Budget Above 25K New Phone Advice Please...Really Confused I am.

dilpreet

Disciple
Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: INR 35K(Can Extend lil bit if its really worth it)

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 5.2"-5.5", Frankly speaking i cant figure out the difference in most of the screens.All i need is minimum of Full HD resolution(I know it sound silly)

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Marshmallow and above

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G Minimum(Planning to go for JIO sim :)

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network.I prefer a known brand.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera,Emails,Facebook,Whatsapp(I dont do gaming and all and use the phone for general stuff)

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A:I am currently using Xperia Z2 and i am damn happy with this handset.No issues since i have owned it.Loved every moment.My priority is good camera and good battery life.My current phone gives me approx 5/5+Hours SOT with 40% brightness and lasts easily for 1.5-2 days.The usage is moderate throughout.Prefer a SD card slot otherwise the current SD card will get wasted.Otherwise 64 GB will suffice for me.
Sony almost provided Vanila Andriod experience which even i prefer.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: One Plus 3(But Battery is a concern),Xperia X dual(But price is not worth i guess)

OnePlus 3 is a great choice.
I would say wait for the Honor 8 which will give a better camera (Same as P9) smaller size and better battery life .
The Kirin chipset is lightning fast, check the real world reviews... it's as fast as any flagship. Actually, it beats SD820 other than heavy gaming.
Only problem with the Honor 8 is some people do not like the EMUI skin

Otherwise, wait for the new Google Nexus/Pixel devices. The Smaller one should be within your budget.
Comes with great chipset and superb camera (latest Sony IMX378 sensor) and promise of guranteed updates and bug fixes from google. Should launch by 1st week of October.

Sorry but Sony seems to have lost the plot. Overprices phones, small battery and even their camera is worse than competition even when they supply sensors to other companies.

In fact, I will also buy one of these after the launch of the new Google phones

@aadi007 Thanks for your suggestion. Infact i was just checking and found the Moto x play which meets the battery requirement But i am not sure about the camaro because now which ever phone should have better or atleast on par camera than my xperia z2. About the nexus devices will it be a global lunch or is it that i have to wait for it to lunch in india after the official lunch? For sony even i feel sorry because to be frank i would love to own another sony phone But the price is not justified and i even heard that sony is now not focussing on india as a major market as they feel the growth here will be very less so it might happen that sony might close down their phone busniess in india.

You are right about Sony.. they are not going to focus on India. And the way their phones are currently, I don't think anyone will miss them.

Moto X play - please stay away. It's a generation old, the chipset is not great, only 2 GB RAM, no fingerprint scanner etc.

If you are okay with 5.5" devices, One plus 3 is the best bet. You can also wait for the new Moto and Google phones to launch.
Google phones should be available in India by October-November. Reportedly, they will be called Pixel and Pixel XL .. Nexus line will be dead.

I am looking for 5" devices. So my choices are limited. Waiting for launch of ZUK Z2, Honor 8 and Google Pixel to decide. Else, the MI5 is there.

@Spacescreamer ,@viktik ,@aadi007 -Thanks fellas for your suggestions.
I am lil bit skeptical about Honor i mean its a chinese brand not sure if spending on it would be a good idead.Also i checked online and as you guys suggested to wait for Pixel.Along with that i also came accross Moto X Force and the specs looks good but then again its 36k+ which again i believe is not that VFM only for that shatter proof screen.One more thing is that would you suggest Iphone7 ?I mean i can get it from US so would that be worth the pain ?

@bigbyte->My First Android phone was the Note 1 and i was preety happy with it but i dunno i dont get that feeling or urge to buy a samsung again.Thats again my personal opinion.Mopreover i have heard that after a year or so samsung phones have this issue with the memory management where it slows down or starts lagging up.Dont know if its true but heard it from a lot of friends.

Believe me, if you are ready to spend that kind of money on an Android phone, you can't get a better phone than S7 at the moment. However nothing beats when it comes to personal preference. I suggest that buying chinese brands should be strictly restricted to under 15-20k.

First of all, with your budget, no point in getting a older generation phone with older chipset and specs. So, Moto X play/force should be out of contention.

Second - Huawei P9 is a superb phone and the camera is class leading. I have read and seen at least 20 reviews of P9 and the camera is awesome and in some cases beats the Galax7 S7 hands down whereas the S7 is better in very low light conditions.
But at 40K, the P9 does not make sense particularly when the Honor 8 should be available at <=30K with same specs, extra 1 GB RAM, IR blaster, but without Leica branding.Obviously, if you are not okay with the Huawei/Honor brand, don't buy it. But, note that Huawei is the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer in the world.

Safe choice will be the Galaxy S7. Samsung has improved the UI a lot and I don't think S7 will lag even 2 years down the line.

I think it is better to wait for the new Pixel phones' launch and then decide particularly if you want a more pure Android experience.

Cheers!

I read the articles which throw some light on the Pixel family and based upon that the ones with 5 inch screen is the one which would suit me but based upon the rumours they will be packing a 2770 mah battery which again brings the battery backup question as to how good would it be.But anyways looks like i have to wait for the official launch to decide.Any other handsets you would like to suggest?

How does the Oneplus 3 perform against the S7 edge? I am in the same fix as OP and can't decide between the S7E and OP3. Getting S7E for 38k in the grey market. Is it worth the extra premium over the OP3?
Or, should i wait for some other phones to launch?
I am coming from a LG G4 and using a Redmi Note 3 currently. My main requirements are 1. good battery life and 2. a good display. Rest is all i can live with.

@ Gauge->In that case i guess YOU will be disappointed with the OP3 as the battery backup is not great ,infact that the only reason which is stopping me from buying it.For s7 i guess the battery backup is better than the OP3 but then i am not sure if its good enough on its won to become a deciding factor.
Sonty once had both a awesome camer and a awesome battery backup but now looks like they have starting retreating from the Indian market which is sad.I have checked the MOTO(Play and Force) series which satisfies the battery requirement(not sure of the camera requirement)but then everyone is of the view that not to go for a older chipset which again makes sense to me.

@ Gauge->In that case i guess YOU will be disappointed with the OP3 as the battery backup is not great ,infact that the only reason which is stopping me from buying it.For s7 i guess the battery backup is better than the OP3 but then i am not sure if its good enough on its won to become a deciding factor.
Sonty once had both a awesome camer and a awesome battery backup but now looks like they have starting retreating from the Indian market which is sad.I have checked the MOTO(Play and Force) series which satisfies the battery requirement(not sure of the camera requirement)but then everyone is of the view that not to go for a older chipset which again makes sense to me.

Dash charging makes it up for the battery life on the OP3. A colleague has one and he easily gets a SOT of around 4.30 hrs on LTE. This is far better than what i got on the G4 but doesn't even comes close to what i get on the Redmi Note 3.
Don't get the Moto X Play. The Style is good but it lacks the VoLTE support and packs SD808 which is not a good performer when compared to current flagships with SD820.
LG v20 is going to launch soon but i dont think it will be priced any less than 45k at launch and after my experience with the G4, i doubt if i'll even touch a LG device with a stick.
I am, in the end, left with OP3 vs S7E to decide whether or whether not to spend the extra 10k?

S7 has few advantages over the OP3 - better camera, water-resistance, better battery backup (20-25% more based on feedback from people) , higher resolution display (doesn't matter to me) and smaller size (non-edge one).
Whether these factors are important you have to decide.
Also, comparing grey market prices is not the correct way. If you compare regular prices, S7 is 15K more than OP3.
For me, smaller form factor and battery life is very very important. So, I have decided to wait for the Pixel phones and Honor 8.
The Pixel 5" is having 2770 mah battery which is a concern but let us wait for the actual reviews to see how it performs. I am not sure if the screen is LCD or AMOLED. AMOLED wud help with battery life.

@Gauge ->Ur friend who owns a OP3 gets 4:30 Hours of SOT on a single charge? Also whats the brightness he has set the screen to?Can you let me know because if its 4:30 Hours then thats more than enough for me.Would really appreciate if you can get the information.Secondly even i am planning to wait for the Pixel series although i am not very confident about the battery backup becuase of 2 things:-
12770 mah battery
Atop of that if the manufacturer is HTC then its even worse as HTC phones have never been known for a good battery backup
But lets see.
The MOTOX Force usesSnapdragon 810 which is a decent one but then it does not have dual SIM so again it falls short on something

@bigbyte I know few people who are importers and distributers and get phones from Europe, Singapore and such places. I was quoted 37.5k for S7E from such a guy based in Chennai. Though i am not sure if spending this much on an imported phone is appropriate or not.
@dilpreet He's getting this SOT on 45% brightness with Adaptive brightness being turned off. These figures are based on a single charge. I've read on xda that people managed to get a SOT of around 5.30 hrs with their usage. Though the SOT thing is purely subjective and varues as per usage patterns.

Last edited:
Back