that's it. a single fan is also common due to space limitations.

Cleaning dust will help (depends on how much dust) but opening up a laptop is a little trickier than a desktop. be sure to look up a youtube video before attempting for the first time.

cooling pads are an option but i have no experience at how effective they are if at all.

@swagatrath @Crapmypants

Can't open the laptop, it will void warranty. Its just a week old laptop so I dont think dust maybe the issue.
CPU temperature is ~80 Max and at idle its ~45.

I think the problem is maybe bcoz I play GTA V on Ultra Settings :p
This are the results after playing Fifa. Which looks normal.
61 Max

2sbk9og.png

i don't know if lowering the settings will lower the heat output as the core and cpu will still run at their rated frequencies. you could try underclocking if that's possible.
have you tried other games? what kind of temps do you see there?

i don't know if lowering the settings will lower the heat output as the core and cpu will still run at their rated frequencies. you could try underclocking if that's possible.
have you tried other games? what kind of temps do you see there?

Fifa 14 on Max settings - 61

Idle temps are good and the lappy is new... So dust is not the factor here...
cooling pads are an option but i have no experience at how effective they are if at all.
We had tried one of them from cooler master.. It was around rs 500 and was absolutely sh*t... No difference to the temps... I'm not sure about the high end costly ones which cost 1400-1500... OP can check the bottom of the laptop and if it is too hot, these cooling pads might help...

But like crapmypants suggested, if you are getting good gaming performance at stocks, may be try underclocking the GPU and increase the FAN rpm if possible using the afterburner...
90C + temps are not good for the components on the long run... Its also good that you are not experiencing any throttling yet...

@swagatrath

I have Cooler Master Notepal X3. Will test using that but I thought MSI Cooler boost must be enough for cooling.

This are the results after playing NFS Rivals

fn5t9w.png

207mjnp.png

heating up on gta v but not as much with nfs and fifa.
the gpu usage is not hitting 100% with nfs and fifa. how high is cpu usage going?
i think it might be the cpu that's the cause of the excess heat as we know that gta v is quite a bit more cpu dependent than most games.
This is a problem i suppose due to the single fan and heat sink design of laptops further compounded by the small enclosure.
can you download coretemp/cpu-z and check how high the i7 goes during gta v? if my theory is correct then you will notice the cpu's temp rise faster than the gpu's.

If all else fails, go with 'Plan B':
laptop-cooler-stickynote-te.jpg

Ideal temperatures, even on max load is below 85 Degree C.
If you laptop is running above it, try to reduce it or get a check-up done for any faulty parts.
Running beyond 90 consistently can get the GPU to blow off.

Ideal temperatures, even on max load is below 85 Degree C.
If you laptop is running above it, try to reduce it or get a check-up done for any faulty parts.
Running beyond 90 consistently can get the GPU to blow off.

Temperature drops in secs when GPU usage falls below 98% and I don't think there is some problem with laptop.
Temperature is totally depending on GPU usage, if GPU usage is 75% then temp is ~71.

The MSI GS series has a max temperature of ~100 degrees celcius. 92 degrees is about where you will find the GS series to be under heavy load, because of the thin, high performance design. You can purchase cooling stands that will typically lower your temperature 5-10 degrees.
Quote from Laptopmag
Quote:

Heat

When we ran the Laptop Heat Test (streaming a full-screen Hulu video for 15 minutes), the touchpad and the space between the G and H keys measured 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The underside of the notebook measured 94 degrees, just below our 95-degree comfort threshold. Toward the rear of the GS70, near the hinge, we saw a temperature of 98 degrees.

MSI outfitted the GS70 with a dual fan thermal cooling system. When it's time to game, the two fans draw in cool air via the air intake atop the keyboard deck. From there, hot air is blown out through the vents on the sides of the notebook. While we were plundering ancient tombs and taking out baddies, the GS70's fans were surprisingly quiet.

We put the cooling system to the test with a playthrough of "Tomb Raider." After 15 minutes, the touchpad and the space between the G and H keys measured 87 and 94 degrees. The notebook's underside hit 111, while the hinge stayed at 98 degrees. The Razer Blade wasn't quite as hot, hitting 108 degrees on the bottom, 86 in the middle of the keyboard and 99 on the touchpad.

This is a quote from the gs70 model, but they both use the same cooling style.
Quote from hexus.com. This is a gs60 overview
Quote:

Throughout our performance benchmarking, we noticed that increased CPU or GPU load would cause the WiFi to dropout. We've thus far been unable to find a root cause, and heat doesn't appear to be too much of a problem - during testing we recorded maximum CPU and GPU temperatures of 80ºC and 76ºC, respectively, which is well within the limits. The laptop becomes warm to the touch but not particularly hot.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436279916][/DOUBLEPOST]https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161235.0

Should I apply this settings and give a try ?

The readings above 90 in the first article you have quoted is in 'Fahrenheit'...
Also the second article is saying max is 80C... So in your case its running too hot...
Take your laptop to a shop where they sell the coolers, test out a few of them and get one if possible...

The readings above 90 in the first article you have quoted is in 'Fahrenheit'...
Also the second article is saying max is 80C... So in your case its running too hot...
Take your laptop to a shop where they sell the coolers, test out a few of them and get one if possible...

I have Cooler Master's cooling pad. Will try temp with it

I think my laptop is running too hot while playing games. What is normal GPU temperature ?
This are the results while playing GTA V.

svtpxg.jpg

Max : 93

Laptop ::GE60 2QE APACHE PRO

Asus gl552jx reaches a max of 88C cpu and 76C gpu on prime stress test, room temperature 28C, humidity >80%.

While gaming straight for 8 hrs the max Temps reach are 84c cpu and 75c gpu at similar room Temps.

I use a cheapo zebronics nc3500 cooling pad.

The notepal x3 that you are using has one of the best fans in laptop cooling pads, it actually blows a lot of air-close to 60cfm.

And don't use fifa for checking the temps or stress, that game is designed to run on Intel hd graphics so is the target audience.

Last edited:
Back