New Year Resolution!!

Jc36

Adept
Sorry for the truly terrible pun :p

Dnt1tmK.jpg

UHeLRmh.jpg

27 inches of 4k IPS goodness. 31.6k. Swivel, rotate and height adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_165025.jpg
    IMG_20161231_165025.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 300
congratulations and how much damage and what graphic card are your using right now
and welcome to 4k club :)

Please update the pro and cons of monitor, I am looking for a budget friendly 4k monitor for photoshop and 3d.
And happy new year everyone :)

Hmm, from a day of usage:

Pros:

- The price is too attractive for what it offers. 27", 4k, IPS panel, 10 bit, 99% sRGB coverage. The Samsung 4k 27" is 40k+ and is a TN panel.
- Has Freesync. Those with AMD cards will be happy.
- No backlight bleed, at least on my copy. No dead pixels.
- Provision for VESA mount.
- Very solid stand. All the youtube videos I checked criticized the stand as flimsy, I think LG have updated it since. Made of heavy plastic, keeps the monitor fairly steady.
- Has height adjust, again something which online videos mentioned as lacking.
- Rotation adjust, from landscape to portrait.
- Thin bezels, adds to the overall image quality.
- Single thumb knob based control, easy to use and intuitive.
- Cable clip on stand.

Cons:

- Scaling is absolutely must due to so many pixels in 27" panel. 150% scaling in Windows 10 recommended. But that's not only for this monitor, all 27" 4k monitors will need scaling
- No side to side swivel.
- Has its own power brick, might be a bother for some.

Real Cons:

- You will blow through your data cap quickly seeing and showing off all the 4k demos and videos on youtube.
- 4k rips are 50+gb each
- You will scoff and smirk when other people show you fullHD content.
- Your brand new graphics card will give half FPS in 4k, you will have turn to down some settings to high or medium.

If you are a content creator you will love this. Colors will immediately pop out more from the IPS panel and the high resolution will give you added real estate for photo or video processing. For gamers its a mixed bag. You will have to compromise between fps and ultra settings, you will immediately notice bad textures in games which were previously hidden behind fullHD. On the other hand you will forget about anti-aliasing, everything will be sharp as a knife and the colors will look fantastic.

Yeah, the Samsung model was around 34-35k after promo, but glad to see LG offers similar configuration with even more attractive price.
And I think this monitor should work out for me...
Thanks for this detailed review :)

Query about the "10 bit" part... the tech specs say it's "8 bit with A-FRC", searching around online I guess most normal priced panels use this faux 10-bit thing and most people are happy with it. For true 10-bit you probably need like one of those Dell UltraSharp models with "PremierColor" label.

Do you notice any improvement with the colour wise, considering this "10bit" feature? But I guess you're already saying it's excellent from your summary post :D

I'm really itching to get a 4K display but sadly the new mobo I got (ASUS H170-PRO) does not have a DisplayPort to support full 60hz at 4K which apparently my Skylake i5-6500 CPU supports - made a bit of a mis-step there - the H170-PRO-GAMING model has it.

Eh, coming from a cheap TN panel I don't think I can notice the difference between 8bit and 10bit. The colors are obviously much better and vibrant, not sure if that's due to a "true" 10bit or just being an IPS panel. However, I do have the option to select 10 bit in NVidia control panel. I also did some gradient testing in an HEVC player and they looked pretty smooth to me. If you have a better way of testing let me know and I will check it out.

10bit.png

SP Road, Bangalore. I was quoted 34 in October, price has come down a bit. No input lag that I can discern. You have to increase the dpi though, there is a lot of ground to cover in the desktop.

SP Road, Bangalore. I was quoted 34 in October, price has come down a bit. No input lag that I can discern. You have to increase the dpi though, there is a lot of ground to cover in the desktop.
Thanks for the response, this may be my next monitor! You are based out of Bangalore? which area?

Haha yeah I do. On topic of the monitor, there are some hurdles and shortcomings which the user has to work around or accept. It is mainly the UI scaling in fullscreen applications. Modern games will have proper 4k support which includes UI scaling, but older games will support the resolution but not scale up the UI. This results in microscopic UI elements, HUDs and dialogue choices. Some games will have mods for it, but in some games you will just have to squint.

Windows scaling is also not as good as Macs. You need to scale the display, then set zoom levels in browsers and also change the font size in advanced display options. It takes some work, but 4k is relatively new and with time all these will be fixed.

So, thanks to this thread (and an aging current display) I've also pulled the trigger and just now ordered this off amazon! But it cost me 36k, you got a great deal, online MRP is 38k on the LG website. Should be delivered in a few days before next weekend.

I just hope it at least displays 4K resolution and works without too many issues with my current CPU/mobo (no discrete GPU) and an old Belkin "high speed 10 gbps" HDMI cable I have lying around which I bought a couple of years ago (still sealed in package) even if it doesn't manage the wider colour 10bit gamut or only manages a 24 or 30 Hz refresh rate.

I might later on just get a cheap GPU card (with DisplayPort) but not really interested right now because I dual boot Windows and Linux and want to avoid driver issues. I don't do gaming or graphics/editing etc, mostly web browsing and just plan to try a few Youtube 4K videos on this thing.

My current (nearly 9 year old!) Dell model E248WFP (24 inch TN panel at 1920x1200) which I got in early 2008 for 18k has been starting to show it's age too (backlight faded in the top half and some flickering) so that can serve as my justification to spend and hopefully there's no buyer's remorse for this new one :D

Great! What CPU do you have? The Intel HD 5500 igp can push upto 4k at 24hz over HDMI, 60hz over display port. I had a Dell S2409W myself, also 8 years old, developed some spots and dead pixels but very usable.

CPU is the i5-6500 and it can do similar video: https://ark.intel.com/products/88184/Intel-Core-i5-6500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz - if only I had been more thoughtful when buying the mobo a year ago (if I got the ASUS H170 PRO Gaming model instead of the plain H170 PRO) I would have been all set :)

But anyway that can be fixed if needed later on, first I'm just hoping for no issues with the monitor that I get to start with, fingers crossed, touchwood.

Was looking at the AMD Radeon RX 460 (2GB) models (like MSI or HIS) for around 9-10k if I need to get a GPU (prefer not to fiddle with upgrading the mobo) considering apparently the Linux built-in "AMDGPU" driver support seems to be decent.

CPU is the i5-6500 and it can do similar video: https://ark.intel.com/products/88184/Intel-Core-i5-6500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz - if only I had been more thoughtful when buying the mobo a year ago (if I got the ASUS H170 PRO Gaming model instead of the plain H170 PRO) I would have been all set :)

But anyway that can be fixed if needed later on, first I'm just hoping for no issues with the monitor that I get to start with, fingers crossed, touchwood.

Was looking at the AMD Radeon RX 460 (2GB) models (like MSI or HIS) for around 9-10k if I need to get a GPU (prefer not to fiddle with upgrading the mobo) considering apparently the Linux built-in "AMDGPU" driver support seems to be decent.
If at all you plan to get a GPU, add 1-2k extra to get Sapphire or Asus RX 460 4GB as these can be further unlocked as suggested by @bssunilreddy in following link
https://www.techenclave.com/community/index.php?threads/182784/

Back