Nirbhaya documentary: Why Javed Akhtar, Anu Aga's views differ completely

New Delhi: The barefaced rapist Mukesh Singh’s BBC interview wouldn’t finally see the light on March 8, Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.

The government decision came after the slanderous comments made by the convict in the interview provoked wide-spread condemnation from various quarters.

“I was personally hurt by this, spoke to authorities, made sure all steps taken to stop broadcast. The condition was given to shoot the interview for social purpose and not for commercial use. Will make sure the necessary action would be taken & a probe would be conducted,” Rajnath Singh said.

The statement of Rajnath was however disapproved by MPs like Javed Akhtar and Anu Aga who demanded the airing of documentary as rendering it to the masses would only go on to demonstrate who all back the views of Mukesh.

“It is good that this film was made, it will reveal how many men think like Nirbhaya's rapist,” Javed Akhtar asserted.

Voicing a similar opinion, Anu Aga appealed in the House to confront the odious thoughts that still prevail in the mindset of men in society.

“I conceive who gave the permission but the reality is what the man spoke reflects views of many men in India. Why we are shying about it? We are not confronting the issues. Suggesting death penalty is not the answer. We have to confront the issue that many men in India do not respect women. Every time a rape happens, the victim is blamed to have provoked the men. Let’s be aware of the view and not pretend all is well,” she said.

Mukesh Singh, one of the convicts of the December 16, 2012 gangrape of the 23-year-old woman on a moving bus in Delhi, blamed the victim for the sexual assault on her.

He said girls who go out at night are to be blamed as they attract the attention of molesters.

"When being raped, she shouldn't fight back. She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they'd have dropped her off after 'doing her', and only hit the boy," added the merciless convict.

The interview was scheduled to be telecast by BBC-4 on International Women's Day coming Sunday.

Source

I was delighted to see the vigor with which Javed Akhtar spoke. Such questions are as obvious as the answers themselves. We have successfully shielded discussions to come up at national level because we are yet to break that barrier.

While i am fully of the opinion that the documentary should have been aired and repeatedly so, is the Indian level good enough to allow the cobwebs of the psyche get cleaned up upon viewing such content? I personally believe it had the potential to turn ugly since we have a high number of people (females included) who dont have basic sense/value for the quality of life.

Last edited:
its a documentary. it is ethical for the documentary film maker to document events without bias or judgement and get to the absolute bottom of the story. if it is offensive to a specific group of people. they should not watch it. In this case only after the documentary was made, we get to know whats in the mind of the killer and his lawyer. (I seriously wonder why the lawyer is still free and not in a jail.)

banning this film is only to run away from the truth. will not help fixing the core problem. The more people discuss this the better for society.

^^ I cannot agree more to that. Trying to hide the crime and the mentality/mindsets that went behind it is not going to help anyone.

It is laughable and beyond pathetic how various people and groups and even the courts are trying to portray as if they are against the telecast of this video for the sake of Nirbhaya or her family. I am well were that the only reason everybody is against it is because it is going to show India and Indian male mentality in a poor light (that it fully deserves) and would hurt the egos break the delusions of glory and grandeur that people in this country so love to have.

If the makers of the documentary have broken any laws, rules in order to make this, by all means punish them, but do not try to use it as an excuse to stifle the truth.

Anybody who care a bit about what happened to this poor girl and that it should be prevented at all costs in future would take this sort of documentary seriously and support it to be telecast.

The fact that these criminals are still even alive to give an interview after such a heinous crime and the way they and their lawyers are trying to defend it in the name of Indian culture shows not only the pathetic prehistoric thinking that the people in this country are clinging to, but also the poor state of law and justice system in the country. Let the country be shamed over this if it at least initiates a change for the betterment of the country in the long run (though I am not too hopeful of happening looking at the way majority of the people want the truth to be suppressed to stoke their own egos)

Do not trust 'Freedom of speech' activists too much. Everyone one has an agenda. Truth, even when told most plainly, can have a bias.

The western media has already managed to equate muslims with terrorists. Result, widespread discrimination against them in totally unrelated areas.

Those old enough will remember how the westen countries and media hounded the chinese for 'Religious freedom', 'Human rights about' and other blah.

Indian = Rapist would be a good addition to their arsenal to fight against Indians.

Every country/society controls the message about itself. India too should play the game to its advantage.

I am not saying we do not have a problem, but do not allow the activist types to set the narrative and drag you down.

EDIT: In 1927, Katherine Mayo wrote a book Mother India attacking Indian society and its culture. Technically it only claimed to document the reality, but the subtext was that Indians are unfit to rule themselves. Gandhi appropriately called it 'Drain inspector report'.

If anyone believes the western media is only interested in 'Truth', they should visit a psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Actually Indians gets their jimmies rustled when some westerners points a problem in our glorious country.

example: when Obama said about religious intolerance.

Same is happening now. Instead of the message, we attack the messenger. and will make it a nationalism issue. Now goal posts have been shifted and India is free of rapes. Lets attack westerners and on their problems. Thats how it is in India.

Last edited:
its a documentary. it is ethical for the documentary film maker to document events without bias or judgement and get to the absolute bottom of the story. if it is offensive to a specific group of people. they should not watch it. In this case only after the documentary was made, we get to know whats in the mind of the killer and his lawyer. (I seriously wonder why the lawyer is still free and not in a jail.)

banning this film is only to run away from the truth. will not help fixing the core problem. The more people discuss this the better for society.
couldn't agree more. and its sad that many men and women hold same retarded views.

Actually Indians gets their jimmies rustles when some westerners points a problem in our glorious country.

example: when Obama said about religious intolerance.

Why only Indians? You probably didn't hear the reaction of American commentators to this statement of Obama (he was equating ISIS with christian crusaders)

"Lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

Last edited:
Truth, even when told most plainly, can have a bias.
Well, this has to be decided by the people who watch this. not by the govt for all.
The western media has already managed to equate muslims with terrorists. Result, widespread discrimination against them in totally unrelated areas.
Thats a generic statement. you are grouping all the media agencies together. Did you try to watch RT, Aljazeera,VICE on the same issues?
Indian = Rapist would be a good addition to their arsenal to fight against Indians.
The same people will get more weapons in their arsenal if the film is banned. We should improve the image of "Indian" by actions not by censoring and blocking information.
If anyone believes the western media is interested in 'Truth', they should visit a psychiatrist.
Anyone who denies any report without even watching it should too.. more so.

btw, I am appalled by your thoughts. :(

^^^ Since when as Al-jazeera become a western media?[DOUBLEPOST=1425539507][/DOUBLEPOST]
We should improve the image of "Indian" by actions not by censoring and blocking information.

Like how the US *improved* itself after Snowden revealed its dirty secrets?

Lets get it clear. No country wants to look bad in public. We too should put every effort towards it. Both in appearance and in substance.

Like how the US *improved* itself after Snowden revealed its dirty secrets?
The issue is not about US right? its about India's govt. Lets not compare to pat our-self on the back. to simply put, Lets not say that we are much better than Pakistan and Saudi w.r.t to equality for women and dismiss the issue.
Lets get it clear. No country wants to look bad in public. We too should put every effort towards it. Both in appearance and in substance.
So whats next? make a "Red OS" and become North Korea?

Do not trust 'Freedom of speech' activists too much. Everyone one has an agenda. Truth, even when told most plainly, can have a bias.

Those old enough will remember how the westen countries and media hounded the chinese for 'Religious freedom', 'Human rights about' and other blah.

Every country/society controls the message about itself. India too should play the game to its advantage.

I am not saying we do not have a problem, but do not allow the activist types to set the narrative and drag you down.

EDIT: In 1927, Katherine Mayo wrote a book Mother India attacking Indian society and its culture. Technically it only claimed to document the reality, but the subtext was that Indians are unfit to rule themselves. Gandhi appropriately called it 'Drain inspector report'.

If anyone believes the western media is only interested in 'Truth', they should visit a psychiatrist.

^^ Like many others in the country, yours is the kind of mentality and attitude that also plays a role in encouraging such crimes and other big problems to remain. Trying to down play the problems in the country, justifying the ill practices in the name of culture and heritage and blaming everybody else for bringing bad name (which I daresay our country quite often deserves) and wanting to rewrite our history to make it look good and reveling in it.

Yes, activists often over do things for dramatic effect. But in this particular case, its not like they are faking the interview. These are words spoken by these criminals and their lawyers. Absolutely nothing wrong in dragging it out into the open.

Also, Indian = Rapist is nearly being proved right by the numbers. By official figures there is a rape recorded every 20 min in this country. Also going by the estimation that less than 10% of the rapes ever get reported, so on average there is at least one rape happening every 2 min in the country.

Still, its quite amazing to see what lengths the people in our country go to justify or down play genuine problems instead of accepting them and trying to find solutions.

Indians are the only people in the world that I have seen trying to actively justify heinous things like female foeticide, rape, dowry system and domestic violence over it, bonded labor, forced prostitution and all sorts of discriminatory practices in the name of culture and heritage or helping people. Before the British made moves to abolish Sati system, there were rampart protests by Indians to stop it from being abolished.

I mean its not like some of these issues like discrimination don't exist in other countries, but there at least won't be enough people trying to actively justify these sort of things with absurd reasoning instead of condemning them.

My sister who is working in US witnessed a debate between a US employee who read some books about Indian and was curious about female foeticide and why such a thing even exists and got so disgusted after seeing how these girls were trying to justify this act to that guy that see broke all ties with them. In fact many of the American employees both male and female were also disgusted who how these girls were trying to justify the wrongs against their gender in their country.

They may be under the false impression that its patriotism, but such brazen arguments and denying the truth is far from it. There is no bigger disservice to the country than downplaying or justifying such things.

One more favorite argument that people in our country often use is blaming everything on "western culture". But in reality, India based civilizations are much much older than everything else and everything bad that exists in western cultures have often originated and been in India since several millenniums before the west had anything more than nomads and then propagated to the west.

Same is happening now. Instead of the message, we attack the messenger. ... Thats how it is in India.

Bullseye... Avi

And it is not a new thing. It shows incompetency, insecurity and lack to courage to fight. People always blame what's easier to point finger at.

@Nemesis
Chill. BBC, like many other news agency, is as much a propaganda organization as it is a news agency . Do not take them too seriously.

Do not underestimate media's ability to create new realities. Change the focus slightly and you get a completely different story. One could as easily have documented the widespread protests (by both men and women) that took place after the rape and gotten a completely different picture of the Indian minds.

^It could be true, but thats not the issue here. The issue is that indian govt banning the documentary.

Both sides, BBC and the Indian govt, are trying to control the image of India. One is trying to tarnish it and the other wants it to be good.

@Nemesis
Chill. BBC, like many other news agency, is as much a propaganda organization as it is a news agency . Do not take them too seriously.

Do not underestimate media's ability to create new realities. Change the focus slightly and you get a completely different story. One could as easily have documented the widespread protests (by both men and women) that took place after the rape and gotten a completely different picture of the Indian minds.
You just proved my point in #5. Instead of the message, lets attack the messenger who dare say anything against our glorious country.

okay, I will give you one more chance. point me in the documentary where it's spreading propaganda and/or showing India in a bad image falsely.

You just proved my point in #5. Instead of the message, lets attack the messenger who dare say anything against our glorious country.

okay, I will give you one more chance. point me in the documentary where it's spreading propaganda and/or showing India in a bad image falsely.

This is not just a messenger. You should educate yourself on how 'activists' and 'do gooders' work in the modern world.

For your second point, too many to count. A recent example would be how they kept writing $hit about our prime minister long after he was elected (and after he had been exonerated by our Supreme Court). It became so bad that a British MP had to tell them to stop. I have had some personal experience of BBC removing my politically 'incorrect' posts from their message board after it had been voted as the number one.

EDIT: Here you go

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...gative-light-during-election-coverage-1992792

Last edited:
What the criminal is saying: is basically the mindset of Indian men. It should not be suppressed and should be shown to the whole world what a vile and horrendous nation India is for the status of females. I hope this documentary goes viral and all tourists stop coming to India, companies stop investing here, and the world leaves India to be a black-hole so we can sort out our problems -maybe- in 100 years. Then we can re-start and call ourselves the biggest democracy with pride...! And not actually what we are: a nation of chauvinistic bigots, treating women like animals, and culling their lives in the womb. Show us Indians the reality and truth we throw a hissy-fit, and get all defensive pulling out daggers and knives. Sickening.

The world should see the true picture of India, rather than the Taj Mahal and Modi's rhetoric in NY city.

Back